Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Hats of the 1860's?

Folks,

Curious what features one would expect to see in a gentleman's top-hat of the 1860's and how that might differ from those of the 1840's or (more importantly) 1850's.

Another way to rephrase the same question would be to ask about the top-hat a "dapper dude" would be wearing in the early 1860's -versus- a feller that might not be up on the latest fashions*.

*whether due to class, rural -v- urban, etc.

For full-disclosure in my attempts to "walk the talk" as a mod:
    I searched on "top hat", "top", "top+hat" to no avail. Got a couple hits on "tophat".

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Top Hats of the 1860's?

John,

There's not alot of information on Bender's site, but he does show two styles with different bands and shapes, one of which is earlier and one which is 1860s. Hope this helps.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
      Curious what features one would expect to see in a gentleman's top-hat of the 1860's and how that might differ from those of the 1840's or (more importantly) 1850's.
      I am in no way an authority on hats. I have read something intersting though recently. Please forgive me as I dont have the source. It said tophats prior to and up to 1850 or so were primarily made from Beaver Pelts. Silk became popular after this time as Beaver neared extinction in Europe. The beaver became extinct in Great Britain in the sixteenth century. Trapping here in North America in the 19th century also severely limited the population in some areas. So there were many tophats made from Silk and other materials after this time. My guess would be that Beaver would be more valuable and not as readily available for the more common man. Just a hunch though. Hopefully this info will at least lead you in the right direction. :)
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

John,
        I would suggest searching the collections of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's always helped me when I'm looking for little details to improve earlier era civilian clothing I'm working on, large clear photos, etc.

We're sorry, but the page you were trying to access is not available or has moved. What to Do Next? Check the spelling and retype the webpage address. Use Search to find what you are looking for.

Here's a search on them: http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_ar...1=0&dd2=0&vw=1

Good luck,
        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
        Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Great link Cody, thanks for posting it. Did a search on sack coats, . . no joy, but I did get a hit on a nice 1840's black wool frock coat.
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

These are my own personal observations on 1850s top hats... either from photos or ones that I own

-ribbon/band on outside is quite narrow, around a 1/4"
            -the sweat-band on the inside is generally about 2" or more
            -the lining is made from thin paper and not fabric
            -black is the predominate color, but if you look at 1840s and 1850s fashion plates, you will see cream/white, black, and brown top hats. I have only come across black and cream/white in person though. (I have not seen many period photos of men in these white/cream top hats. I have run across a few in museum collections and the date of these lighter colored top hats usually is in the range of 1830-1850, so it is my guess that they fell from fashion, but again, only my guess)

Again, these are only my personal observations
            Respectfully,
            -Kyle M. Stetz
            Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

The only dramatic differences (style wise) that I've noticed when examining original 1860s top hats compared to originals from the 1840s-1850s is that the crown is often slightly lower, between 6.5"-7" in height, as opposed to 7"-8.5" for the 1840s-1850s, and the brim is also slightly narrower, between 2"-2.5" compared to 2.5"-3.5" for the 1840s-1850s. Construction and materials aren't really that different. Silk Plush is the most common material used on top hats of the 1840s-1900s. Even the originals that Kyle pointed out made from cream/white, brown, fawn, etc. would have been more commonly made from silk plush. The silk wasn't more expensive than genuine beaver, quite the opposite. Now days though, silk plush or hatter's plush is nearly impossible to get, it hasn't been manufactured since the 1980s. Small vintage pieces of the material surface every now and then, but they can cost quite a bit. Most of us are stuck with fur felt replicas made by various vendors.

Edited to add: It should be noted also that brim curling on top hats of the 1840s-1860s, in general, is very minimal to none. Wild brim curling is found on post 1860s examples or sometimes 1820s-1830s originals.
              Last edited by Ian McWherter; 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM.
              Ian McWherter

"With documentation you are wearing History, without it, it's just another costume."-David W. Rickman

Comment

Ian, I have the above hat. In reference to your previous post on brim curling, Would you recommend that this brim be flattened?
                Thanks.
                Den Bolda
                5th Minnesota Inf. Co D

Comment

I'm going to resurrect this topic, because I am now doing a civilian impression and am looking for a good 1860s top hat. Since Tim Bender at TP&H Enterprises has retired, all I am finding are wool felt top hats with curled brims of a later period.

I am attaching some examples of top hats from the 1860s, which pretty much confirms other replies.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	p1999.01.56.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	225569

Name:	p2000.21.069.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	225570

Name:	p2004.39.40.jpg
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	225571

Name:	p2004.39.47.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	225572

- - - Updated - - -

Cody,
                  Are you making them by any chance?

Originally posted by ohpkirk View Post
                  John,
                  I would suggest searching the collections of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's always helped me when I'm looking for little details to improve earlier era civilian clothing I'm working on, large clear photos, etc.

We're sorry, but the page you were trying to access is not available or has moved. What to Do Next? Check the spelling and retype the webpage address. Use Search to find what you are looking for.

Here's a search on them: http://www.metmuseum.org/works_of_ar...1=0&dd2=0&vw=1

Good luck,
                  Last edited by ScottCross; 08-15-2018, 11:29 AM. Reason: Additional images
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Scott,
                    The hat in the first image that you show reminds me of a "round hat" from the first quarter of the 19th Century. I've seen some examples of those from Beaver with a shaggy appearance like that.

Do you have any background on that photo?
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                      Scott,
                      The hat in the first image that you show reminds me of a "round hat" from the first quarter of the 19th Century. I've seen some examples of those from Beaver with a shaggy appearance like that.

Do you have any background on that photo?
                      I was thinking the same thing about that hat. It looks similar to the "Round Hat" Cody Mobley made for me a few years ago.
                      Yes, interesting story on this gentleman. The image was taken just before he formed a company in 1863.
                      Scott Cross
                      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Mr Franks makes a wool felt, but with a flattened brim: https://cockedhats.com/products/abe-lincoln-hat
                        If someone were to take the trouble to explain to Mr. Franks that our favorite reproductionist has retired and offer to help him tweak his current models to our specifications, he would probably step in to fill the void. He does have a few pelt covered in earlier styles.
                        -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Working...
                        X