Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for farmer clothing info or photos

Hi,
    New to the forum, but I am looking for info and/or photo references of civil war period clothing worn by poor "dirt farmers" or "Piney wood" peoples, also possibly information on male slave clothing.

I am intrested in recreating what my ancestors may have looked like while attending living history and reenactment events.

Thanks for any help,
    Randy
    Randell L. Carnley

"I am not ashamed of having fought on the side of slavery—a soldier fights for his country — right or wrong—he is not responsible for the political merits of the course he fights in ... The South was my country."
    Colonel John Singleton Mosby, CSA
    Note: Colonel Mosby personally dissaproved of slavery.

Re: Looking for farmer clothing info or photos

Utilizing the search function in the right hand side of the screen should yield some results, the most prominent I can think of is that of a post from Matthew Rector a few years back dealing with the subject of farmers clothes. He posted a nice article from a newspaper in Pennsylvania not SC dated 1860.......

Other photos may be found on the Library of Congress website.....I'm sure a simple search of "Slaves" should yield some results....and a simple study should show what they are wearing.....

Another great source you may want to check out is the sewing academy forum..thesewingacademy.org..you should be able to browse some of the discussions without a membership
    [FONT="Garamond"]Justin A. Meinert[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X