Rest in Peace, Freddie Hopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest in Peace, Freddie Hopper

This evening's mail brings notice from Anna Hopper of the death last Friday evening of her husband Freddie, also known in many quarters as John Hopper.

A long time member of the Company of Military Historians, Freddie has a long list of accomplishments in the area of historic research and preservation, both in his home country, the United Kingdom, and in the United States. Most recently he has made invaluable contributions to the work being done with the McRae Papers.

After a long career in military related endeavours, his retirement years were often occupied as a civilian reenactor. His membership in the Winston Free-State brought great pleasure to all of us, but most especially to our children, who loved his ready smile, his stories, and his pocketful of candy.

We will miss him. Words cannot express---this has been a year of loss, taken in stride, in the natural course of life, and yet, this particular loss is somehow deeper and sadder, maybe because we had hoped to see him again come spring, at the Perryville Horse Races, since he could not come visit last summer.

And, in some small way, we will see him--there is a likeness of him, embrodierd on a quilt, hanging at that Battlefield, looking very much as the image below.

Terre Lawson
    Winston Free State, First Confederate Legion, AOT

Freddie Hopper--Perryville On The Farm
    Attached Files
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: Rest in Peace, Freddie Hopper

I didn't know the gentleman but my prayers will go out to his family and for his soul. May he rest in peace.

Ronnie - Shreveport
    Ronnie Hull
    Lt Co G 3rd La / Co C 48th OVI
    Shreveport, La

Independent Rifles and all of hell followed "
    Western Independent Greys

Descendent of Levi W. Leech - Private, Co G Tenth Texas Cavalry, Dmtd 1861-1865, AOT

2009 Bummers November 13 - 16
    2010 Vicksburg L.O.L February 5-7
    Before the Breakout September 10-12

Comment

My prayers and condolences to Freddie's family. It's not often that you meet someone for the first time and decide to adopt them as part of your family. Anna and Freddie were such a sweet couple. I will always remember their smiles and have missed them both terribly since they've been back in the UK.

This is truly a great loss to all of us.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
      Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

What an unexpected surprise. My heart goes out to you, Anna.

While the Hoppers weren't able to be physically at Perryville on the Farm last summer, they were there in proxy with an outstanding quilt square contributed to the community quilt. It was a scene including both the Hoppers as they remembered their surroundings at the 2006 event. I'm pleased that the square was given a place of honor in the middle of the quilt and honored to have been the one to complete the quilting of the square.

I'll be one of those folks who'll miss Freddie's stories and sense of humor.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Anna,

Beth & I will Keep you in our prayers. He will be greatly missed in our "family".

May the Lord be with you.

John & Beth
          Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
          John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

God bless you, Miss Anna. What a privilege it was to have met you and Freddie and experienced the pleasure of your company at Perryville in 2006.
            [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
            [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

My condolences to you Mrs Hopper. I am sorry to hear of your loss. :(
              Ron Mueller
              Illinois
              New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
              Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
              Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Some people come into our lives who are instantly an important part of our life. The Hoppers are those people. Mr. Freddie will be missed greatly. His wonderful smile will alway grace my memories of him.

With a sad heart for Mrs. Anna,

Beverly Simpson

Comment

John was a good friend and a first rate chum. I will truly miss him. I was looking forward to seeing him and Anna again and was hoping that they would be able to make it over for an event. John was a good man and it was always a pleasure sitting and talking to him. God bless him and my sincerest condolences to Anna.

Rick Musselman
                  [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Rick Musselman[/FONT]
                  Director of Education, Carriage Hill Farm, Dayton, Ohio
                  President, Midwest Open-Air Museums Coordinating Council (MOMCC)
                  Palestine #158, F. & A.M.

Comment

Thank you everyone for all your kind thoughts and words.

Freddie and I have missed you all so much since our return to UK. We so enjoyed our time in US and especially treasured the friendships made amongst the ACW civilians.
                    At the time it seemed so hard, however, Freddie's health declined so much that he wouldn't have been able to cope with the travelling any more.

Freddie passed very peacefully.
                    He complained of feeling 'funny' and slipped into unconsciousness. He had died before the ambulance arrived.
                    I am thankful that I was with him and could hold him.
                    He was the light of my life. My rock. My best friend. My gentle giant.

Freddies funeral will be on monday 10th march at 11.45 gmt.
                    Please pray for his soul as well as for the rest of us as we learn to live without him.

Best Wishes

Anna
                    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
                    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
                    Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

My sincere condolences for your loss Mrs. Hopper. I never had the privilege of meeting either of you, but you and your family will be in my prayers.

Kind Regards,
                      Regards,
                      Scott Dallimore
                      14th SCVI Co. I "McCalla's Rifles"
                      Reedy River Mess - 16th S.C. The Greenville Rg't
                      -------------------------------------

Comment

Only just found out this terrible news, John and myself were researching Britain's role in aiding the Confederacy, and his loss is a terrible blow.

John was a true authority on S Isaac Campbell & Co, as well as British Army accoutrements imported to the South.
                        My condolences to you Anna, it was always his wish that his work on S Isaac Campbell would one day be published - lets hope it will be.
                        Its a superb piece of work, that took him years, and is a tribute to a wonderful historian.

Dave Burt, ACWS, England.
                        David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Anna, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Freddie was such a delight to know and we will feel his loss greatly, for his research and for his kind and convivial spirit. Our hearts go out to you.

Deborah Hyland & Larry Brenton
                          Regards,
                          Deborah Hyland
                          dance mistress

Comment

Working...
                          X