Freshwater Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater Fishing

I am on a search for information on freshwater fishing in the south between 1850-1870. I have so far came up pretty empty handed, I have found patents for rod and reels for the period but they are all very heavy reels for saltwater fishing.

My question is would a basic pole be most common for freshwater fishing or would you use just a line? What type of woods would be used for poles? And what sort of line would be used?

Any paintings, sketches, pictures, or resources you might have would be appreciated.
    -Brandon Hand
    48th NY Co. F
    Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Re: Freshwater Fishing

PM Hank Trent. I've actually seen him "period" fishing at events.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Historical Angling Enterprises http://www.historicanglingenterprises.com/ has gear that predates the Civil War, but would certainly be appropriate for the time period.
      Lewis M Robinson Jr
      Armory Guards
      Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
        PM Hank Trent. I've actually seen him "period" fishing at events.
        The only research I have is on upscale fishing for trout. No idea whether that's of any interest, in the very broad category of freshwater fishing in the south, which could include anything from jugging for cats to the latest fly fishing equipment. Any chance of narrowing it down? Otherwise, you could start with a search like this:

Hank Trent
        hanktrent@gmail.com
        Hank Trent

Comment

Brandon, when I was doing mid 19th c. living history at an ag museum/living history farm, all evidence I saw pointed to the ubiquitous cane pole. I suppose with modern impoundments, etc. it might be hard to secure river cane (as we used to call it growing up in the South), but it was cheap, readily available for the taking, etc. I know of at least one 18th c. sutler offering handforged fishing hooks for the "Trekker" crowd. (Blue Heron Mercantile).

HTH, YMMV, FWIW,
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I appriciate the help. I am looking more towards the panfish side of things. I have found that silk line would have been the most common, and have found that it is available through highend fly fishing suppliers. Code Mobely also sells eyeless hooks.
            -Brandon Hand
            48th NY Co. F
            Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Here you go Brandon:

Check out the George Washington fishing kit.
              Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
              Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
              Former Mudsill
              Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

This is an excellent living history blog with information on period fishing: http://www.jimsfortheloveofhistory.blogspot.com/
                [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
                [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
                Independent Volunteers
                [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Working...
                X