This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sad News

This is a tragedy for the hobby. The Chawls was a true champion of Civil War reenacting, a fantastic storyteller and a sincere student of history. He had some of the greatest one-liners ever uttered.

My deepest condolences for his family.

Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri Infantry
    Independent Volunteer Battalion
    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

I'll miss "the Chawls". He gave me advice enough as I developed my own commissary impression. A pain in the a$$ sometimes -- you bet. A storehouse of knowledge, willing to share -- absolutely.

RIP Charles.

Ron Myzie

Comment

Just a quick thought as I get throught he surealness of this most tragic news...

Other than the online debates; I only met Charles, in the flesh a little over a year ago at the GMH event. It's amazing how much of an impact this 'Man's Man' had in my life in that brief period. And his readiness to jump in Ole Whitey at a moments notice to help kick-off some long-needed projects...Yes The Chawls was always ready to give the hobby an enema...and a I supose that goes for all the individuals out there like myself who needed more than a few...

Considering how much The Chawls has done for the advancement of the human condition, with special emphasis on our twisted history-based hobby...wouldn't it be appropriate to dedicate the June Cover of the AC to him??

Paul B.

(whose now missing his greatest teacher)
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

A man who will be long remembered both good and bad. RIP.
          Frank Perkin

Comment

I just got off the phone with Bev and have the arrangements.

The funeral will be held on Friday at 11 a.m. at the Douglas A. Fiery Funeral Home in Hagerstown, MD. The address is 1331 Eastern Blvd. North, Hagerstown, MD, 21752, and the website is here: http://www.douglasfiery.com/

Charles did not want an obituary, and in lieu of flowers, Bev requests that you make donations to the CWPT in Charles' name.

In addition, following the service, Bev will have a brief luncheon/get-together at her house. She and her family will have cold cuts, etc., there, but if you want or can bring some sort of side dish, that would be welcomed. She does need to have an idea of the number of people coming to her house after the funeral, so if you could just email me to let me know, I'll pass that back to her. We need to know no later than Thursday if you are coming to the house. My email is col90@yahoo.com

She told me that she has had a chance to look at some of the the things you have been posting here. I hope that someone here who is web savvy can archive these wonderful memories of Charles for her.

Colleen Formby
            [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
            [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
            [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

Colleen,

Thanks for keeping us informed. And thanks for helping Bev during this time.
              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Paul and I talked this morning and we decided that it would be appropriate to put Charles' picture on the June cover of the AC to honor his contributions to the hobby. We have already selected the final three photos for June. The vote for those images will be held at the end of next month.

Our sincere condolences to Bev and to Charles' family. This is a shock to all of us, but most of all to them. He will obviously be missed.
                ERIC TIPTON
                Former AC Owner

Comment

All these grand remembrances of The Chawls brought to my mind yet another couple of thoughts. Those that attended the 07 living history at Shiloh that Jim Butler alluded to earlier will always remember that not only was Charles a superb logistical juggernaut, but a master lyricist as well. Who will ever forget Charles' special version of Dixie with his very own adlibbed, albeit NC17 rated words, added to it. That event marked a milestone in my reenacting career for two reasons, one being around so many like-minded historians who set the bar higher and higher with each task, and Charles pulling me to the side after my company picked up breakfast and complimenting me on letting my privates and NCO's eat first before I did as the orderly sergeant. I knew I had arrived after that....
                  Ross L. Lamoreaux
                  rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

God rest his soul.

Comment

I knew him really only by PM or the answers about my jokes on various subjects, I have crossed to IPW without seeing him really, but his jokes always made me laugh, he always had the good word and the good joke...
                      My best regards to his family and to his friends...

William
                      Last edited by Mcouioui; 05-26-2009, 03:45 PM.
                      William Miconnet
                      French Mess
                      AES
                      BGR & IPW Survivor
                      Never ever give up!
                      In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                      I believe!

Comment

I was privelleged to meet Charles at IPW and he made all us Brits so welcome.
                        We first met Charles in Shoney,s in Natchitoches Louisiana and had a joke and a laugh.

My sympathy and condolences go out to his Family and friends.

May he rest in peace.

J.T.
                        Jason Tailford

LazyJacks Mess
                        Liberty Rifles.

ITPW
                        Bummers.

Comment

Thanks, my European comrades. Anyone who was a POW with me on Wednesday night at IPW will remember Charles as the old man with the bowl of soup, making sure we were fed. He was one of my best friends, probably my best friend, in the hobby. Losing him is a heavy blow.

Billy Birney
                          CRs
                          William Birney
                          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Charles was indeed a force in the hobby, and in some ways he was something of a force of nature. As a former member of the CR I saw both the good and the malevolent sides of Charles, and had the opportunity to work with him on various projects throughout the years. One thing no one can deny was his passion for this hobby. Without a doubt he poured more of his heart and soul into reenacting than anyone I ever knew of.

But Charles also had another passion that no one has mentioned here. He was deeply devoted to his animals. Being horse people, he and I had numerous conversations about his horse Sebastian, and his various mules, Kit, Holly, and the other odds and ends of livestock that he and Bev kept about the place. Charles took a great deal of pride in working his little corner of land and taking care of the critters who lived there.

Rest in Peace.

Tom Craig
                            Tom Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                              Colleen,

Thanks for keeping us informed. And thanks for helping Bev during this time.
                              I would say "my pleasure", but it's not...it's just the right thing to do.

Appreciate it.

Colleen
                              [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
                              [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
                              [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

Like many others here, I knew Charles mainly from reading his posts and our emails but we did a few events together, Paynes Farm and Wilderness, and I enjoyed many a conversation with him. I don't think I've ever met someone with more enthusiasm for the hobby.

Goodbye Chawls...The hobby will probably never see the likes of someone like you again...and probably to a man, we are all the better for having known you.

Rest in peace my friend.

Ranger
                                27th VA, Co. D
                                Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
                                X