Citizen's 150th Manassas/Bull Run... or We are very HOT!! in this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizen's 150th Manassas/Bull Run... or We are very HOT!! in this

Fellow Citizens who are anxiously anticipating the 150th Manassas/Bull Run event (either of them):

It was over 100 degrees today in the Virginia piedmont, with very high humidity. Like the counterparts in period, many visitors to this beautiful area of Virginia are not familiar with the climate.

To avoid health issues associated with heat/humidity/exertion I offer a few bits of information.

1) Start NOW!! to consume copious quantities of water. If you need a "taste" to your water, try lemonade powder, pink lemonade powder or fruit juice.

At the event: Lemonade powder and pink lemonade powder were both available in period.

A period recipe for switchel: Equal parts of vinegar (cider or raspberry) and honey. Mix this well and it forms the concentrate. Combine the concentrate with water - 2 tablespooons concentrate to 1 cup water. You may want to adjust the amount of water to make it stronger or weaker according to your taste. (Thanks, Miz Jen)

An excellent article on hot weather beverages (and practical advice on heat safety) from Virginia Mescher: http://www.raggedsoldier.com/hotweather.html

DRINK YOUR WATER

2) Start to walk in the heat for short bits of time to accustom yourself to life without a/c. Start slow and carry water with you.

DRINK YOUR WATER....

3) Dress properly: Use drawers and powder to avoid chafing while wearing a dress. Choose loose weave natural fiber clothing. Cover your head with a hat or sunbonnet.

Several vendors have correct sunbonnets, straw hats, and correct parasols still available in time for the event. (Forum Approved Vendors may feel free to notate their available products in this thread)

DRINK YOUR WATER....

4) Know the symptoms of heat illnesses. Watch for symptoms in yourself, your family, and your "neighbors." Especially watch children, who may not watch themselves.

Sunburn- Redness and pain in the skin. In severe cases there is also swelling, blisters, fever, and headaches.

Heat Cramps - Heavy sweating and painful spasms usually in the leg or abdomen muscles.

Heat Exhaustion - The person becomes weak and is sweating heavily. The skin is cold, pale and clammy. The pulse becomes thready. Fainting and vomiting accompanies heat exhaustion.

Heatstroke/Sunstroke - High body temperature (106 degrees or higher) along with hot dry skin and a rapid and strong pulse. Unconsciousness is possible.

*** Seek an EMT if necessary. It is less embarrassing to be "fussed over" by an EMT at the event than to have an ambulance called on your behalf because you left treatment too late.***

DRINK YOUR WATER.....

5) Sunscreen & Insect Repellent- Caring for your modern health is not "farby."

China container period acceptable for ointments and salves: http://www.marylandchina.com/apps/pr...bCategoryId=34

Burt's Bees Natural Insect Repellent in a glass or pottery container may work well. Also smoke from the campfires will serve as an insect repellent. You might try some cotton netting over your sleeping quarters.

DRINK YOUR WATER...

Please begin now to accustom yourself to the heat, humidity, and exertion you will experience at this event. Good luck. I'll see you there.

DRINK YOUR WATER...

(It's an important subject. Please understand the cross-posting to various fora.)
    Last edited by crabby; 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM. Reason: removed modern non-pertinent link
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Re: Citizen's 150th Manassas/Bull Run... or We are very HOT!! in this

I have already have my jar filled with Lemonade powder.
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Again my point is being missed. I was not looking for a weather report.
      MY POINT IS.... CITIZENS need to start getting accustomed to the heat, humidity, insect level, and exertion level expected for this event... for their SAFETY.

Please, can we keep to topic here.
      Last edited by crabby; 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM. Reason: Removed link to weather information
      -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Manassas was VERY hot and a horrid event for reenactors!

Patrick McKiven

Appalachian Possums Mess

Comment

Working...
        X