Needed - Children's Clothing Sources or Patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needed - Children's Clothing Sources or Patterns

I am starting work on a set of clothes for my niece (age 3) and two nephews (ages 5 & 10) for a 1864 Christmas presentation this winter and am looking for patterns and authenticity insights into this new area for me. Anyone out there selling authentic patterns or even ready made clothing for children?

The 10 year old is becoming quite the little interpretor and is learning how to do his share of period chores and sing period songs. He has nearly outgrown his previous set of clothes and I am starting work on making him a new set by simply scaling down adult size patterns for shirts, etc.

Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated. I'll also be posting a want to buy list once I get all the sizes to see what I might find through that route from others who have had children outgrow the clothes they wore.
    Last edited by AZReenactor; 05-27-2008, 11:48 AM.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Re: Needed - Children's Clothing Sources or Patterns

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post
    I am starting work on a set of clothes for my niece (age 3) and two nephews (ages 5 & 10) for a 1864 Christmas presentation this winter and am looking for patterns and authenticity insights into this new area for me. Anyone out there selling authentic patterns or even ready made clothing for children?

The 10 year old is becoming quite the little interpretor and is learning how to do his share of period chores and sing period songs. He has nearly outgrown his previous set of clothes and I am starting work on making him a new set by simply scaling down adult size patterns for shirts, etc.

Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated. I'll also be posting a want to buy list once I get all the sizes to see what I might find through that route from others who have had children outgrow the clothes they wore.
    Elizabeth Clark's patterns for children are the best out there. They are available through her website at www.elizabethstewartclark.com
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Troy, if you visit the site, check out the Compendium--free articles on children's clothing in there, and some free pinafore patterns for the little bitty girl.

The boys' patterns won't be much help to you, though... they stop at about a 4T in boy's styles. At 5 and 10, they're fine in "mini man" citizen's clothing for the most part. What economic class do you need to portray?
      Regards,
      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Troy, having recently been approved as a vendor on the forum, I'm looking forward to making some children's clothing. My first project is a little girls dress. I'd be happy to talk to you...
        Regards
        Vivian Murphy

Star of the West Society
        Athens, Mo '08
        Marmeduke's Raid

Comment

Working...
        X