Pop Corn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Corn

I am currently doing some research on methods for popping corn and came across some interesting finds. First, for all of you kettle corn fans, I did find a mention of corn being popped in a iron kettle, which I assume was also used for boiling sweet corn.

Friends and neighbours; or, Two ways of living in the world. Ed. by T. S. Arthur, Philadelphia,: H. C. Peck & T. Bliss, 1858.

Second, I found this interesting recipe for fixing pop corn, or actually what sounds like pop corn candy. Sounds worth trying:

Pop Corn
    Put some nice fresh lard into a pan; when boiling drop in the corn and cover tightly, to prevent it from popping out of the pan; when done popping, remove the corn from the pan and put them in a collander to drain; have ready some nice steam syrup, heat it and flavor with either seville orange juice or lemon juice; when simmering drop in the corn; let it simmer for ten minutes; take it out in large lumps and lay in buttered dishes to cool.

Mrs. Goodfellow's Cookery as it should be.: A new manual of the dining room and kitchen ...
    Goodfellow, Mrs.
    Philadelphia: T. B. Peterson & brothers, [1865]
    [FONT=Trebuchet MS]Rick Musselman[/FONT]
    Director of Education, Carriage Hill Farm, Dayton, Ohio
    President, Midwest Open-Air Museums Coordinating Council (MOMCC)
    Palestine #158, F. & A.M.

Re: Pop Corn

You might want to check out Andrew Smith's book, Popped Culture: A Social History of Popcorn in America. It is a very interesting book and has many historical recipes for all sorts of ways to use popcorn but the focus of the book is the history of popcorn.
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Working...
    X