No announcement yet.

Womans Cape for Winter/ fool weather ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Womans Cape for Winter/ fool weather ?

I am looking out for an aprobiate Overcoat/ Cape Pattern for a 40 years old Woman for foll weather / winter. Fabrics ?I prefer Wool . I want to sew it by myself. It must match to an midlle class or craftsmann (like a local carpenter or locksmith) impression.
    Whats to say about an Inverness cape ?
    Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
    Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
    Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Re: Womans Cape for Winter/ fool weather ?

Maybe they can help you out: http://thesewingacademy.org/
    Bene von Bremen

German Mess

"I had not previously known one could get on, even in this unsatisfactory fashion, with so little brain."
    Ambrose Bierce "What I Saw of Shiloh"

Comment

Yes, the place to go is Elizabeth Stewart Clark's Sewing Academy at Home. The short answer is: An Inverness cape is lovely and romantic but not very practical. You will find it heavy, bulky and not all that warm. When you get to the Sewing Academy, search for "Jacket", "Paletot" and "Cape" to find lots of pros and cons for different styles of coats and jackets that may be more practical. Think about it...the length of an Inverness cape doesn't necessarily add warmth to a lady wearing a hoop skirt and it tends to gap open in the front. It also gets in the way constantly. The goal is to keep her back, front and arms warm and that can be done with less fabric much more efficiently. Also highly recommended is the addition of a warm petticoat, such as a quilted one or a flannel petticoat for keeping the lower extremities warm. The warm petticoat and jacket with the addition of a scarf, sontag and warm hood with nice warm gloves will keep her much more comfortable.

Trish Hasenmueller
      Last edited by Trish Hasenmueller; 08-29-2010, 09:13 AM. Reason: to add signature

Comment

Depending on the weather, you might get far more mileage out of a few choice wool pieces: a wool dress, wool petticoat, wool shawl, and wool (lined with silk) hood will all keep a woman quite toasty in cool weather. If you are limited as to budget, I'd make a point to start with a wool petticoat, wool stockings, the shawl, and the hood.

Coats, rather than capes, are far more functional in truly cold weather.
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I think, a coat or pettycoat is the first choice, because in winter we have sometimes arround 0°F and below. At the weekend i will check the sewing academy. I think I 've more questions in future again.
          Thank you for your Informations !

P.S. I couldn't find a translation for "sontag" !

German Mess

Comment

Sontag refers to a knitted vest type of garment with a back and two "wings" that come up, over the shoulders, cross over the bosom and tie behind the body at the waist.
            There is a pattern to knit one at http://www.raggedsoldier.com/sontag.html
            Sincerely,
            Micaila
            M. Micaila Curtin

Comment

That's a great description of a sontag! We think it was named for the famous singer, Henriette Sontag: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...nriette-Sontag ...but we don't know why.

There is another name for the sontag, 'bosom buddy'.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

My intetion for the Name was, before seen it, that it was a clothing for Sunday or in German "Sonntag"

German Mess

Comment

it quite possibly could have originally been for church wear, as churches could get quite cold during this era. i do not, however, have any evidence to back-up this hypothesis.
                  can anyone else verify this?
                  Nancy Hogan-Rohrbaugh
                  Gettysburg National Military Park
                  Museum and Visitor Center
                  Visitor Services Asst Mgr and Space Reservations
                  Gettysburg, PA
                  [URL="http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org"]www.gettysburgfoundation.org[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X