Pocket fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket fabric

What were ladies pockets made out of? Cotton, heavier fabric, solids, prints, etc?

I have 5 yards of solid colors I need to use up and need ideas of things to make.

Thank you.
    Krystin Contant Piston

Re: Pocket fabric

Pockets added to dresses were generally the utility fabric that is used other places in the dress, such as lining, hem facing, & etc. For this reason, brown polished cotton is a popular choice.
    Pockets in sheer fabric dresses were often of the same fabric of the dress to make the pocket less noticeable. White underpinnings fabric is another choice for pockets in sheer fabric dresses... it "blends" with the petticoats this way.

Pockets worn suspended from the waist a la 18th cent. style are generally from a sturdy utility fabric designed to take use and abuse. Light cotton canvas, linen canvas, and ticking are popular choices.

This is just what I've seen... others might have a different experience.
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

While it seems to be more common for todays CW reenactor ladies to use the "pockets worn suspended from the waist a la 18th cent. style" it is MY belief that this was much LESS common for the original CW cast. Pockets sewn into skirts are seen on numerous surviving original dresses. This is possibly due to the difference in dress construction from 18th cent. to 1860's.
      Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
      John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Thank you for the info ladies!
        Krystin Contant Piston

Comment

Working...
        X