Looking for help dating image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help dating image

Attached is an image found with a post-war image of my g-g-grandfather, who was in the 26th NC. In letters from the war, he wrote my g-g-grandmother that he was going to send a picture of him when he got his uniform. When he finally did send a picture, he wrote that it was taken in the same suit that he left home in. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out, based on clothing or any other items in the image, if this picture was likely taken in 1861. Any information would be appreciated.

Carlton Mansfield
    26th North Carolina Troops

Re: Looking for help dating image

Hallo!

A tough one...

IF I had nothing else, and knew nothing else, I would want to put the image in the 1870's due to the "four in hand" knot and tie (a fashion trend catching on in the
    1850's in Britain, and afterwards slowly in the US.)

But the lad looks young. Could he be of a young looking age in the late 1860's, or 1870's?

My bias is the tie makes it post War a bit... which seems ot be supported by the family history. On the other hand, the suit itself could be 1861, with the tie possibly being added at a latter date when the image was struck.

Dunno.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Maybe Ian McWherter or Jim Ruley will weigh in here too, but I believe this is most likely a post war image & agree with Curt re: the tie. In addition the sack coats of the 1860's NUG had four button fronts and the front did not sweep back like this. There are plates in Salibury's tailoring syatem published in 1865 that shows the front starting to sweep back but still had 4 buttons. 1895 fashion plates in Nora Waugh's Cut of Men's Clothes show a striking resemblence to the front sweep & the use of 3 button front, which this photo could have. 2 buttons are readily visible and there could be another nestled in the folds of the lapel. In addition, the neck opening of the vest is fairly high and the openings of single breasted vest tended to rise as the '60's progressed. The front of the vest also seems to exhibit the straight line at the waist indicative of a later fashion.

Is there anything about the photo itself that would help date the photographic process used?
      Last edited by OlszowyTM; 09-03-2010, 07:50 PM. Reason: typos
      [I][B]Terri Olszowy[/B][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by OlszowyTM View Post
        Is there anything about the photo itself that would help date the photographic process used?
        I only have a copy that I received with transcriptions of the letters. I'm trying to track down the originals of the photo and the letters. They are with distant cousins. This is precisely the type of information I was hoping someone would share. Thanks for the replies.
        Carlton Mansfield
        26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

Mr Mansfield,

Si Harrington at NCDoHR would love to have a copy of any image, document or letter that you are willing to send him.

LTC (Ret.) Sion H. Harrington III
          Military Collection Archivist
          Special Collections Branch
          NC Division of Historical Resources
          4614 Mail Service Center
          Raleigh, NC 27699-4614
          (919) 807-7314 (Voice)
          (919) 733-1354 (Fax)

sion.harrington@ncdcr.gov

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I agree with the consensus so far. He does look very young, however, the coat he is wearing shares a very striking resemblance to an identified 1870's "cut away frock" that I have. But again, I am no aficionado.
            V/R
            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Too, the very slim cut of his trousers looks post-war to me.
              Regards,
              Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Working...
              X