John Henry Kurtz, 08 March ,2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Henry Kurtz, 08 March ,2008

This past Saturday our community lost another giant . John Henry we will miss you!

KURTZ, JOHN HENRY 62 - of Cape May, died Saturday morning after a valiant battle with cancer. He graduated from Havertown High School, Class of 1963. He then served in the US Navy and was a Vietnam veteran. John Henry (as he was known by all) was born in Havertown, Pa., formerly lived in Manhattan Beach, Cal. and Vail, Col., and has lived between New York City and Cape May since 1980. John Henry was a member of the Screen Actors Guild. He is best known for his multi-talented voice on Broadway and on television. He is the announcer and voice of NBC Nightly News, Court TV, numerous commercials, and several other shows. He quite often works from his studio in Cape May. He has been an actor on Broadway and on television, including shows such as Law & Order. He had also recorded several records with ABC Records. He was a former Wildwood and Wildwood Crest Life Guard. In recent years he enjoyed walking the beaches of Cape May and talking with the numerous friends on the Cape May Beach Patrol. John Henry is one of the premier Civil War artifacts collectors in the United States, as this has been his passion since age 14. He was the organizer of the band 'Country Coalition'. He was also a bagpiper. John Henry is survived by: a brother, William "Yogi" Kurtz and his wife Karen, of Cape May; nieces and nephews- Justin and Kristen Kurtz of Kaui, Hawaii; Lauren Kurtz, of Carlsbad, Cal; and Jessica and Joseph Bruce, of Cape May. Funeral Services will be celebrated on Wednesday, March 12th, at 12 noon in the Sudak-Danaher Funeral Home, 815 Washington St., Cape May. Relatives and friends may call Wednesday at the funeral home from 10:30 to 12 noon. Burial will be private. Donations are suggested in his memory to: Brendon Borek High Tides Memorial Fund, PO Box 41, Avalon, NJ 08202-0041 or to the Ronald McDonald House, 3925 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Pa. 19104.
    Last edited by BarryDusel; 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM. Reason: Grammer.
    Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Re: John Henry Kurtz, 08 March ,2008

John Henry was a treasure.

He re-enacted quite a bit back in the 70s & 80s, I believe with the 5th New Hampshire. He was strictly a Union re-enactor, but he had the look and the gestalt of a Union officer down to a T, he was Union staff reincarnate. If you look at the wet plate image of the Union command shown at the beginning of the movie Gettysburg, you'll see John Henry in there, (he was a tall, big man).

I think he was a veteran of the Centennial. I have many fond memories of serving in the field with him at Cedar Creek, Sailor's Creek, and Gettysburg.

He was also a talented musician, he played the Civil War banjo and even put out an album (LP- big round black CD like thing for you younger folks) of Civil War music back in the 60s.

He had an incredible collection that he liked to share. I remember one exhibit he displayed at the Gettysburg show was just bullet struck uniforms and equipment.

I remember one time him lamenting about his van being vandalized while parked in NYC, stolen from it were armloads of hand sewn Schreiber leathers and Charlie Child's uniforms. We mused that the irony was that whoever took them had no idea what he was stealing and probably didn't know what to do with them.

John Henry was a giant in the Civil War collecting and re-enacting world. We won't forget you.

Greg Starbuck
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

That is Renaissance man John Henry in the middle of this photo on County Cloth's website. http://www.crchilds.com/id4.htm He was a good comrade and as Greg says one of the giants of the CW collecting...and quite a soldier. On the set of Gettysburg he kept us all entertained during the large amount of downtime. That remains a fond memory.

His voice graced everything from the Classic Images Videos (125th events) all the way through any number of programs and commercials you have heard.

Rest in Peace John Henry.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I remember John Henry from my involvement with the National Regiment back in the early 1990's. He certainly made an impression on me and won't be forgotten.

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Truley a great man that will be missed !!!
          Tim Cole

Comment

I have many fond memories of John Henry back in the days of the Mudsill's & Warren's Brigade working together.
            Rest in Peace, Comrade
            Brian Baird

Comment

Damn, now that's a shock. John Henry was indeed a giant of a man, and was funny as all get out.

He was with the 5th NH, and one of my favorite stories involves him. Back in the mid-80's, at Saylor's Creek, there were a number of us sharing some libations to ward off the rain, and boy, it wasn't working one bit. The rain kept coming down in buckets. John Henry, Greg Heppe, Dave Nelson, myseff, Dave Jurgella and a few others finally decided to try and get some sleep. Several were in their cups, and I remember Greg Heppe not quite making it to his tent. He fell asleep on the company street, and someone asked what we should do with him. John Henry looked thoughtfully for a moment, then tossed a blanket and poncho over the prostrate form of the good Captain Heppe. Someone enquired if we should really leave him there, and John Henry replied "I wouldn't worry about it. The human body is remarkably resilient to water." :)

John Henry was, indeed, a treasure, and a good and decent fellow.

Rest in Peace, Comrade.
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
              X