Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested reading for a newbie

Happy Holidays to all.
    I am starting to study Men’s Civilian Clothing in the hope of starting a Civilian Impression in addition to my military one. I have found that it is a lot easier to gather information on the Male Military side of society during our chosen period then the civilian side. But have purchased copies of “Victorian and Edwardian Fashion A photographic Survey” by Alison Gernsheim (ISBN 0-486-24205-6) and “Thoughts on Men’s Shirts In America 1750-1900” by William L. Brown III (ISBN-1-57747-048-6). I was hoping for some suggestions on other reading sources. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Curtis
    Adjutant
    1st Illinois Battalion

Re: Suggested reading for a newbie

Stephen,

Citizens Companion published a Men's & Children's Special Edition a few years back. There may still be copies about at sutlers or you could try to contact them....just google it. Should be about $5. Another book is by Donna Abrams, I think it is "How they Dressed". Check out Abraham's Lady web site...less than $20 if I recall correctly.

Both books you have are a great start. Enjoy!

Sherry Key.
    Sherry Key
    aka Mrs. Cornbread

Comment

I have my CDVs on my website at http://www.txcwcivilian.org/id90.html; you might find them helpful. You may also find some readings here http://www.txcwcivilian.org/id88.html. My site is pretty specific to Texas; however, I do have a list of some civilian centered, no Texas specific books listed.
      Annette Bethke
      Austin TX
      Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
      [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Stephen,
        I might recommend some other books concerning clothing and civilian lifestyles:
        Textiles in America, by Montgomery
        A People at War, by Nelson Sheriff
        Handbook of Practical Cutting on the Centre Point System 1866, By Louis Devere
        The Interest In Slavery Of The Southern Non-Slaveholder​, by James Dunwoody Brownson De Bow
        My Likeness Taken: Daguerreian Portraits In America, by Joan L. Severa
        At Home: The American Family 1750-1870, by Elisabeth Donaghy Garrett

Archeological Records, especially from steamboats are awesome due to their ability to illustrate all types of clothing:
        The Material Culture of Steamboat Passengers - Archaeological Evidence from the Missouri River (THE PLENUM SERIES IN UNDERWATER ARCHAEOLOGY) (The Springer Series in Underwater Archaeology) by Annalies Corbin
        The Treasures of the Steamboat Arabia by, David Hawley
        Treasure in a Cornfield: The Discovery & Excavation of the Steamboat Arabia by, Greg Hawley (Author), Debra Shouse (Editor), Dave Orf (Illustrator), Harry Barth (Photographer)

Before recreating any clothing yourself or purchasing other reproductions look at images but more importantly find a museum or repository to you and go look at some originals. Get an idea of where the fine sewing is, coarse sewing, construction techniques, etc.- Keep in mind extant garments are often not a representation of the everyday but what was exceptional and has survived.
        Last edited by Busterbuttonboy; 12-31-2010, 08:52 PM.
        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I am sure I will have more questions...... I am now off to locate your suggestions.

Stephen Curtis
          Adjutant
          1st Illinois Battalion

Comment

Working...
          X