Looking for feedback on ladies jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for feedback on ladies jackets

I have been looking at alternatives for the ladies shawl. I've decided that I am lacking sufficient grace to keep such garments on my shoulders where they belong and have been looking at period summer alternatives. Looking through Godey's illustrations and photos of period garments I have several ideas. I would like to hear from others on the subject.

I have attached a couple of photos of garments that I am considering in lieu of shawl. Typically, my events are pre-1863 so I am not concerned at my age about dipping into the fashion pages of the late 50s.
    Attached Files
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
    Emily Burns[/FONT]

Re: Looking for feedback on ladies jackets

I like the sheer netted canezou to the white cutwork capelet thing.

A netted wrap will be somewhat spendy to create, as cotton tulle is fairly spendy, but it would be a gorgeous project.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Those jackets are gorgeous, Emily!

There's always The Greek Casaque found on this site:

There are also some possibilities on this site:

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Trish,
        Thanks for the site with the Marquise casaque. That's lovely. And would probably work well with a sheer fabric.

I scrolled on down. I'm actually making the quilted cap right now. :-)

We're playing with some decorative hair items, too. The kids are all pretty well-clothed and for a while we get to sew for the ladies.

Best regards,
        Emily
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
        Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

I've used the Greek Casaque in sheer silks and cottons. It works well. The tassels help it hang nicely. It was in Godey's in October of 1859.

I've also used the 'quilted cap' pattern many times. We found it in Godey's where it was called "a hood for an ocean voyage." I can't remember which issue on that one. There are discussions and pictures on Elizabeth Stewart Clark's Sewing Academy at Home: http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=29.0

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Miss Emily,

Before my sister's passing, she re-enacted with me and she favored the Garibaldi style jacket from Godey's. I do not recall if she used the pattern from Heidi Marsh or Past Patterns. She preferred hats, year round to bonnets or hooded capes, so for her the jacket was her fall/early spring outer wear. (She never got a winter cape because I commandeered her tan wool for a civilian frock coat.) I have seen a number of reviews on the various patterns available commercially, but I feel that between the documentation of Godey's and museum archives/collections you can adapt one to make a proper representational garment.

Kevin Baker, aka mobluegraysoldier

Comment

The first and third links I like the best. Currently I'm working on a velvet jacket but plan to get myself busy with a black chantilly something. A something light and delicate to wear over a white sheer dress &c. :wink_smil I think that part of the reason that you don't see much of these things worn by LH women today is because it takes a great deal of effort and shopping to find the correct lace materials. Not so easy, nor inexpensive, but worth it when the affect is perfect!
              Mfr,
              Judith Peebles.
              No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
              [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

The white cutwork jacket is not only very pretty, but looks thoroughly practical. The others may be a bit more fussy and delicate, but you wouldn't go wrong with any of them, all lovely.
                Becky Morgan

Comment

[QUOTE=Drygoods;112780]http://cgi.ebay.com/Stunning-c1855-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like we've both been slobbering over e-bay listed originals.

Oh, my! That could come and live at my house and I wouldn't mind at all.

I think, maybe, I'm just ready for a new challenge. I want to add a functional/decorative item to my wardrobe that falls beyond the ordinary living history shawl or sacque.

Kind regards,
                  Emily Burns

[my apologies for the avatar mix up, forgot where I was]

Comment

Working...
                  X