Overshirt under Sack Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overshirt under Sack Coat

I have been told that wearing an overshirt in lieu of a vest under a coat was accepted dress, but I cant seem to find anything to support this. Wondering what others have come across in thier research. Thanks.

Jason
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
    Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Re: Overshirt under Sack Coat

Hi,

I also would be interested in learning about this. Thanks
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hallo!

I don't have a clear picture of what it is you are asking?

In what context and circumstance?
      For example, the military wearing a blouse or jacket over a shirt or over a shirt AND an "undershirt?" (Meaning, the vest is not, NUG, a military issue item).

Or...

For example, civilian lower class and working class not having, or not wearing a vest under their sack coat or dress coat as a time, function, and circumstance-specific fashion "requirement?" Or the prevalence of the "three piece suit" as socially or professionally "required" by custom or fashion for the middle and upper class person?
      Etc., etc.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi,

What I was asking about was, a Militia/civilian man wearing a work shirt/over shirt, over his normal shirt, with a civilian sack coat over all of that. I was mainly thinking in cold weather.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hallo!

Aha...

IMHO, NUG, the purpose of an "overshirt" whether artists or cheesemaker's smock, waggoner's frock, hunting shirt, stable frock, etc., was to product one's "regular" clothes (or uniform) from dirt and wear.

So, "over shirts" went "over" everything else, rather than wearing undershirt, shirt, overshirt, vest.

(Some transferrance from 18th century reenacting has migrarted to the Civil War, as some 18th century lads are arguing/fighting about wearing a weskit OVER a hunting shirt or hunting frock (an argument divided up between "Easterners" and "Frontier Trash"] ;) :) )

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt,

I was more talking along the lines of a lower-middle class civilian. Mainly I am wondering about tradesmen, say a mechanic or carpenter, in daily work wear (to and from work). Thanks.

Jason
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
            Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
            Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

Firemen would wear topcoats over their woolen overshirts -- all of it part of the occupational costume, dependent upon the weather and their proximity to the flames. Working the brakes of an engine in temperate weather, probably not. Taking the "nob," or running in winter, probably yes.
              Attached Files
              Marc A. Hermann
              Liberty Rifles.
              MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
              Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

From my understanding Overshirts were worn durin work to keep your undershirt clean. So if you had a vest that you kept clean and out of work you would most likely wear that out to town or over to a neighbors party or and formal occasion. I relive a teenager in the Kansas plains in the time starting in 1864, I've talked to the site suppervisor and he said and overshirt was for work, plus I'm pretty sure I've read/seen stuff statin about this but can't recall, I'll try to look back in me brain and remember. All and all though I think it deoends on where you would be goin to wear an overshirt uinder your coat......
                Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
                The Tater Mess

Comment

In answer to the original question: Yes, this was certainly done. On more than one occasion I have encountered images showing soldiers wearing two shirts underneath uniforms. Often it appears that the shirt closest to the body is a lighter-colored shirt and the one worn over it may be colored or patterned. Many times a tie is worn on the collar of the "under" shirt and the collar of the "over" shirt is either worn open or folded to the inside thus making it resemble and function as a vest. In fact such images can be easily mistaken for a soldier wearing a vest if viewed quickly. Whether these are true overshirts like farmer's frocks, or merely heavier workshirts is open to interpretation.

Here's an image we ran in the #8 volume of the CompanyWag. The sgt in the cut off frock coat appears to be wearing two shirts.

Paul McKee
                  Attached Files
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Scroll down and have a look at these five Arkansas soldier in little Rock 1863 : the guy who’s stand at left wear probably a battle shirt instead of a vest under his shell jacket !

Your go-to source for health & wellness information. Find insights on breastfeeding, creative therapy, preschools, mental health & more.
                    [I]Gettysburg 1993
                    Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Keep in mind the Civil war was not a fashion show, but a desperate struggle of life and death. When you are cold you are cold........And you would do whatever was in your means to stay warm.

Your question has a pretty easy answer..... Common Sense.

Mr. Atlan and McKee... Great images with historical documentation that this was in fact done.
                      Last edited by Hardtack Herring; 08-05-2008, 11:12 AM.
                      Paul Herring

Liberty Hall Fifes and Drums
                      Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Working...
                      X