Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glass fruit jars

List,
    I'm hoping someone can help give me some guidance. I'm aware that period fruit jars, now known as canning jars, were much different than today's Ball's and Kerr's style jars. Many had sprung bails, zinc lids sealed with wax, etc... How as authentically minded living historians, do we solve this without making too many compromises. There's written evidence of the 103rd OVI receiving preserves, canned fruit, and even cakes in the mail. (I would be happy to provide the title but I'm currently deployed overseas so therefore lack access to my library). If there is a reasonable facsimile or other solution, this would not only provide a welcomed addition to a soldier's diet but also give another glimpse of soldiering through a mail call at events.
    Respectfully,
    John Van Sickle

This may help some...

Here is the canning section from the 1865 Illustrated Catalogue of American Hardware of the Russell and Erwin Manufacturing Company.

FRUIT JAR patent
    IMPROVED FRUIT-JAR patent
    Design for a bottle
    IMPROVED COVER FOR FRUIT-JARS patent
    Last edited by AZReenactor; 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM. Reason: Added patent links.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Re: glass fruit jars

There were several different styles of jars used to store fruit and preserves. I would suggest that you look at the collections of the Arabia and Bertrand (when you can). There are some glass jars that are available commercially today that look very close to the type of storage jars that were used back then. Also, find a cook period cook book and look for recipes for making preserves or jellies and it will usually tell you how to store it. Small crocks are also a good choice when they are covered with waxed or brandy soaked paper.
      Chris Utley
      South Union Mills
      [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
      [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Virginia Mescher has an excellent article that you should read on food preservation

Brian Baird

Comment

The latest issue of the Midwest Open Air Museums Magazine has an article of interest in it: "The Evolving Ways of Preserving Fruits and Vegetables 1850-1900" by Susan Odom.
          Yes, there was life before mason jars. People regularly preserved fruits and vegetables bu pickling in vinegar, preserving with sugar, or brining in salt and drying.

Comment

Mason patented his famous screw top fruit jars on November 30th 1858. The same basic style was used for many years. I just visited several antique stores in Fredericksburg, VA. These jars are still readily available, many with their zinc screw top lid. I picked one up a few weeks ago that is embossed "MASON'S PATENT NOV 30TH 1858" with a nice screw top lid for $12.00. I just saw some today for a lot less. I don't actually can with them, but before an event I will fill them with canned peaches and or other period fruit and serve them in camp. I use 2 layers of wax paper between the lid and jar to seal them. So the good news is that original period jars are not hard to find and pretty inexpensive.

Steve Blancard
            Co. A 13 VA Inf.
            Steve Blancard
            Corporal
            13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

A good article I found on dating various fruit jars is "A Primer on Fruit Jars" by Dave Hinson. References for the article include:

Creswick, Alice: The Fruit Jar Works, Volumes I & II. Published by Douglas M. Leybourne, Jr. N. Muskegon, Mich., 1995.

Leybourne, Doug: The Red Book of Fruit Jars No. 7. Published by Douglas M. Leybourne, Jr. N. Muskegon, Mich., 1993.

Roller, Dick: The Standard Fruit Jar Reference. Acorn Press, Paris, Ill., 1984.

The Fruit Jar Newsletter. Page 617, April 1992.

The Midwest Glass Chatter. Midwest Antique Fruit Jar and Bottle Club. November 1994 & January 1995. Junne Barnett, editor.

Comment

To mirror another post, I have purchased period jars for low cost, between 3 and 12 dollars. When going to the field I place the product into the jar(s). I have purchased three different sizes and all have a PAT. of 1853 embossed on them although they are different makers in some cases. My wife also uses these jars in her civilian impression. These jars can be found in most antique shops. When buying them however, check the inside of the lid to assure there is a liner. Also make sure the lid is in decent shape. Jars are actually fairly cheap without the lid since the lids were lost and or destroyed over time in many cases. Good luck.
                Rob Walker
                Co. H
                119th NYSV
                Old Bethpage Village Restoration

Old Bethpage Village Restoration and Castle Williams on Governors Island safe for now. Thank you to everyone for your help!!

"There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness"

Comment

One thing to keep in mind about the "period" mason jars that people are refering too is that the jars with the embossed 1858 patent were manufactured all the way up into the 1920s, that patent date may make them "old timey" but not necessarily period.

I'm still doing more research but initial information indicates that the mason jars were quite expensive and fairly new in our era and served a very limited market. I suggest before making the assumption that any 1858 patent mason jar is vetted as period that more research needs to be done. Like the details around muskets, uniforms, and accouterments for period glass work, the devil is in the details and doing things right requires real study and research.

A few sources of interest:
                  Mason's 1858 Patent (no. 22,186)
                  The Mason Jar Story.
                  Examination of Glass and Pottery Bottles Recovered from the Union Army’s Fifth Corps’ Winter Camps at Stoneman’s Switch, Virginia.
                  More Potomic Pontil newsletters
                  Bottle Typing/Diagnostic Shapes
                  Historic Glass Bottle Identification & Information Website
                  Fruit Jars of the Past and Present
                  More info on dating mason jars.

Far be it from me to tell folks what to do but the information is out there for those who want to get this detail right.

Considering the rarity, expense, and fragility of period jars, does anyone know of a tinsmith making the self sealing tin cans that were popular for home use before and during the war?
                  Last edited by AZReenactor; 07-22-2008, 08:48 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Comment

One thing to keep in mind about the "period" mason jars that people are refering too is that the jars with the embossed 1858 patent were manufactured all the way up into the 1920s, that patent date may make them "old timey" but not necessarily period.
                    Troy is correct on this. The dates on jars can be deceiving as they typically denote a patent date.

You can obtain a nice wax sealer jar for a relatively small amount of money on Ebay. Many of them come with a correct reproduction lid. Another good site with several people who know bottles and jars is http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/.
                    [B][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jason Albregts[/COLOR][/FONT]
                    [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]The Barleycorn Boys (Retired)[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
                    [FONT="Georgia"][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Civil War Preservation Trust Member[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

There was a fruit jar found in one of the rifle pits at Pamplin Park in the 1970s. It had a glass top and was held in place by a metal attachment device with a thumb screw in the middle which pressed down on the glass lid. I believe the color was green. I have also found these iron attachment devices in CW camps.

The zinc tops are found occasionally in CW sites and old house sites. They may be post war. I dug one still on the jar once and the jar was clear glass and not CW period.

I think the top on the jar found at Pamplin is period but have no concrete proof other than where it was found and similar recoveries from known CW sites.
                      Jim Mayo
                      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I assume you mean a closure like this?

I actually have one of these Millville jars at home (without the closure). You can pick up a good repop closure for these jars. The patent dates to 1861 I believe and these kind of jars became popular during the War.
                        [B][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jason Albregts[/COLOR][/FONT]
                        [FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]The Barleycorn Boys (Retired)[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
                        [FONT="Georgia"][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Civil War Preservation Trust Member[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post

I'm still doing more research but initial information indicates that the mason jars were quite expensive and fairly new in our era and served a very limited market. I suggest before making the assumption that any 1858 patent mason jar is vetted as period that more research needs to be done. Like the details around muskets, uniforms, and accouterments for period glass work, the devil is in the details and doing things right requires real study and research.

Far be it from me to tell folks what to do but the information is out there for those who want to get this detail right.

Considering the rarity, expense, and fragility of period jars, does anyone know of a tinsmith making the self sealing tin cans that were popular for home use before and during the war?
                          The article on food preservation in the archived section of Virginia's Veranda on our webpage shows the correct shape of the different sizes of canning jars used in our period. Although the article is mainly about food preservation, it does have a section on cans, the various types of fruit jars, closures, and how to choose ones in antique stores. There are many that carry the 1858 patent date that are incorrect for our period.

I'm away from my files so I can't give the prices that fruit jars sold for in the CW period but when I have access to my files next week, I'll try to post them as soon as I can. They did cost more than metal cans but considering they were reusable, lighter than the stoneware crocks and the closures were more reliable the jars were a good buy. Remember they started being sold in 1858 so it took awhile for them to appear in ads and ledgers and in some cases, the war interrupted production so the information is not as great as I would like. They were being used since there is enough evidence in period publications with instructions on how to use them.

It is unlikely that one will find a jar actually made by Mason's company since they are worth in the thousands of dollars. (Mason only made the lids and contracted the glassmaking to a glass company.) There are similar shapes in antique stores that are suitable for our use today. Some have the 1858 patent date on them and others are just plain with no embossing. Avoid jars with embossed company logos unless you can date the company.
                          Virginia Mescher
                          vmescher@vt.edu
                          http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Originally posted by Corporal Jay View Post
                            I assume you mean a closure like this?

I actually have one of these Millville jars at home (without the closure). You can pick up a good repop closure for these jars. The patent dates to 1861 I believe and these kind of jars became popular during the War.
                            That's It!!
                            Jim Mayo
                            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I "googled" Millville and it seems the bulk glass jar industry is alive and well.

Here's a link to one of the (alleged?) antique versions for sale.

Thanks for the ideas for transporting peaches, &tc.
                              Paul Hadley
                              Paul Hadley

Comment

Working...
                              X