Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaigner needing help

Fellow history lovers,

My girlfriend told me this weekend after watching one of my reenactments that she would like to tag along and do some with me, but me being a military man have no clue where to start. If someone could give me a list of what she needs and where I can get them that would be awesome! Thanks!
    Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
    Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Re: Campaigner needing help

First thing she needs: a mentor! :)

If she's going to "tag along" with you to an event, why don't you tell us what you'll next be attending? Even better, have her come on here and tell us something about herself and what she wants to do - that would be the most help.

Pam Kingsley-Bryda

Comment

She tried to register and it wouldn't let her for some reason
      Kindest regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
        My girlfriend told me this weekend after watching one of my reenactments that she would like to tag along and do some with me, but me being a military man have no clue where to start. If someone could give me a list of what she needs and where I can get them that would be awesome! Thanks!
        Civilian reenacting is so diversified, as Pam Kingsley-Bryda says, one almost needs to know what events, or types of events, she'll be attending.

If you're literally "a campaigner," you'd typically be portraying a soldier on the march, probably far from home with no female friends nearby, and she'd typically be portraying a civilian of the local area, so you two wouldn't see much of each other during the event, since you'd be with the army and she'd be with her local neighbors. You wouldn't be camping in the same area, so she'd need to be entirely self-sufficient with food, shelter etc., and would need to find other civilians to interact with--not generally a problem, since a civilian coordinator typically keeps in touch with everyone.

Campaign events generally have guidelines explaining what those portraying local civilians will be doing, and may be offering buildings for housing, may say the civilians will need to carry everything and be fleeing, or whatever is appropriate for the historic situation, so you can get a lot of information from the civilian coordinator. There's no problem with men and women doing those events together as couples, but unless soldiers just happen to be portraying men on campaign in their home area, a couple really only makes sense if the man portrays a local civilian too.

My gut feeling is that's not the kind of events you're attending, but if it is, let us know and folks can offer lots of suggestions for that.

What do you generally see civilian reenactors doing at your events? Do they camp with their significant others or alone? In wall tents with a lot of heavy cooking equipment, or with makeshift shelter and minimal gear? Do they portray organizations following the army (USSC, USCC, etc.), or local residents, or just generic girlfriends/wives of reenactors in period clothes?

To get started answering the question on a very generic, basic level, a woman typically wore:

shoes
        stockings
        garters
        several petticoats
        cage (if appropriate for the situation)
        drawers
        chemise
        corset
        dress (with collar, cuffs, undersleeves, belt, brooch or ribbon at neck, etc. depending how it's designed)
        bonnet (slat bonnet or fashion bonnet)
        shawl or coat depending on weather
        hairpins
        apron (depending on situation)
        gloves (depending on situation)
        And probably other obvious things I've forgotten

For housing/shelter and food, it depends on the historic situation. A refugee on foot would be similar to a soldier on campaign, blanket, oilcloth, lightweight pan, water container, sack for food and necessities, etc. Beyond that, depending on the historic situation, the event may supply items, civilians organized into "families" may share, there may be an attempt to furnish a shell of a building to look lived in...

There are classic civilian mainstream norms just like there are classic military mainstream norms, the wall-tent, hidden cooler, lots of furniture, etc. at every single event regardless of the historic situation, but that's not really the focus here.

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@voyager.net
        Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
          She tried to register and it wouldn't let her for some reason
          Seems like I recall they said there was a problem with new registrations recently and they needed to upgrade the software or something. She might want to try again, or if that doesn't work, contact one of the moderators and see if the problem's been fixed.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@voyager.net
          Hank Trent

Comment

A mere personal observation

A tag along girlfriend eh... Sounds like you are in a different hobby altogether. Why not just go down to the big tents next to the kettle-korn and elephant ear vendors and pick out a nice cheap colored skirt, white blouse and brightly colored thick knit polyester snood for here. Heck, you might even check if she has a prom dress that sorta looks old timey. I suppose you could dress up your camp follower in some Madonna inspired underwear but that could lead to animosity between her and other camp followers. Really, if she is just going to tag along with you to events why let history and authenticity disturb the fun.

On the other hand if she wants to play in the authentic, history heavy end of the pool for herself, she needs to realize that it takes an actual commitment to do it right. It isn't simply a matter of getting a list and going shopping. She'll actually need to do some research and study the culture of the era beyond watching a couple old timey movies or reading a historic romance novel. The investment in clothes and accessories she'll need will likely rival the expense of your own kit. She'll need to figure out things about the world her persona lives, her social status, living conditions, and reason for being at whatever events she attends. She'll need to get to know and work with other citizen reenactors who are determined to actually live in the period at quality events and learn from them the historic skills and talents that were needed for mere survival in the 1860's. In short if she wants to be an authentic reenactor she'll need to do more than tag along behind you and actually chart a totally unique course for herself as she pursues this hobby.

On the other hand, maybe it would be easier for you to find a reenacting unit that just goes to mainstream events where can sit about in camp preparing meals during the three scheduled battles while she waits for the fashion show and ball...
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

My unit goes to a few mainstream events a year and she'll probably attend those with me, we'll probably share a dog tent much to dismay of me, cause I haven't owned a tent in 3 years, but she will also be doing a refugee impression hopefully with Mrs. Lawson and that bunch at more authentic events.

I told her that I will not tolerate farbiness and if she's going to do it she's going to do it right. Mrs. Lawson told me that she would be her mentor and that she'll show her the way and I have total confidence that she will do a FANTASTIC job.

No, I'm not a farb, I was a farb once and I'll never ever go that route again. So, camping by the kettle corn man is out of the question, pard.
              Kindest regards,

Comment

Rocky,

About every other year, I get a similar request from at least one feller in your soldiers only organization. I'm thinking of putting the speech as a stop on the school program. :D

You can't quite do this with a shopping list. If it was as easy as whipping out the Master Card, the expression Hardcore for Christmas would not provoke so much of a giggle.

And, while we dressed Jake's lady from tip to toe out of the box last weekend, that was unusual--she was a size we happened to have on hand, and some of what was purchased will get a redo. Jake was also bright enough to hand her and his wallet over on a plate. Like you, just because he's marched miles through the south Alabama swamps in jean wool, he knows some campaign craft, but he doesn't know jack about the civilian side of the hobby. The real piece of learning you missed on that shopping excursion: In all the sulters present, there was not a dress on the rack that any of us would wear to a dogfight.

I've got three other gals in hand, and we'll be putting together a work weekend pretty soon to assembly line out the clothes needed to dress the southern farmwoman. What worn under that dress does not vary much from upper class to farming class, and she can dress up or down once the basics are covered. If she is industrious, most of this will get made, and if she makes it as part of a group she will learn far more than if she makes it alone. If she is really smart and handy, she'll sit down with Mrs. Morgan and make a corset too--if she is as impatient as I am, she'll buy one--but that will be the only place where big money goes out the door, as we are making shoes now.

In the meantime, your spring/summer project --remember those checked painted floorcloths hanging off my brush arbor last weekend? Make two.

No, she won't be sleeping in your dogtent. That's what the floorcloths are for.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Hank has given you a good base for the material needs your friend will need.
                  Although a bit "snarky"..the gentleman that didn't leave his name suggested/implied a mainstream event.

I would suggest a combination of both. Once she has all the BASIC clothing, and I would HIGHLY suggest trying to borrow her some appropriate clothing, find her a mentor, and let her take her to a main stream event. Let her stay in a small tent by herself, have minimal belongings, IE. tin wash bowl, chamber pot (not completely necessary) bedding, non-refrigerated food supply and a bucket for water. This would give her a very good practice session for civilians at their most extreme.
                  As Hank mentioned, with the authentic civilians there is a very wide gamut; everything from misplaced persons, carrying everything they need, to finery in a historical house.
                  If you attend with her at the mainstream event, pointing out the good, and she can live with minimal supplies at that event, she will do fine with authentic civilians. Everyone has to start somewhere. The most important thing is that she have the correct mind set for where she is and why she's in the hobby. It should be because she likes history and wants to relive it AND likes you as well :)

BTW....where are you located..? There are many ladies on this forum that would be happy to mentor her if she decides she wants to be active in the hobby.

Best Regards
                  Vivian Murphy

Comment

We are both from Central Alabama around Montgomery
                    Kindest regards,

Comment

I think Troy's signature file wasn't showing up... and his response was very tongue-in-cheek... but like Anna said, it's pretty to the point. :)

Let Mrs. Lawson have her and she's in some good hands. Review the thread titled "Adventures in Women's Underwear" in the Research Articles section.

She and you should expect to spend several hundred dollars getting the basics together (the more that is self-produced, the lower overall total, but it's not cheap), and that's without the reading component... what sparks her interest about women's roles in the mid-century? That's where she'll want to start reading.
                      Regards,
                      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Hey, Liz...who were you referring to named Anna? A friend pointed me out to this thread wondering if I had posted something in response, but I hadn't. Anyway, just wondering... :)

Also, I wanted to write a few lines regarding AZReenactor's post. Dontcha think that was a little rude? I mean, seriously, we all want to do this right but you don't have to assume that every new person getting into the hobby with their boyfriend is a farb. :p Gotta say I was a little surprised by the tone of your post. Sorry if I'm stepping into this thread and changing topics...I really don't mean to start a flame. But I do think we need to keep this whole thing into perspective. This is a hobby. We do it for fun. Yes, there are other reasons we all do this, but to the point, it's because we enjoy it for one reason or another.

I'm totally all for authenticity. I'm always striving for it. But why so discouraging to newbies? Maybe this girl really is fascinated by history and has every intention to do it the right way. But everyone starts out at different levels. I know my passion for the 19th century culture has definitely grown a lot through the years. But if you are told basically at the beginning that you are a farb and you really have no hope unless you have hundreds of dollars, then you're just going to discourage anyone from joining. And I really don't think that is our goal in the hobby. Just wanted to point that out. Thanks. :)
                        Anna Allen
                        <a href="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/">Star of the West Society</a>
                        [COLOR="DarkRed"][B]The Cherry Bounce Girls Mess[/B][/COLOR] :p

[I]It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.[/I]-Andrew Jackson

Comment

Perzactly Miss Anna.

And Troy, you know that I love you, and send you drinking chocolate and quail eggs, (even if Sargent Mustashe keeps them all for himself) ....but you have a few things to learn too.

I really don't know about other parts of the country, but down here in the Deep South, the way we get little children reenactors is by encouraging young campaigners to court and marry young ladies who have , or will develope, an interest in the hobby.

Little kids---now there's an underrepresented impression. They do however, tend to come with Mamas somewhere in the general vicinity. You don't get an 18 month old toddling baby boy in a dress at Banks Grand Retreat by telling his mama she is just a hanger on, or should be relegated to ladies tea and holding tank. You get that part of the civilian population represented by dealing with folks and their limitations when and where they are.

Young love is a fine thing. So are pretty girls. Our boy Rocky has been paying good attention to his education for awhile now, and has not been fiddling about on boards. He's been out of the field for a few years, but he's always been in a 'soldiers only' unit--one with a history stretching back more than 25 years. Those fellers have built a fine set of winter quarters under the live oaks, and done some 100 mile marches in their day---only about a half dozen units in the country can say that.

Like me when it comes to uniforms, every one of them is equally as clueless as Rocky is when it comes to women's clothing.

He has a little bit of breathing room before he jumps into law school. I'm gonna be really happy to help outfit his lady, and host her when she has time off school.

Maybe, in four or five years or so, I'll get to have another school program like I did two years ago. It consisted of three babies in dresses staked to a brush arbor. I sort of ran the spinning wheel. Their Mamas were cooking, but only for us, as we tend to let soldiers fend for themselves until they get all pitiful.

And, the harsh reality is, if soldiers wish to depict the period in an honest manner, they should be dealing with a civilian population that outnumbers them. It will take a large change in the hearts and minds of high quality reenactors to truely and accurately depict the whole population.

Or, we can leave the women and children to the cots and cooler crowd. Take your pick. But think carefully before you exclude based on a sterotype.
                          Terre Hood Biederman
                          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Hey Rocky,

You may remember me from the ball in Montgomery, I'm Luke's girlfriend. Anyways, My mother and I have plenty of outfits between the two of us and I'm sure one would fit your girlfriend.... I loan out dresses all the time. That way she could "try out" an event before having to buy everything and be commited to the hobby before she even knows if she likes it yet.

I hope this helps!
                            Jessa Hawthorne
                            Un-Reconstructed string band / Hardee's Guard Battalion Civilian Society

Comment

A mere personal observation

Now I admit I was a little snarfy here. I am certainly in no ways opposed to more citizen reenactors in the hobby. My intent was not to discourage this young lady from entering the hobby, but rather to help disabuse folks of the notion that a girlfriend , some money and a spoon-fed shopping list from an internet forum are adequate tools for exploring the rich mosaic that makes up 1860's civilian reenacting. From what I've seen, quality civilian impressions require an even greater commitment and personal investment (of much more than money) than what even the hardest core military reenactors I've seen put forth. Far too many military reenactors seem to think a pretty dress is all they need to bring their girlfriends and wives along into "their" hobby of reenacting.

The fact that Mrs. Lawson is taking charge of helping this young lady speaks volumes. The wisdom Rocky exhibits in seeking out her assistance may mean he isn't the mere neophyte crying out to be spoon fed information that his post implied and there may indeed be hope in this situation yet. I certainly hope so.
                              Last edited by AZReenactor; 04-23-2008, 12:22 PM.
                              Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                              1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                              Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Working...
                              X