Childrens clothing patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens clothing patterns

My wife is interested in taking on the task of making clothing for our Granddaughters to wear at some local living history events. I'm looking for a source for authentic patterns for dresses for girls ages 10 to 14. Any recommendations?
    Ron Moen
    Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
    CWPT
    E Clampus Vitus

Re: Childrens clothing patterns

Historic Moments are the most reputable in the business. They're found here: http://www.thesewingacademy.com/the-...-publications/

You might like to take a surf through Miz Liz's advice section while you're there for articles on the layers of girls' attire, helping teen girls with their wardrobe choices, how to include young ladies at events safely, meeting their needs in an historic manner, and other good advice.

PS- Historic Moments is the brand name for Elizabeth Stewart Clark's publications
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Ron, try asking Winstontown the next time your both at the same event (Moorpark?).
      Andrew Grim
      The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
      x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
      Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
      Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Elaine,

Thanks for the link to Historic Moments, my wife will learn alot from it.

Brother Andy,

I'll be at Moorpark, and will be sure to stop by the Winstontown encampment for advice. Satisfactory!
        Ron Moen
        Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
        CWPT
        E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Ron, Elizabeth's patterns are fabulous and you will be well pleased.

One of the hardest things to compensate for in dealing with correctly dressing a young teen girl is the changes in body development brought about by higher nutritional standards.

Back Button Dresses of the period were an important social signal---that this is a 'CHILD'. Today, as girls develop earlier,
          it's even more important that we maintain that social signal ---even if that girl looks much older physically, maintaining her in a girl's clothing does much to ward off attention inappropriate to the actual age of the girl.

The ladies of Winstontown can aid you with corded stays and other construction needs unique to this age group.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

May I heartily ditto Mrs Lawson's suggestion to dress your granddaughter in the lovely styles appropriate to teenage girls? From my experience the last ten or twelve years, the teens who dress in teen-specific styles (back-buttons, short sleeve options, open neckline options, shorter hems) enjoy it so well, they're loathe to give it up at 18-19! This seems to apply regardless of their physical development, and I know more than one who has been spared awkward situations because her clothing gives an "I'm a young girl" cue for nice men to behave appropriately. :) She'll still need supportive stays/corsetry as her figure warrants, and can definitely wear hoops, and even nice party dresses and dancing dresses as she attends public social functions with family, so she'll not miss out on anything stylish, but can always stay historically accurate to her age, and very comfortable.
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Working...
            X