Shirt construction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shirt construction question

Just agreeing with what was said in regards to piecing to conserve fabric and that I too have seen a few originals from war and antebellum eras.

Another passing fact: As was noted by Mr. Norris, the wedge of fabric added to accommodate a change in the person wearing it - a common practice is also the replacement of the pieces of a shirt that wore out, such as the cuffs and collar. Can't say for absolute fact, but I'd easily suppose a reason for the advent of the removable collars and cuffs, to launder and care for separately. There are shirts from the late 18th century, linen body, cotton cuffs and collars.

Piecing is, as has been mentioned, underrepresented for sure. If you begin to think of every piece of fabric as having value you'll end up with a bag of scraps like me :) Oh and look at period house-wives, sewing kits, fabric of all sorts thrown together to make something useful. Frugality, a beautiful thing!

Best,
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Shirt construction question

The second of two shirt patterns in Sandra Altmans 1860s shirt (Past Patterns) has a two piece sleeve. It also has 2 slender cut gussets in the undersleeve. This pattern is replicated from an original that she has examined and the pattern includes a very complete and interesting sheet of documentation.
      It's very obvious as a seamstress and sewer that these unusual pieces in a garment have to do with available fabric and size....no more,no less :)
      Vivian

Comment

Working...
      X