"A Gathering Before the Storm” October 1-3, 2010

Date: October 1-3, 2010
    Name: A Gathering Before the Storm
    Location: Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site, Elverson, PA
    Sponsor/Host: Terri Lehmer and Jessica Craig
    Capacity: 40 civilians

POC: Jessica Craig snowcraig@ymail.com or
    Terri Lehmer terrilehmer@yahoo.com;
    Listserve: Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agatheringbeforethestorm/

Join us in recreating a few days in the life of an early industrial village at Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site.

Hopewell Furnace is located in Southeastern Pennsylvania and is a remarkably intact example of a 19th century iron furnace village. The furnace, which still exists today, was in operation from 1771 to 1883 and produced a wide range of finished goods and raw materials. The village includes the ironmaster’s house, the furnace complex, several dwelling houses, a boarding house, a blacksmith shop, a spring house, barns, and outbuildings. The setting is rural with little modern distractions and naturally beautiful.

This civilian-only event will portray everyday life in Hopewell Village in 1860. There will be both sustained first person and third person areas with room for impressions ranging from the poorest indentured servant to wealthy visitors from Philadelphia. For many years Hopewell Furnace National Park Historic Site has mainly interpreted the making of iron. This will be an opportunity to interpret the lives of people who not only made the iron possible, but of the villagers who made Hopewell village self-sufficient.

Attendance is by invitation only.
    Jessica Craig
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society (AGSAS)

Re: A Gathering Before the Storm

Last year was my first time at this event and WOW!!!! It's been added to my list of "don't miss" events. Authentic civilians really need to check out this event... you won't be disappointed. :D
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

For those that have never visited this park, it should definitely go on your list of places to see. The park is set in a beautiful little piece of the world, with virtually no modern distractions beyond the stray car that passes by. The iron furnace is still very much intact and operable, although they use tin in the demonstrations for ease of handling and safety.

The event and the site have TONS of potential, and there are some great scenario ideas in the works so far!

Take care,
      Tom Craig
      Tom Craig

Comment

This sounds interesting, there isn't much going:cry_smile for civilians this year.
        [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
        Charlene Staples
        Delavan, WI

Citizens of The Old NorthWest
        Boonesfield Village
        Lost Tribes
        Bummers

Comment

Ahh it's happening on my Birthday! but my husband and I will be stationed in Florida by then...arg! I LOVE doing events with Terri! She's so much fun!

I know you'll have a blast!
          Krystin Contant Piston

Comment

Friends,
            A great event!
            - Joe Bordonaro
            Joe Bordonaro

Comment

The website for the event has created. Be sure to bookmark the site - there will be much more to come!

Check out the photos from previous events!

Hope to see you there,

Jessica Craig
              Jessica Craig

Comment

Registration for A Gathering Before the Storm is now open!!

October 1-3, 2010, Elverson, PA

The website has been updated and includes more information on impressions, logistics, standards, and registration. This event is limited to 40 participants, so if you are interested, please register early! The registration deadline is September 1st, but I'm sure we will be full before then.

The event website is: http://hopewell.mainecav.org/

Come join us for one of the best civilian events of 2010!

Jessica Craig
                snowcraig@ymail.com
                Jessica Craig

Comment

Hello! I am moving back East with the military and am excited to be getting back reenacting! I am hoping to attend this event, but due to military obligations and dates being up in the air I do not want to ask to register and take up a spot until I am sure I can. I saw Noah was on the list, he was my brother at McDowell in 2004, would be great to see him again. I am doing Boonesfield in May and possibly Sept, though different scenarios, it would be nice to be in another town. Looks to be a great event and hope I can be a part of it!!

Nicolette Sebastian
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]Cheers,

Nicolette A. Sebastian[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

That would be McDowell May, 2005.

Welcome back east. It's a funky place, but I love it.

Comment

Only two months until the registration deadline! We have approx. 25 people already registered for A Gathering Before the Storm, so if you are planning to come, please send in your registration form as soon as possible. This will help us with logistical planning such as lodging and specific scenarios. We have the opportunity to include all types of impressions at this event - furnace workers and their families, professional impressions (teachers, bankers, salemen, politicians), iron master family members (upper middle class), musicians, farmers, and much more. Our goal is to bring Hopewell Village alive for the weekend!

We are working with the Park to firm up the political rally part of this event. This will be a unique opportunity to mark the 150th anniversary of the 1860 election and is something that is not often seen at living histories. Plans are in the works for an election pole raising and other festivities. We are also working with the Park to identify projects/chores that need to be done to keep all the village workers busy.

If you have already registered please be thinking about developing your first person character. The event is just three months away!!!

If you have any questions about the event, please feel free to contact me, Jessica Craig, at snowcraig@ymail.com

This is going to be one of the best civilian events in the Northeast, so don't miss out!

Jessica Craig
                      Jessica Craig

Comment

I hope I can come to this! It looks fantastic, and all civilian! Now I just have to get to work on working out why my impression would be in Hopewell....
                        Victoria Rose Simons
                        [email]visim001@mail.goucher.edu[/email]

Comment

Mrs. Simons (or is it Miss ?)- Finding a reason for you to be at Hopewell Furnace is as easy as your menfolk (who are convieniently working elsewhere at all times- wink, nudge) are workers at the Hopewell Furnace Complex. Then pal up with the ladies and enjoy the election festivities.
                          -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Registration is still open for A Gathering Before the Storm at Hopewell Furnace in October, but spots are filling up fast! We have over 30 people registered at this point.

Onsite housing is available but limited. We have lots of room for daytrippers and those who want to/can stay off site.

If you have a specialty impressions (i.e. photographer, musician, politician), we'd love to have you help bring Hopewell Village to life. Saturday afternoon will include a political rally and pole raising in support of Breckenridge & Lane. We'll have speeches and songs and a big community meal.

Everyone will be kept busy with work around the village and the furnace. There is something for almost any civilian impression at this event.

If you are interested in an invitation to the event, please contact me at snowcraig@ymail.com and for event information go to http://hopewell.mainecav.org/

Hope to see you at Hopewell!
                            Jessica Craig

Comment

This is just a reminder that the registration deadline is fast approaching...September 1st is a week from Wednesday!

If you are planning to attend the event but are delaying getting your registration in for some reason (unsure of plans, registration fees, etc.), please let me know off-list (snowcraig@ymail.com). We need to start planning for sleeping space, food, and wood/straw. Even if you are just planning to day trip, please register or at least let me know - especially if you are planning on partaking of any meals with the group.

As of last count we had about 30 adults and 6 children registered! I want to try to accomodate as many as possible, so please contact me and/or mail in your registration forms.

Hope to see you at Hopewell!
                              Jessica Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X