ladies Haversack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ladies Haversack

My wife is wanting to portray a woman of modest means who has taken over running the family farm in rural TN. She will be riding (sidesaddle of course), to take care of business in the area. Would a woman's haversack be appropriate to carry necessities? The dress would not be of the type seen in Godey's (formal). It is a more informal, utilitarian style.

Ronnie Tucker
    Ronnie Tucker,
    Chief of Scouts
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Re: ladies Haversack

Rather than unnecessarily taking on the 'things of a man', I'd suggest she utilize common items she would normally have at her disposal.

(1) A sturdy day dress in a utilitarian fabric, with interior 'supported pockets' or the older style independent pocket that tied to the waist separately. Properly supported to the waist on a sturdy dress, I can carry everything from food for children (in smaller bags) to small shopping. A miser's purse or other small coin purse is a necessity

(2) Some styles of ladies traveling bags were quite large. Period Impressions offers one such pattern.

(3) Use of an item that could be commonly around the farm, such as a 'market wallet' hung over the saddle.

Realize too that we can document both rural women and women of some high station (Mrs. Henry Clay) riding astride during the period. Etiquette books railed against the idea--precisely because people were doing it. You may wish to look into riding trousers as well

One occassionally sees lower grade sutlers selling a 'ladies haversack' made up in some brocade material to use as a purse. These seem to be an undocumented fantasy item---when there are plenty of period alternatives that are suited to the task.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
    X