X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sad News (Civilian thread)

Paul,
    Very cool. That puts the total to over $10,000. Not bad.
    -Joe Bordonaro
    Joe Bordonaro

Comment

First I must say to Bev, how truly saddened and sorry I am at your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Below are my memories of not only and influential living historian, but of a good man and dear friend.

The first time I met Charles was sitting on the ground behind a pick-up truck tire in the middle of a field. I cannot remember why I was there, and have no idea why Charles was there, but there we were sitting on the ground talking about constellations in the July sky of 2001.

The endless Burkittsville meetings where we would sit in the back and cause a ruckus. The many hours we spent riding around I his truck picking up odds and ends for the event, and finally sitting down after the basket auction under the trees at P.J. Gilliams to enjoy the spoils of all our hard work.

Our road trip to White Oak and Five Forks to map out the march route for the Sore Foot Boys event. The events we did at Pamplin Park, Savannah Georgia Immortal 600, and Perryville, KY- aka “Disaster in the Mud”. The Sore Foot Boys winter training encampment, those boys learned so much that weekend and ate so well! Bev and Charles running the apple cider press at Harper’s Ferry, and then him taking the apple cider home to make homemade apple jack with. He had the bottles all lined up down the hallway at home fermenting!

So many evenings and weekends we spent at the bunker with Charles and Bev that they became like family to us. I can recall the day that Charles and Chris decided to fix the run-in for the horses and I was going to mow the pasture. Once Charles got the tractor going for me, I started to mow, but every time I stood up to push in the clutch, the seat disconnected and the tractor shut off. Charles laughed so hard at me until he finally bungeed the seat down for me, I got the job done though.

We would water the gardens and weed the rows of plants, as he would rattle of the heirloom variety of this tomato and that melon that he’d planted there. I can remember walking the rows of trees in the peach orchard with Chris, staring at the great view of the sunset across his fields. He would have Chris and I help feed Major and would graciously allow me to ride him. Charles would lead us around the property, and every once and a while Major would stumble an fall, Charles would coax him back up and we would keep on walking along.
      I can still picture in my mind the office with His and Her’s computers sitting side by side while miscellaneous civil war paraphernalia lay strew about the room. The conversations and intense discussion we had in that tiny room are something I will cherish and remember forever.

Charles was truly a one of a kind guy, but in some ways he always reminded me of my father. In preserving history, educating him and others, and experiencing the history through events and research, Charles sought to become the best at his “craft”. His dedication to the hobby and eagerness to continue to obtain and learn new information to become a better historian were just part of his unique character. If you think about the pieces of information that he shared with many of you throughout the years, just realize that he probably had 3 times as much more information that he never shared with you.

I sincerely regret losing contact with Charles several years ago. I can only hope that he knew how honored I was to call him my friend.

Below are my husbands, Chris’ personal thoughts about Charles:

I wasn't sure how I felt when I heard, but Charles and I had some good times together. The weeks alone we spent together in South Mountain were some of the best times in my life. No better man to spoon with on a cold night, the laughter alone would keep you warm. He and Bev never refused to let me into their home, and always made sure my poor self was properly fed and happy. I regret not getting together with him many years ago when he offered to share some beers in what was his attempt to bury the hatchet. All that shit seems so dumb these days.

Christopher “Pieboy” Newton,
      Original Sore Foot Boy

Goodbye Charles,

Sarah E. Clemens-Newton

Comment

Even though I only knew Charles from here on the AC site, I was deeply shocked
        and saddened to learn of his passing. His knowledge, humor and pointed posts
        will be missed. To me Charles was an institution here, and will sorely be missed.
        My sincere condolences to his family, and thanks to all who've shared their "Chawls"
        stories with us.
        Jeff Prechtel

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
        -Cezanne

Comment

Charles will be sorely missed. I only met him twice but be was a wonderful guy, extremely knowledgeable, and always willing to share what he knew. My thoughts go out to his family.
          Steve Shepherd
          Veritas numquam perit

Comment

Many years ago when I first started reading forums, and read some of Charles posts, I was convinced he ate small children for breakfast, but as I studied every aspect of the material culture of the era, and researched till I went cross-eyed, it dawned on me one day that the things this man was saying needed to be said. And he did it so well, and so eloquently, he's left a great empty hole amongst authentics, a legacy no one will be able to fill.

As a writer of historic foods books, occasionally I find methods or "quirks", if you will, that almost defy explanation, no matter how much you research them, and cook them, and practice them ad nauseum. Whenever one of those circumstances arose Charles was who I posed my questions to. Usually it was something so obscure he had no real answer either. Sometimes we reasoned it out together, other times we just had to admit there was no hard and fast proof of how the thing was done. But no matter whether we solved the riddle or not, we learned something from the asking and discussing of it. I will sorely miss that.

I enjoyed him so much at Sparks of Secession, and we'd been brainstorming like mad for a role that was perfect for him in 2010. I had told him that there would be so much fun going on at his "house" I was going to have to get my work done so I could come hang out in his corner. I deeply regret he won't be there to see it through.

Before closing, I'd like to remember Julie Rogers who passed away a short time after Sparks of Secession. Julie will be missed too.

My condolences to the family.
            Vickie Rumble

Comment

Charles, was a different guy, he spoke his own language and pulled no punches-yet somehow through his negativity he pushed others to better levels. I know I took some invaluable lessons about organization form his incessant criticism. Love him or hate him(there was no in between with Charles) no one can say that he didnt leave his mark on the hobby. God Bless and rest in peace.
              -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
              "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
              "The Bully Boys"
              "The Hard Case Boys"
              "The Independant Mess"
              29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
              3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Charles was one of if not the best reenactor I have met in 25 years in the hobby. He was a walking resourse for everything CW and not just military. He knew about period food, farms, family and fun. He will be sorely missed and perhaps irreplacable ...... God take and keep you "Ol Paint" ............... "Nolan"

Comment

I haven't posted in here for months and do not have the kind of intensity for reenacting I used to have. But some occasions can't pass without comment.

I knew Charles since approximately 1993 or 1994, when he, Mike Murley and Dave Culberson -- together -- nudged me along the path from farb to whatever I am now. We hit a lot of events together in the Carolinas while I was living down there through 1998, not so many after that, but Charles and I still hit a lot of the same events because they were, after all, the right events. Charles did not present anyone with a consistently emotionally redeeming relationship, as others have referenced one way or another, but that doesn't really seem to have been the important thing. He was consistent in his quest for authenticity and the quest was for its own sake. That allowed him to seize the moment at every event and present a level of excellence most reenactors never achieve. Everything else is, ultimately, easily forgiven.

Charles was a complicated man, and yes, by God, he will be missed.
                  Bill Watson
                  Stroudsburg

Comment

I've been at sea since around the middle of May and just logged on while in port. I must say that I was completely floored by the news.

The first time I met Charles was at Dusty's Kernstown event a couple of years ago and I am not ashamed to say that I was a bit intimidated because of his online persona. I was completely disarmed though as he put me to work assisting with the final preps for the event.

Through Charles, I was introduced to several fine folks who accepted me into their mess. Charles gave me (like he gave just about everyone else) my handle. The criteria for acceptance seemed to be nothing more than a desire to do things "right" and a healthy sense of humor.

I passed on an invite to tour the battlefields of the overland campaign in May since I was about to deploy and my little ones needed every minute of their daddy that they could get. I regret not going now in hindsight.

You all know that Charles is a good man, with a passion for history.

Be good to your pards...cause you never know.

So long Chawls. I will miss you.

Best to you and yours Bev, we feel some of your loss.

God Bless!!
                    Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

i didnt know him but my best to his family and friends

shane
                      Captain Shane Pinson
                      President of The NSLHG
                      Chief of Staff/Southern Federal Battalion
                      Captain/WolfPack Mess
                      5th Great-Grandson Of Lt.Gen.Winfield Scott

Comment

"Charles helped me greatly when I was a younger lad first starting to try to make authentic gear. He was always ready to help and offer advice at the drop of a hat. I wish I would have gotten to pick his brain more. My sympathies."

I also wanted to add how I regret a time when he asked me for some details about an original confederate jacket I had documented. I drew it all up for him and never sent it. Funny how a little thing like that can affect a guy, but now, my stomach turns in regret from it. Not sure why I wanted to share that- maybe if someone is in a similar situation, do what you said you'd do.

I am very sorry Charles, I'll bring it with me when we meet again.
                        V/R
                        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I first met Charles Heath on the old AOL civil war chat room, in early 1997. Back then he was with the Rowdy Pards, and I thought I was moving from California to North Carolina, so I got in touch with him in the chat room to talk about joining.

It is hard to believe that was more than 12 years ago. It is also hard to believe Charles Heath is gone. When I finished high school and went off to college, I kept in touch with Charles and spoke to him from time to time on AIM/Instant Messenger. I always appreciated his sense of humor and the fact that he was one of the few people who had any faith in the progressive movement in California in the late 90's. He always tried to get us Californians in the late 90's to tag along with his group at national events, and he always supported us on the west coast when being a progressive reenactor on the west coast was still very much in its infancy.

I left reenacting for a few years and last week was the first time I've looked at this website in at least 4-5 years. The first thing I saw was Charles' face on the front page, and I still can't believe my old pard from 12 years ago is gone. Rest in peace my friend.
                          Tom Baker

Comment

I agree. I've been doing less WBTS era event stuff lately, and have all but dropped out of "mainstream" events entirely. Charles was always a breath of fresh air. Looks like the "Rowdy Pards" have folded their shebangs and faded away. Too bad - they were a fun bunch. Charles was a young guy, too!

Sad.

Jay Callaham (NC)
                            Bugler - at large

Comment

The "Pards" survive -- ask Bill Cross and Bill Rodman.
                              Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

This is an incredible shock, and I am extremely saddened to hear of his passing. Charles was one of the most influential people that pointed me towards campaigning in 1993 as well as how to cook a good meal in camp. His wisdom and devotion will never be forgotten. RIP my friend. I'll never cook another meal in the field without first thanking you.
                                [B][SIZE="3"]N.E. Miller[/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B][CENTER][I]"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts"
                                -Marcus Tullius Cicero[/I][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                X