Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Cap design

Greetings

Anyone have any pattern for a wheel cap/mechanics hat?

I plan on "tarring" this black

Thanks
    Shawn Stern
    Wheeling Fencibles

Re: Wheel Cap design

The Workwoman's Guide (1840) has a pattern for what we call a man's "wheel cap," though I've never read descriptions of them described as such during the period, they're generally referred to as just "caps."

Also, these caps more often have just painted cloth covers (the body of the cap being made from wool), rather than being constructed entirely from painted cloth. The logic makes sense, in foul weather you wear the cover, in hot humid weather you take it off so you don't swelter.

The 1860s versions of these caps are different than those seen in 1840s or 1850s Daguerreotypes. They are less mushroomy, have smaller welts and visors. I suggest doing a survey of original photographs from the 1840s-1860s to gain a better understanding of how these caps evolved through the years.
    Last edited by Ian McWherter; 02-11-2010, 05:12 PM.
    Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Good advice

We are going to use them for a militia impression we are putting together
      for, when all put together the 1860-61 events

Comment

the work womans book is what I used to make a cap for my boy. Since he didn't care for slouch hats.
        Cpl. Joseph Lambert
        7th TN Co.D

Comment

Young Campaigner has a free guide on his site.
          Nick Buczak
          19th Ind

[url]http://www.allempires.com[/url]

Comment

Hey everybody. I also used the young campaigner's web page to make a mechanics cap. It was my first cap, and much to my surprise turned out very well. I used some left over gray jean wool from a jacket project. I then used unbleached heavy cotton for the visor, sewed it, then painted it. Good luck on the cap.
            Kenton Siers

“South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum” - James L. Petigru

Comment

do you have a description on how the painted cloth cover was constructed and fit over the cap. I plan on making a wheel cap and cover. Is the cover made in the same order as the oil cloth havlock

Dear Mr. Bergo, please sign your full name to your posts. A link to the forum rules are posted below my signature in the PM I sent you. - Silas Tackitt, moderator
              Last edited by Silas; 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM. Reason: Signature rule violation - standard infration imposed

Comment

I also am intrested in a cover, i have yet to come across a image of one through? does anyone have one?
                Martyn Goddard
                American Eagle Society
                Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

I have made a few mechanics caps myself. And I seen one that was all painted. But as to it's origin that is up in the air. But are you looking more for the 39' Forage cap. Many people consider this cap a Wheel hat.
                  Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Ian McWherter View Post

Also, these caps more often have just painted cloth covers (the body of the cap being made from wool), rather than being constructed entirely from painted cloth. The logic makes sense, in foul weather you wear the cover, in hot humid weather you take it off so you don't swelter.
                    i am interested in the painted covers, are they similar to painted cloth covers used on kepi,s and forage caps? what do they look like are there any images of these wheel cap covers around?
                    Martyn Goddard
                    American Eagle Society
                    Mess #4

Comment

Gents, please keep in mind this is the non-military section of the forum... discussion of non-military caps is fine. For military-related things, please do open a thread in the military sections.
                      Regards,
                      Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Originally Posted by Ian McWherter

i am interested in the painted covers, are they similar to painted cloth covers used on kepi,s and forage caps? what do they look like are there any images of these wheel cap covers around?

This is a civilian subject, i am very interested as stated earlier in oilcloth covers for civilian so called wheel caps/ mechanics caps i only used the example of oilcloth covers for military caps as a example and only that.
                        Last edited by fedhead; 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM.
                        Martyn Goddard
                        American Eagle Society
                        Mess #4

Comment

Working...
                        X