Census Occupation Notation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Occupation Notation

I have been reading a census compiled near a military fort and a certain household has peaked my curiosity. Not saying that this particular household was one, I began to wonder how a census taker treated a house of prostitutes.
    Josephine Byrum

Re: Census Occupation Notation

The ones I have seen (that I have known to have been brothels from other research) have simply listed the women as "boarders" either with no occupation listed or called "servant" and the madam as the "proprietor of lodging house". Apparently they have also been listed as seamstresses and laundresses, though I haven't personally seen any of those listings. I imagine it depended on how discreet they were trying to be.

I did see a census page for Belle Fourche, SD in 1910, with a famous brothel madam listed as Proprietor of Resort, and the women there as listed as boarders, their occupations "inmates in a resort".
    Carrie Preston
    1st Cousin 4X removed of Pvt. Thomas Lalor, 6th Wisconsin Infantry, Company E, died 5 May, 1864, aged 18, Battle of Wildnerness.
    Married to the 3rd great-nephew of Pvt. Philander Bissett, 7th North Carolina Infantry, Company E, POW 5 or 6 May 1864, Battle of Wilderness.
    Yes, it's a small country, isn't it?

Comment

The 1860 federal census of Hagerstown, MD includes a head of household who's occupation is listed as "Bawdy House" and fellow residents listed with the occupation of "prostitute."

Another term often used in period, not used much today is "cyprian".
      -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Can we produce either a scan or quotation from the census concerning this.
        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

It is listed at the bottom of the page. There are an additional two girls on the next census page (not shown).

Josephine Byrum

Comment

US Federal Census, Hagerstown, Washington Co. MD

Pg. 13
            Dwelling #87, "Family" #107
            Anne Love, Bawdy House
            Margaret Allison, Prostitute
            Elizabeth Hurley, "

Pg. 14
            Dwelling #87, "Family" #107, con't
            Kate Hicks, Prostitute
            Mary Farntune, "

Pg. 66
            Dwelling # 135, "Family" #150
            Catherine Young, Prostitute
            Mary E. Hellman, "
            Georgiana Bostick, "

pg. 77
            Dwelling #220, "Family" #246
            Julia Farrest, Prostitute

pg.78
            Dwelling #224, "Family" #251
            Sarah Jumper, Prostitute

Dwelling #225, "Family" #252
            Sarah A. Tall, Prostitute

Dwelling #226, "Family" #254
            Roseanna Zimmerman, Prostitute

Dwelling #227, "Family" #255
            Mary Shafer, Prostitute

Pg. 80
            Dwelling #237, "Family" #267
            Jane Matthews, Prostitute

Dwelling #243, "Family" #274
            Elizabeth Feigley, Prostitute

Pg. 86
            Dwelling #289,"Family" #333
            Melinda Walters, Prostitute

Comment

The ages of the women in Anne Love's house interests me...Anne, 60, George (Her son?) 20, Margaret 26, Elizabeth 30. What about the ones on the next page? I always had been led to believe that a prostitute would be younger in age than these women.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Poor George.
                Carlton Mansfield
                26th North Carolina Troops

Comment

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

The households that are mentioned by Elaine.
                  Josephine Byrum

Comment

Originally posted by Trish Hasenmueller View Post
                    The ages of the women in Anne Love's house interests me...Anne, 60, George (Her son?) 20, Margaret 26, Elizabeth 30. What about the ones on the next page? I always had been led to believe that a prostitute would be younger in age than these women.

Trish Hasenmueller
                    Many Madams/Boarding House Owners were older women - 40s to 60s. Lower class brothels also had older women (30s-40s) working as prostitutes because they could not get work in the middle and upper class brothels which featured young ladies or girls for more $$. Maybe the older ladies looked REALLY good or perhaps they had, er, special skills, that the younger ladies lacked :confused_
                    Was George's last name Love? I missed that. If not, he may have been an employee - like a bouncer/handyman - depending on the class of house. Or even the Madam's lover :wink_smil
                    William Sanger's work "The History of Prostitution" shows results of an 1855 census taken in NYC specifically relating to prostitutes, showing their ages, previous occupations, nationalities, etc.
                    Elizabeth Topping
                    Columbus, Ohio

Comment

I found it interesting that in several listings only one woman in the household was listed as a "prostitute", yet all of the household members had the same last name.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Kessinger View Post
                        I found it interesting that in several listings only one woman in the household was listed as a "prostitute", yet all of the household members had the same last name.
                        Some theorize that women in the same blood family would work together in the same brothel - one gal would "brag" about the "easy" work and great pay, which would entice her sisters, cousins, etc. to join her. Another theory is that the women working in a house would take the last name of the Madam, which was most likely false. This way the girls could have some anonymity and the house could "pass" as a legitimate family household.
                        Elizabeth Topping
                        Columbus, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                        X