In search of period receipts for Snapping Turtle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Follow-up

I THINK a clean shell, left to dry naturally in some spot where the smell won't run you off the property or cause the neighbors to do same, will be suitable for most uses (even if it is cracked, you could use it for small projects.) I have a box turtle shell my husband brought down the hill for me. It's quite old and weathered and the colored outer plates have come off the gray ridged shell, but it would still serve as a soup bowl if I'd cared to use it for that.
    Becky Morgan

Comment

Re: In search of period receipts for Snapping Turtle

Paul, it takes Hawksbill and Green sea turtle shell to make fine tortoiseshell goods.
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The stuff made from local turtles (Ohio River and vicinity) is cloudy and tends to be slightly rubbery. Are the sea turtle shells naturally harder and more translucent, or is that processing?
        Becky Morgan

Comment

hhehehehehe......all I can think of to say is, between the butter, cayenne, anchovies and Maderia....how in the world could you tell what the turtle tasted like? it might as well be cedar shingles :)
          (toss it all, save the Maderia and drink it)
          Regards
          Vivian Murphy

Comment

Somehow Mrs. M, I think that was the point. :D
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

All kidding aside, like Mr. Abrams, I do recall as a child watching my uncle dress a large turtle, but don't recall seeing it cooked or eaten. I suspect it was fried. I remember him saying it was good and tasted a lot like chicken

Vivian Murphy

Comment

Working...
              X