Civilian soldier appearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian soldier appearance

I am doing a Missouri State Guard impression this year. I have joined the 3rd MO for the 150th anniversary of the Civil War 1861 period. I have most of my civilian soldier clothing and gear but have a question. If a person at that time would have had possession of a cotton web drum sling, could he have made a home made conversion to turn it into a baldric to carry a home made cotton canvas bayonet scabbard, if he possessed a bayonet. I am looking at a period correct snare drum sling at "Cooperman Fife & Drum" and would like to know if it would be acceptable before getting it.

Mark Bergo

Re: Civilian soldier appearance

Mark,

One cannot really say if it would be the right thing to do or not based on a "what if" situation. I've never heard of such a thing but if you have documentation of it being done in the MSG, then you've got the basis for the impression. If not, you don't. I would also think that whether or not you had a bayonet depended on who you are portraying and whether they had any sort of issued weapons. There was an attempt by commanders to arm their men with comparable weapons and gear wherever possible. My advice would be that if you can't document the homemade scabbard, then don't pursue it and go with a period appropriate scabbard and bayonet for the weapon you are carrying or just leave the bayonet at home.

By the way, I spent part of my mainstream days with the 3rd; nice bunch of guys. Say hello to Mr. Hullett for me.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
    X