Athens Civilian living history, August 6 - 7, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athens Civilian living history, August 6 - 7, 2011

The Battle of Athens sesquicentennial event will take place August 6 - 7, 2011, in the original village, located in the northeastern corner of Missouri. This is a beautiful site near the Iowa River. The battle will take place on original ground.

Battle of Athens State Historic Site is a place of peace and serenity. Its historic buildings, tree-studded landscape and mile of Des Moines River frontage make the site a perfect place to hike, picnic or camp. But today’s peace belies the site’s history as the place where the northernmost battle fought west of the Mississippi occurred, when about 500 Union soldiers repelled

There will be a small authentic civilian contingent, portraying the citizens who lived in town during the battle. The village is now being maintained as a state park, and we will be able to live in the houses.

All registrations should go through Charles Hoskins, Holmes Brigade, but I can help out with questions regarding civilians. Further event information will be posted later tonight.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Re: Athens Civilian living history, August 6 - 7, 2011

Do you know if Charles has a particular email address he would like folks to use for this? Or should interested parties contact him through the Holmes brigade website?
    Patrick McAllister
    Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Patrick,

There's a Facebook page for the event here: http://www.facebook.com/n/?event.php...aw%40gmail.com

We can certainly use more people for this folks. The 150th of the most northern most battle in the Trans-Miss. Original town, original ground. Good place to wear civilian clothes since nobody had any uniforms. If you can make it, please do.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Michael, when I click on that link, it takes me to your sign in page on the Facing Book.
        Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
        Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill
        Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Yep it sure do.

I may make it up early enough Mike and would love to join yall for it if I do. I figure that and Wilson's Creek would go together like peas and carrots to me.

Thanks!
          Patrick McAllister
          Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

I was informed today that civilian reenactors will receive free food. Although the houses are mid-19th century structures without electricity or plumbing, there are decent and clean sanitary arrangements on site (it's a state park site.) For MCWRA members, there is no registration fee, but if you haven't yet joined the MCWRA, you'll be asked to pay $10 to cover event insurance.

There is a very basic, no-frills web site for civilians, just to get people started, here: https://sites.google.com/site/starof...upcomingevents

For those who haven't seen the site before -- it's located on the banks of the Iowa River. Several houses have survived,and are being maintained by the Park. We have permission to live in them during the event. We'll portray townsfolk caught up in the stirring events of the day. We need all sorts of civilians -- men, women, children, some of whom could play an important role in the incidents that occurred during the battle.

The park is worth seeing for its own sake. There's an old mill in the woods, as well as remnants of several other houses that are interesting to investigate. There's a nice ramble along the river, and of course the original battle field, which is being maintained in a pristine state.

For registration packets and information, please contact Charles Hoskins as indicated in the first post. Military reenactors who are interested n portraying the Missouri State Guard should contact Mike Comer (see his post above.) Civilians kindly pm me.
            Last edited by Silvana Siddali; 06-30-2011, 11:04 PM.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
            [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
            [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Well, that's kind of weird because it worked for me when I clicked it on here. Try this one: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?e...9986&view=wall and if that does the same thing you can search for 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Athens, MO on Facebook and find it. There should be a post on there that has a registration form you can print out and mail to Charles Hoskins.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Actually it is the DES Moines river not the Iowa river. As Silvana stated this IS the original battlefield. The Kahoka Home Guard is still lpoking for men to fill our ranks. PM me if interested.
                Nathan Hellwig
                AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

The Log Cannon and it's crew will be in force.
                  Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
                  Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Working...
                  X