A Dedication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dedication

I write this update with a heavy heart as I reflect on the loss—and more importantly, life—of Matt Woodburn. For those who knew him, you know what I mean when I say his sudden passing is felt across the living history community. He was a good man, better friend, and is perhaps responsible for creating the approach to campaigning within the Civil War hobby that we all have come to see as commonplace.

Having been involved in reenacting in varying degrees since 1988, there are few events I ever regret not attending; another one will come along and, “Dude, you missed it!” becomes a bragging call for each one you made and a pard did not. Shiloh 150th is the one that got away for me, and if you liked that event, you can thank Matt Woodburn. I wasn’t able to make that for a myriad of reasons (not excuses, I assure you) and Matt showed us what creative planning, applied logistics, and seeing a vision through to fruition could deliver. It set the stage for the rest of the 150th events, and beyond. That is a legacy.

Matt Woodburn will not be replaced. No one can be, of course, but with him it is a loss that I feel should be left sacrosanct. Nothing need be done to fill the void except to look at all of things he provided, the lives he touched, and the improvements that he provided to the hobby, often times out of his own pocket. Matt threw his whole heart into event organizing because he wanted people to be excited about attending the event, happy while they were at it, and glad for the experience he delivered. On the drive home people asked about the next one, and there was no wondering if you had a good time. It was a given.

The legacy he created, and leaves behind, is one for all of us to emulate. Rosecrans’s Pursuit will be dedicated to Matt’s memory.
    Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 12-27-2020, 06:11 AM. Reason: Unintended interpretation of my initial commentary led to introspection.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

I personally never got to meet Matt and I feel unfortunate about that but seeing all the wonderful memories individuals in the community have about Matt the person and Matt the living historian, was very moving and touched my heart. In memory of Mr. Woodburn id like to pay for 2 people who are registered but not paid up as of yet. Preferably 1 US and 1 CS participant. Maybe some others would like to do the same. Just a thought...
    Last edited by Joshua28th; 12-27-2020, 05:14 PM.
    SEPTEMBER 16th-- "IT WAS SOMETHING DEMON-LIKE, A SCENE FROM AN INFERNO. THEY WERE SILENT AS GHOSTS, RUTHLESS AND RUSHING IN THEIR SPEED, RAGGED, EARTH-COLORED, DISHEVELED, AND DEVILISH. THE SHUFFLE OF THEIR BADLY SHOD FEET ON THE HARD SURFACE OF THE PIKE WAS SO RAPID AS TO BE CONTINUOUS, LIKE THE HISS OF A GREAT SERPENT. THE SPECTRAL, GHOSTLY PICTURE WILL NEVER BE ERASED FROM MY MEMORY." CAPTAIN EDWARD HASTINGS RIPLEY.

Joshua Corry

Comment

Working...
    X