Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• women with short hair thread

Hello,

I have tried several searches throughout the A-C and cannot seem to find this particular thread ("hair", "women's hair", "short hair women", "women short hair", etc, etc, etc.).

For some reason I recall there was definitely a thread posted by one of the female members (how long ago and by whom I cannot recall) which discussed, and contained a few images, of CW period women sporting shorter hair, can anyone please point me in the right direction to find this thread.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Re: women with short hair thread

I cast about by listing "hair" in the search engine - sometimes you can find what you seek if you use less search terms. Sort of like casting a larger net over the same area.

My net generated nothing useful after fifteen pages of searching on the AC Forum. I did find a few interesting distractions . . .

But notice I said "on the AC Forum". I suggest you try asking or searching for your question over on the Sewing Academy Forum. Somewhere, under all the endless discussions on proper corset manufacture, "correct" fabric at Joann's sales, sleeve construction, and "OMG you look GORGEOUS!!!" commentaries, I am certain you will find a number of threads on women with short hair.

Incidentally, I post there, so what reads like chauvinistic sarcasm is actually gentle satire. The folks over there are good people. Plus, it's run by our own Liz Clark, so it's difficult to go wrong.

Comment

Sir-
      I'm sorry it's taken us so long to get back to you. Most of us ladies are of an age we either need help styling long hair or help disguising hairpieces to create long hair... so we don't think about short-haired women often. There WAS a short-lived fad for short hair among the young and passionate Confederate sympathizers at the start of the war. It was quite common for girls and pre-teens to have shoulder length or shorter hair, but they generally began growing it out in the teen years. The "general rule" was still for long hair on adult women, especially once they take their place among the matrons of society. Without more information on what your particular situation is, we can only give you "general info." Hope this helps a bit. :)

Several places short hair on adult women (and how to style it correctly for our era) is discussed on the Sewing Academy @ Home forum include:

http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=521.0
      http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=3857.0
      http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=3577.0
      -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Mr. Briggs,

Thank you for your response. I did try many different search on this forum but I think the thread I was looking for was lost during one of the crashes. Also, thank you for the other suggestions.

Ms. Kessinger,

Thank you for the links to the sewingacadamy, they were very helpful.
        Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Working...
        X