appropriate dress style for a 13 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• appropriate dress style for a 13 year old

Please forgive the possible obviousness of this question but I have spent so much time on my own things that I have seriously neglected my 13 year old. While at present, she does not attend many events aside from mainstream, but as I am such a stickler for authenticity I would like to begin to introduce her into some more of an authentic arena, as such, I for the life of me can not remember the proper time/age for a girl to move to a more adult style of dress. I have some lovely blue plaid but have hesitated in cutting it into the same boat neck that she has worn for years as she has now moved into her first stays. CDVs are so hard to judge age with. I know I read the rule of thumb for this somewhere but am hard pressed to lay my hands on it now. Any suggestions? Our portrayal is poorer southern civs.
    Thanks,
    Melody Phillips

Re: appropriate dress style for a 13 year old

Welcome, Melody!

At 13, she's too young by about 5 years for adult styles, even if she is moving into stays. (A girl her age would be moving from childhood stays into late childhood stays--as she's still in late childhood--and then into figure-supporting stays as she matures.) So, preserve her girlhood; keep her in shorter skirts (mid-calf to lower calf), let her have short sleeves in the daytime if she likes and weather permits, and button or hook her dresses in the back for a few more years.

She's not limited to open necklines, though--high necklines are bog common all through childhood, so you could choose *any* of the high, half-high, or open necklines, paired with full or fitted bodices, yoked bodices, gathered or pleated bodices, and any variety of short or long sleeve that jives with the chosen textile. Her options are wide, wide open.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Melody,

Welcome! Liz is too modest to tell you herself, but she has an outstanding website with excellent articles, books that are worth their weight in gold, and a forum where you can find worlds of wisdom. Treat yourself to some hours exploring there. Start with the Patterns and Publications, The Academy at Home, and Great Auntie Maude's Compendium. http://www.elizabethstewartclark.com/main.htm

Enjoy!

Comment

I agree that Miz Liz is very, Very learned, and spot on. There are frequently discussions on the Sewing Academy @ Home forums about apropriate dress for young ladies. The young ladies we have on the forum often recomend "Practical Pinkery" for it's good advice, pattern directions, and the like. It's available on the Sewing Academy website.

One reason to keep youthful styles as long as you can is to give a clear indication to other re-enactors that she is still a youth, and should be protected as such, and parents consulted.

Hopefully Helpful-
        -Elaine
        Last edited by Elaine Kessinger; 07-15-2008, 11:25 AM. Reason: lack of a signature
        -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Thank you ladies, so much, I have heard of Practical Prinkery and will check it out.
          Melody Phillips

Comment

Working...
          X