"What Should We Eat?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What Should We Eat?"

Found the following article in the September 1, 1864 issue of The Illinois Farmer tonight, and was quite interested in its intended usage. Getting the most "bang for your buck" has to be particularly important for labor-intensive jobs like farming. Especially for women and children covering down while Dad's away.

WHAT SHALL WE EAT? -- Is an important question in these times of high prices. Dr. Hall in a late number of his Journal of Health -- good authority, by the way -- says the cheapest articles of food at present prices are bread (especially corn meal), butter, molasses, beans and rice. He shows that 25 cents per pound; and that is a pint of white beans, costing 7 cents, has the amount of nutriment of 3 1/2 lbs of beef at 25 cents per pound, or in other words, the roast beef diet is twelve times as expensive as the beans. Furthermore, a pound of Indian meal will go as far as a pound of fine flour, costing nearly twice as much. Here are some of the common articles of food, showing the amount of nutriment contained and the time required for digestion:

Food/Time of digestion/Amt. of nutriment

Apples, raw /1h 50m/10 pecent
    Beans, boiled/2h 39m/87 percent
    Beef, roasted/3h 30m/26 percent
    Bread, baked/2h 30m/80 percent
    Butter/3h 30m/95 percent
    Cabbage, boiled/4h 30m/7 percent
    Cucumbers, raw/ -- /2 percent
    Fish, boiled/2h 9m/20 percent
    Milk, fresh/2h 15m/7 percent
    Mutton, roasted/3h 15m/30 percent
    Pork, roasted/5h 15m/24 percent
    Poultry, roasted/2h 45m/27 percent
    Potatoes, boiled/2h 30m/13 percent
    Rice, boiled/1h 00m/33 percent
    Sugar/3h 30m/96 percent
    Turnips, boiled/2h 30m/4 percent
    Veal, roasted/4h 00m/25 percent
    Venison, boiled/1h 30m/22 percent

According to the above tables, cucumbers are of very little value, and apples, cabbages, turnips, and even potatoes, at present prices, are expensive eating. Some vegetables and fruits, however, should enter into the family consumption. Among those which contain the most saccharine matter, sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets and carrots, are the most nourishing. Roast pork, besides being in an expensive dish, requires too lengthy a drain upon the forces of the stomach to be a healthy article of food.
    The Illinois Farmer, September 1, 1864. Page 19.
    [SIZE="4"][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Eric Michael Burke[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [B][I][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SlateGray"]"BLACKJACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B]
    [I][URL="http://www.saltriverrifles.com"]Salt River Rifles[/URL][/I]

[URL="http://xvcorps.blogspot.com/"]Forty Rounds: Fifteenth Army Corps, 1862-1865[/URL], Blog Owner.

[SIZE="1"][i][U][B][COLOR="DimGray"]In Proud Memorium:[/COLOR][/B][/U]
    [B]Pvt. James Swingler Chandler (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. H, 111th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. John D. Linthicum (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. F, 118th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Martin Van Buren Straight (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. E, 23rd Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Cpl. Andreas Schoen (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. A, 30th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    [B]Pvt. Madison Burke (3x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Battery B, 1st Ohio Volunteer Heavy Artillery
    [B]Pvt. Eli Bell (4x Great Grandfather)
    [/B]Co. C, 31st Alabama Infantry[/i][/SIZE]

Re: "What Should We Eat?"

It is interesting how Dr Hall measures "nutriment" in regards to the amount of sugar or carbohydrates in food as opposed to protein and other vitamins etc? The below foods did not (other than beans) surprise me as being the most desirable considering they have the most calories. ( which equal energy) these people were not eating while lounging on the couch ;) Their diet certaintly needed to meet their workload. Learning from the past in more ways than one.

Food/Time of digestion/Amt. of nutriment
    Beans, boiled/2h 39m/87 percent
    Bread, baked/2h 30m/80 percent
    Butter/3h 30m/95 percent
    Sugar/3h 30m/96 percent
    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
    X