Civilian reenactors who portray slaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian reenactors who portray slaves

Is anyone familiar with civilian reenactors who portray slaves? In Gettysburg, I saw a trio of them -- a mom and her two children -- walking behind their well-dressed master and mistress. I recently mentioned this episode to two of my co-workers -- high school teachers to be exact -- and they were quite shocked. "It's insensitive," one of them told me. As such, I'm curious to find out about what these particular civilian reenactors go through at times. Spotting a black Confederate soldier is rare enough, but how often does one see a slave?

Joe Sabatino

Re: Civilian reenactors who portray slaves

This is Virginia's spouse responding.

One of our good friends portrays a slave who belongs to another friend. His attitude, I believe, is that it was no disgrace to be a slave since that was not really a career choice. So why not introduce a historic element that actually gives a chance to illustrate to modern spectators the dehumanizing everyday routine of slavery that was involved in the relationship between slave and master/mistress. A chance for a bit of education. As long as they weren't treating their impressions as stereotypical caricatures of slaves, I don't think it was insensitive.

Michael Mescher
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

If I take both mainstream and history heavy events together, I'd say a see a slave portrayed at about 1 of 5 events I frequent in the Deep South.

Not necessarily the same folks each time either. Now, its harder to tell who is not portraying a slave but a free man of color hiring as a day laborer, unless I have a reason to directly interact with him in character---rare, since I'm lower farming class female.

But then, black confederates are not that rare here either. At least, there's enough doing this portrayal that I don't think "wow, you don't see that", but instead think "lets see, have I met his wife yet?"
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

My odds are about the same as Mrs. Lawson's. Saw a slave coming into Sherman's lines this spring, and expect to see at least one Georgia house slave this fall, and I'm going to less than ten events this year.

I hope some of those who portray slaves will comment, but personally, I don't see much difference between black people portraying their heritage along with white people. Everybody's story needs told, one weekend at a time.

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@gmail.com
        Last edited by Hank Trent; 07-17-2010, 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
        Hank Trent

Comment

Joe,

Your school teacher friends need an education. It is the accurate portrayal of history and it is something that needs to be done. Just as we need to remember "those who fought here", we need to remember those who were enslaved and freed here. Otherwise all those arguments about the reason behind the war are pointless.
          Joe Smotherman

Comment

(Ugh kicked the surge protector and turned off the computer)

Anyway back to what I was typing before...

I find that most have said what needs to be said on this matter though I portray free blacks and slaves.

With nearly 4 million slaves living in the U.S. in 1860, their remembrance is not just nice but is ESSENTIAL to understanding the Civil War. Slaves while always at risk to be whipped, beaten, sold, separated from kinship and friend networks, raped, and some killed still managed to create amazing networks of family and friends, aid in creating a distinctive Southern culture, created amazing landscapes, material culture, and buildings (some of these things still exist today). Others risked their lives in attempts to break free from perpetual bondage. During the Civil War, thousands escaped and entered into Union lines and some enlisted as US Colored Troops, the first real official recognition by the military of Black participation up to this point in time. However, MOST slaves remained in bondage until the end of the Civil War and that story must be told too.

All people must understand slavery from its earliest inception in America. The stories that we have to tell are immense but they are important not JUST to honor those who are now dead but to make an impact and in my opinion to encourage people to think of modern day slave trafficking and holding not just in far off places where Americans are apt to criticize and call "third world countries" but right here in the USA. Legalized slavery in the USA ended in 1865, slavery did not end.
            Sincerely,
            Emmanuel Dabney
            Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
            http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Great response, Emmanuel.
              I'm here in the Deep south and have only met 4 people who've re-enacted slaves so far. (But I'm new in the hobby, and haven't been to many events). I'm planning on portraying a house slave this year--usually I'm a free woman, so this'll be a new challenge.
              Hopefully in the future my whole family (parents, siblings & I) will be able to do a slave family impression, which is something you don't see very often.
              [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
              Historical Interpreter

Comment

Originally posted by MissMia View Post
                I'm here in the Deep south and have only met 4 people who've re-enacted slaves so far. (But I'm new in the hobby, and haven't been to many events). I'm planning on portraying a house slave this year--usually I'm a free woman, so this'll be a new challenge.
                Hopefully in the future my whole family (parents, siblings & I) will be able to do a slave family impression, which is something you don't see very often.
                I'm glad that you are interested in varying your impression.

The approach that many modern high school textbooks give on slavery is a, "one size fits all," perspective.

In reality, the life of a mid-19th century slave could have been vastly different from another slave or a free woman/man living just a few miles down the road.

I am often looked at with strange expressions when I tell people that there were wealthy Black plantation owners, primarily in Louisiana and along the Mississippi, who owned many slaves as well. And that a substantial section of New Orleans was owned by Black merchants.

In any event, portraying people in bondage is a very under-represented perspective of the mid 19th century.
                Chip Uhlir
                SCAR

Comment

Originally posted by MissMia View Post
                  Hello Miss Mia,

I believe there's a level of PC discomfort when people (visitors and fellow reenactors, alike) actually see the walking, talking reality of one person owning another human being. I know I'd feel a little strange if I were speaking to someone about a task that needed doing and they sent another person off to do whatever errand we were talking about. Nonetheless, I think it's great that you're portraying different African American impressions and showing more than one side of the story. I'd love to see you "in action" one day!
                  [B][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]Sherri Groff[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT="Garamond"][B][SIZE="2"]Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning. - William Arthur Ward[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"][B][SIZE="2"]Proud member of the 186th PA, Civilian Group[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by aeryn406 View Post
                    Hello Miss Mia,

I believe there's a level of PC discomfort when people (visitors and fellow reenactors, alike) actually see the walking, talking reality of one person owning another human being. I know I'd feel a little strange if I were speaking to someone about a task that needed doing and they sent another person off to do whatever errand we were talking about. Nonetheless, I think it's great that you're portraying different African American impressions and showing more than one side of the story. I'd love to see you "in action" one day!
                    I understand what you mean...when I was at a large event earlier this year, I portrayed a companion/servant to a southern woman (we're about the same age). I could tell some {spectators} were uncomfortable, most curious. I guess it's a role thats not often portrayed at mainstream events...
                    [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
                    Historical Interpreter

Comment

Certainly the reality of slavery will never totally be experienced but I have had moments in which it really hit home.

One such event took place at a private residence constructed in 1859 and owned by a friend of mine. Several years ago we had a non-spectator event and while compromises were made we still (overall) had a first person living history for ourselves.

In my quest to understand the lives of enslaved laborers I portrayed one of the domestic servants of this family. About a dozen white women of varying age from teenage to middle years were present. Over the course of the day I was tasked with serving coffee in the morning, serving lunch about 1PM, and tea about 5PM. Over the course of about 7 hours, I had nearly no conversation (as I was the only black person in attendance), the women were busy trying to clothe and feed Confederate troops with their discussion of forming an aid society in early 1862 (as the setting was), I did not eat or drink with them. I scarfed down a few morsels of food in between serving them and then stood in such a way as recommended in Robert Roberts' The House Servant's Directory (published in 1827, new editions in 1828 and 1843 and available now online for free). I tried as best as possible to model my behaviors off what was recommended in his book and Mary Randolph's The Virginia House-Wife (1824). Still even being the "perfect" servant could fall short. I found my mood often as "She wants one part sugar. This one wants none. Why didn't they ask for that when I just came around this room?!"

A pessimist would say that I always recognized I would never be sold, or actually beaten until blood ran from my body, or anything else that occurred to real slaves; but for a sliver of time I understood what it would be like to be constantly observed. My friends understood what it may be like to not actually be friends with a black guy but rather be the ever watchful boss whose entertaining abilities depended on owning others and forcing them to work. There was considerable conversation after the 5PM tea about what both parties learned and how they felt.

I was hungry and dehydrated as I didn't drink anything for 7 hours beyond one glass of water at lunch.
                      Sincerely,
                      Emmanuel Dabney
                      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                      http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

And may I say as one of the white women at that event (and one who has "owned" you at other events) that you were brilliant....

Colleen
                        [FONT=FranklinGothicMedium][color=darkslategray][size=1]Colleen Formby
                        [URL=www.agsas.org]AGSAS[/URL]
                        [URL]www.geocities.com/col90/civilwar.html[/URL] [/font][/color][/size][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

Comment

Dear Joe:

I have portrayed at various times a house slave who was a cook for a middle class family at Recon where we froze our butts off at Cedar Creek, an enslaved housekeeper for an upper class family at Welbourne, a contraband slave who runs off with the union Army-Bentonville, 2000, an escaped slave in drag (doing my Harriet Tubman imitation)! at Struggle for Freedom and have also portrayed a free black woman who was lower class and another event where I was middle class. I feel the portrayal of slaves and free people of color is very much under represented and needs to be expanded at all events whether mainstream or authentic. I have always received a favorable reaction from reenactors and spectators when they see me. A lot of times, the reenactors thank me for coming! Most living historians realize the absence of black reenactors is an omission that they would like to correct as they realize the absence is not historically correct. Black people were everywhere in both armies in support roles, in military roles in both armies, civilians in the path of war as refugees and those that remained on the plantation. There were free men of color on both sides. 20% of the black population in VA was free, 50% in MD, some of whom were landholders, farmers, laborers, mechanics, sailors, seamstresses, barbers, businessmen, educators and pastors. I applaud ANYONE who attempts to interpret even a sliver of these real people who experienced Civil War. It is an honor for me to interpret those people who came before me and endured great hardships. I am where I am because of them. My attitude when I am portraying a slave is that I am engaged in "ancestor worship." It is nothing to be ashamed of and I feel I am honoring my earliest black ancestor Robert Eggleston (1822-1910) whose father was his owner and freed himself when his white half brothers reneged on his white father's promise to free him.

Those individuals who feel insulted or feel that it is insensitive need to realize that this is part of history and if they feel uncomfortable, they need to look inward and ask themselves why it makes them uncomfortable and use it as a chance for self exploration and an opportunity to expand their knowledge. It is important not to deny one's feelings and to learn from them. To condemn the impression reflects ignorance and unneeded PC posturing.

Anita L. Henderson
                          Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society-Cook
                          13th VA Cavalry, Co. H-Light Sussex Dragoons-Bugler

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Dabney View Post
                            Over the course of about 7 hours, I had nearly no conversation (as I was the only black person in attendance),
                            That brings up something else, that I wish were different, but being white, there's not a durn thing I can do about it.

One major aspect of the 19th century that's missing from reenacting, is slave (or free black) culture as it occurred without white people around. Ironically, it's a world I could never see reenacted except as a modern spectator at an interpretive event, because by definition it wouldn't happen when I'm there, but still, that must have been a vital part of enslaved peoples' lives--the fellowship and shared misery, hope, love, and socializing.

The gap in our reenacted world showed up clearly just before the last Westville, when the McDonald household members were discussing their relationships, and I said, "What about Marvin [portraying their slave]? He doesn't have a black part of town to socialize in. Who can he hang out with?"

We worked out a way for him to hang out at the tavern, but there should have been a whole community beyond what white people were portraying. Hopefully, as more people realize the importance of studying and understanding the heritage of enslaved people, more reenactors will become interested in it, and we'll start to see a critical mass develop to allow a recreation of that world.

Hank Trent
                            hanktrent@gmail.com
                            Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Emmanuel Dabney View Post
                              Certainly the reality of slavery will never totally be experienced but I have had moments in which it really hit home.

A pessimist would say that I always recognized I would never be sold, or actually beaten until blood ran from my body, or anything else that occurred to real slaves; but for a sliver of time I understood what it would be like to be constantly observed. My friends understood what it may be like to not actually be friends with a black guy but rather be the ever watchful boss whose entertaining abilities depended on owning others and forcing them to work. There was considerable conversation after the 5PM tea about what both parties learned and how they felt.

I was hungry and dehydrated as I didn't drink anything for 7 hours beyond one glass of water at lunch.

I imagine it was strange for your friends to change their way of thinking about you for the day and it was a pretty brave of you (and the ladies) to volunteer to re-create that sort of scene! Bravo!
                              Last edited by ElizabethClark; 08-17-2010, 12:00 PM.
                              [B][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]Sherri Groff[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT="Garamond"][B][SIZE="2"]Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning. - William Arthur Ward[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"][B][SIZE="2"]Proud member of the 186th PA, Civilian Group[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X