Civilian bottom shirts!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian bottom shirts!!

How popular were they? Were they a fashion or a necessity? I'm having trouble finding any documentation on them, so if anyone knows or could point me in the right direction.
    Also if I'm using a bottom shirt, where could I find a quality vendor, or pattern to make my own and what type of fabric? Thanks

Ronnie Raymond
    Aco. Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
    Ronnie Raymond
    CVG, Arsenal Guards

Re: Civilian bottom shirts!!

Ronnie,

The following websites take you to quality, well researched and documented garments, provided by "authentic" vendors. I have looked at all of these reproductions and they are accurate and constructed like so many of the originals I have examined. (This list of vendors is not all inclusive, but it is a start.)

As for popularity for the period we portray, I will let someone field that question.

Very respectfully,
    Matt Semple
    Matthew Semple

Comment

Another approved vendor is Army Drawers who list making bottom shirts. No experience with them personally though. I have one from corner clothiers that I wear with my issue shirt.

I remember reading at least one account of a soldier talking about a bottom shirt. He was wounded during the campaigns in 64 after weeks of marching, fighting and no bathing. He said he remember someone cutting off his bottom shirt from him. He said up till that point he thought he had lost it days ago and was no longer wearing it. He was so dirty that the shirt had almost become part of his skin. I wish I could remember which book that story was in....
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks fellas!!
        Ronnie Raymond
        CVG, Arsenal Guards

Comment

Working...
        X