women's impression questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• women's impression questions?

Could anyone give me some advice on what would be appropriate attire for a northern, middle class woman as far as a proper dress, hat or bonnet, etc? I am giving a presentation at a museum in April and need to get my impression together for this. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!
    Kristen Cooper

Re: women's impression questions?

I'll tell you what numerous people on this forum would tell you: Go over to Elizabeth Stewart Clark's web site. Read her articles on appropriate dress. Read the Sewing Academy at Home Forum, use the search feature and then read some more.

and look at lots of photos of ladies of the era. Here's a good collection: http://www.thegracefullady.com/civil...edeVisites.htm

After all that you might get an idea of what you need. There is just no easy, quick answer. Sorry.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

I would add two books with CDVs, 1-Who Wore What by Juanita Leisch @ $30 and 2-How they dressed by Donna Abraham @ $15 you might find it on her web site, www.abrahamslady.com

Both have an abundance of images and good information.

Sherry Key.
      Sherry Key
      aka Mrs. Cornbread

Comment

Sorry to be late to the discussion:

Middle class, go with a good bonnet, tastefully fashionable dress (wool or silk work well, possibly a sheer cotton for summer), and good accessories. I like both books Sherry mentions above quite a lot (Donna autographed mine, which is very cool!). One thing you might do is hit your local historic society archives, and take a peek at the citizens from the area in the time window you want. That, plus newspaper ads, store records, letters, diaries, etc can give you a great picture of not only what was appropriate in general, but what was favored in particular in your area.
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Working...
        X