recreating cloth shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recreating cloth shoes

This past weekend I attended a workshop conducted by Cody Mobley on making cloth shoes based on "Every Lady Her Own Shoemaker." We made side lacing ladies' shoes and a gentleman in attendance made a pair of slippers. It was wonderful. My fingers still hurt, but it was a great experience. Cody sized the patterns and made the soles for us before the workshop. The shoes are so comfortable and fit like a glove.

Here is a link to some of the photos from the workshop http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/y...Codys%20shoes/

As an aside, Cody is available to make cloth shoes for anyone interested. He can be reached at companytailor@gmail.com.
    Annette Bethke
    Austin TX
    Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
    [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Re: recreating cloth shoes

Wow, thanks for sharing the photos, Annette! Those shoes are wonderful. Now all the rest of us are envious of your lovely feet!

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

I have shoe envy!! They turned out beautiful. Now that would be a great workshop. :)
      Susan Armstrong

Comment

Ma'am, thanks for sharing.., here is an image you may have seen before but do notice the gentleman
        sitting on the box..., some nice slippers, yes.

Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

OMG! How cool. I'll need to pass this on to the gentleman who made the slippers.
          Annette Bethke
          Austin TX
          Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
          [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

I also find the false boots in the image of interest. I've often wondered just how common they were.
            Robert Collett
            8th FL / 13th IN
            Armory Guards
            WIG

Comment

Nice slippers. Mine turned out very well, thanks Cody! What about the kepi's the two seated guys are wearing? Could they be a zouave style?

Regards,
              Garrett Glover
              Garrett Glover

Comment

Kaelin Vernon is also making shoes during his spare time. I sent him photos of every single documented Confederate (Eastern theater) shoe at the Museum of the Confederacy. The pair he wanted to reproduced were the John Jones Shoes (I believe). From my notes:

• 0985.13.493 – John Jones shoes
                Shoes made in Buchanan, Virginia by Culpepper, Virginia contractor, John Jones, for the Confederate government. Wooden soles with black leather toe caps and reinforced heel cuffs (hand stitched). Two-piece canvas body and a double row of stitching. Opening has been edged with ¼ inch wide black painted canvas trim. Three punched eyelets have not been visibly stitched.
                Length: 10 ½ inches Width: 3 ½ inches
                Jason C. Spellman
                Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Working...
                X