This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sad News

Very sad indeed! If you took the time to speak with Charles, you would find one who truly cared about the hobby and the history. He will certainly be missed.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
    Palmetto Living History Association
    [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
    October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

To all,
      My condolences to Bev and the Heath family. He was a good man and will be missed. I will miss him at the camp fire at Spangler's and Pitzer's Woods this summer. Our events will be dedicated to Mr. Heath.

God speed my friend
      Art Stone
      13th N.J.V.
      Co."K"
      " Rally, Boys Rally"
      Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

I must say that it was good to see him at ITPW. He cooked a good many meals for myself and my mess mates. Ill never forget the day he taught my mess mates how to get the water into a canteen out of a stream. (Boy you put your cup in the water and then pour it into your canteen, its a good thing im not your officer ide have you wipped good...)Words from ITPW....

We have truely lost a good friend.

R.I.P Mr. Heath

Christain Jebb
        Last edited by David Dalton; 05-25-2009, 03:37 PM. Reason: miss spelled word
        Christian Jebb

(Double D)

Comment

Never met Charles but he sent me this last week:

If you receive an invitation to a "Camp Lee, 1861" event slated for 2011 from some young bucks you probably don't know too well, please take some time to listen to what they say. The site is likely to be north of Richmond, and the event is designed last longer than just a weekend.

Charles

We had some mild words several years ago and then he came back and put in a plug for my painted oil cloths. I wish that I had had a chance to meet and talk to him. I pray that his family will find some peace during this sad time.
          Claude Sinclair
          Palmetto Battalion

Comment

THE SAME CANTEEN
            by Private Miles O'Reilly

There are bonds of all sorts in this world of ours,
            Fetters of friendship and ties of flowers,
            And true lover's knots, I ween;
            The girl and the boy are bound by a kiss,
            But there's never a bond, old friend, like this,
            We have drank from the same Canteen!

It was sometimes water, and sometimes milk,
            And sometimes apple-jack "fine as silk;"
            But whatever the tipple has been
            We shared it together in bane or bliss,
            And I warm to you, friend, when I think of this,
            We drank from the same Canteen!

The rich and great sit down to dine,
            They quaff to each other in sparkling wine,
            From glasses of crystal and green;
            But I guess in their golden potations they miss
            The warmth of regard to be found in this,

We have shared our blankets and tents together,
            And have marched and fought in all kinds of weather,
            And hungry and full we have been;
            Had days of battle and days of rest,
            But this memory I cling to and love the best,

For when wounded I lay on the center slope,
            With my blood flowing fast and so little hope
            Upon which my faint spirit could lean;
            Oh! then I remember you crawled to my side,
            And bleeding so fast it seemed both must have died,

Charles,
            I will miss your post on the A.C. the most .They were always over my head and had to read them several time to figures them out. It was a pleasure to share cooking details,tent,liquor and stories with you. See you on the other side.
            Jerry Ross
            Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
            Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

I knew Charles only through his posts. This is sad for such a young and knowledgable man. My sincere condolences to his family.

In a world full of copies, he certainly seemed to be a true original.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I think Art Stone said it best Charles was like an Encylopedia.I'll miss his skill and wit at the cookfire and will cherish the 12th Corps badge he crafted for us out of scrap lead at Spanglers.Bev my condolences and congratulations.....living with Charles must have been an outstanding experience. He will be missed.
                Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Charles had the ability to rub some people the wrong way including myself on a number of occasions. But, I never let that color my view of him as a truly well read, informed and intelligent individual who gave alot in terms of progressing the hobby. When I became interested in attending my first authentic event I voiced some concern about inadequacies in my kit on this forum. Charles was one of the first to encourage me to attend and gave me some advice on how to improve my impression.

Despite his sometimes lacking certain social graces and tact his contributions to the hobby should be respected and appreciated. My sincere condolences go out to his wife and family. Rest in peace Charles.
                  David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                  MLK Mess
                  Black Hat Boys
                  WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Somebody is eating well in Heaven :-)..and receiving an earful. GodSpeed, freind Charles. We will miss ya'

Buddy Zech
                    1st MN Lincoln Guard

Comment

The passing of a legend.......
                      A shock really.
                      Spence Waldron~
                      Coffee cooler

"Straggled out and did not catch up."

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Heath at the Spangler event last year for the first time. Nice fellow and a first rate living historian. Really quite a shock to have someone pass so suddenly and yet it is a sober reminder to us all that our time here is finite. Rest in peace Mr. Heath and God's speed to you.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the poem of the Shared Canteen. It was good to meet Charles at ITPW after reading his humorous and knowledgeable posts here.
                          His little photo icon of him wearing the red cap made me think he might be a ribald 30-year-old, and after meeting him I suspect that's what he was inside most of the time. A large section of 'the hobby' has fallen, and we'll have to carry on, but it won't be the same and we'll never forget him.
                          We will not weep for having known him but we will surely weep that no more memories will be made with him.
                          Say hello to all my ancestors for me, sir. We love you.
                          Hank Van Slyke
                          "Cousin Hank"
                          [URL="http://www.flatfenders.com/scv/camp1745.htm"]3rd Texas Light Artillery[/URL]
                          Orange, Texas

Comment

Someone compared me to Charles a while ago. I will treasure that comparison as long as I live.

I miss you Chawls.

Rob
                            Rob Murray

Comment

Rob/All-

I hoped your e-mail was in error, but now I see it isn't. Charles was my friend and he made many of my events better by his being there.

We travelled to Marmy's together 24 hours... we met at Piney. He was always a good laugh and a good friend.

I'm shocked and saddened. Ms. Bev, my condolences to you.

-Johnny Lloyd
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

When I read this on the OTB this morning it hit me hard. Charles Heath was a one-of-a-kind fellow. His loss will be felt. What he has done for this hobby, whether folks realized it at the time or not, cannot be replaced. He riled some folks up but I think he always hit the nail on the head.

The posts here and on other forums have underscored how much this one man meant to so many.

I've spoken to folks from Alabama, to Minnesota, Louisiana, and Texas throughout the day and I think it hit all of us hard. I imagine that it has hit his wife and family the hardest.

I most recently spent four days and nights around Charles at Into the Piney Woods. I'll remember those times and treasure them. Without a doubt he went much too soon.

Frank Aufmuth sent me this after BGR and I've always liked it.

"Who knows but it may be given to us after this life, to meet again in the old quarters, to play chess and draughts, to get up soon and answer the morning roll call, to fall in at the tap of the drum for drill and dress parade and again to hastily don our war gear while the monotonous platter of the long roll summons to battle?

Who knows but again the old flags ragged and torn, snapping in the wind, may face each other and flutter pursuing and pursued, while the cries of victory fill a summer day?

And after the battle then the slain and wounded will arise and all will meet together under the two flags, all sound and well and there will be talking and laughter and cheers and all will say: Did it not seem real? Was it not as in the old days?"

Regards,
                                Last edited by Gallo de Cielo; 05-25-2009, 08:16 PM.
                                Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X