No announcement yet.

Questions about jean (jeans?) cloth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about jean (jeans?) cloth...

Some questions for those who are much more learned than I...

First, is the correct term "jean cloth" or "jeans cloth"? I've seen both, but is one more correct than the other?

Would this cloth have been used for any civilian wear in the North, specifically trousers? I assume there was still some trade occurring across the Mason-Dixon Line, at least in the early part of the war.

Was this cloth strictly of domestic manufacture?

I did perform a search of "jean cloth", but about 99% of the hits were "WTB" or "WTS". I did find one thread form May 2007, but it didn't address my specific questions.

Thank you.
    Mark Ehrsam
    Susquehanna Travellers
    York, Pa.

Re: Questions about jean (jeans?) cloth...

Originally posted by mehrsam View Post
    Some questions for those who are much more learned than I...

First, is the correct term "jean cloth" or "jeans cloth"? I've seen both, but is one more correct than the other?

Would this cloth have been used for any civilian wear in the North, specifically trousers? I assume there was still some trade occurring across the Mason-Dixon Line, at least in the early part of the war.

Was this cloth strictly of domestic manufacture?

I did perform a search of "jean cloth", but about 99% of the hits were "WTB" or "WTS". I did find one thread form May 2007, but it didn't address my specific questions.

Thank you.
    I checked in my book and CD-Rom Historic Accounts for both jeans and jean. In the Halifax County, VA ledger (1859-1861) there were 442 entries for jeans and 6 entries for jean. In the Independence, IN ledger (1852-1854) there were 27entries for wholesale purchases for jeans. The word "cloth" was not added in either case. In some instances, Rhode Island or Kentucky jeans were purchased, as well as other types of jeans and several colors. Both of these stores were civilian stores.

Jeans could be home-made but was also a commercially made textile. In the 1872 book, Scissors and Yardstick by C. M. Brown and C. L. Gates, Kentucky Jean was defined as "A coarse, heavy cotton and wool fabric, twilled upon both sides. The face is covered with a coarse nap. It is not very expensive, but durable. Single fold. Width, about 3-4."
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Thank you, Virginia.

So...would it be appropriate, accurate and/or correct for a civilian from south central Pennsylvania to be wearing jean trousers? I'm having a time trying to find linen or cotton trousers for civilian wear (that fit into my budget); jean trousers seem to be more available and affordable.
      Mark Ehrsam
      Susquehanna Travellers
      York, Pa.

Comment

Probably depends on your occupational class. Folks doing rough, dirty work might choose jean/s trousers or overalls, or cotton canvas. Folks leaning toward gentility or professional trades would have afforded wool (in an apropriate weight for the season) or linen.

ps. Did you check the aproved vendors? I know it's obvious, but I sometimes miss the obvious, and hope I'm not the only one.:)

Hopefully Helpful,
        Elaine
        -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Working...
        X