Pencil Sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pencil Sharpening

Given my tendency to cut myself with sharp objects, I was wondering if there was some type of instrument, other than knives or razors, that might be used to sharpen pencils? Perhaps something like sandpaper attached to a piece of wood?
    Elizabeth Topping
    Columbus, Ohio

Re: Pencil Sharpening

I've been looking for a pencil sharpener similar to the one listed as Strange's patent or Foster's patent listed on this website.

I've just not found a reliable reproduction source for these. I need to ask some friends who work at Living History Farms for a source, since they have them in their 1870s General Store, but they aren't for sale.
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Bernard Lassimone, a French mathematician, applied for the first patent (French patent #2444) on pencil sharpeners in 1828. Therry des Estwaux came out with a mechanical sharpener in 1844 and invented an improved mechanical sharpener in 1847. The first American pencil sharpener was patented by Walter K. Foster of Bangor, Maine in 1855. By 1865 companies were manufacturing pencil sharpeners.

I don’t know of anybody making reproductions so you might want to keep checking e-bay and/or antique stores or have someone ells sharpen it with a knife.

Also take a look at this website http://www.officemuseum.com/sharpener_small.htm
      Attached Files
      Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Here is what is said to be a Pewter pencil sharpener excavated from the Port Hudson Battlefield in Louisiana. It is listed on a relic sales site here . I have tried myself to find a patent etc for such an item, because it would be something small that a NCO or Officer might carry. I have I had not seen one until I saw this website. Thanks for posting this. Maybe someone could reproduce these. Very cool find Thanks.

Last edited by PetePaolillo; 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM.
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Of course, you could always send your pencils to a professional "Artisan Pencil Sharpener." He only charges $15 per pencil...

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

A.J.
          A.J. Hamler

Comment

Well, I guess I've seen it all now.

Tell you what folks, I'll hand sharpen your pencil for $10. And to make it even more exciting, I won't wear a dust mask while doing it. And - there's more. Have one pencil sharpened for the low price of $10 and I'll throw in an extra pencil. That's right - 2 hand sharpened pencils for the price of one! You can't beat it so contact me now before the price goes up!
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Now that's a deal.

Joe Smotherman lurks on here from time to time. I might check with him as I know he had to have a couple for his journalist impression.
              Andrew "Abner" Martin
              AKM Dry Goods

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I had no idea that sharpeners were available during the CW - and that Office Museum website is AWESOME! Very helpful info!!!
                Elizabeth Topping
                Columbus, Ohio

Comment

Here's a link to a pencil sharperner owned by Bill McIntosh:

http://www.sullivanpress.com/images/.../sharpener.jpg
                  Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
                  Elverson, PA

Comment

Working...
                  X