Heirloom Pears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heirloom Pears

As the subject line says, I would like some input on heirloom pears. While I worked on a 19th c. farm in the past, none of the trees in our orchard were pear trees, nor was that my "area" at work, much less expertise.

Our house/property, and that of my extended family, lies upon the remnants of a late 19th c. farm here in south-central Cain-tuh-Kee. My sis-in-law has what is left of the farm's apple orchard in the form of one apple tree, and we have the remains of the pear orchard in the form of two heirloom pear trees. Now, I know little to nothing about pears. When I was a kid, we bought a farm in '69 that two old, huge pear trees on it, my dad estimated that they were at least 100 years old as the trunks were enormous, and the fruit (it only bore every other year) was like ambrosia:soft, sweet, and delicious. The pears that our trees bear is hard and to be honest, not very tasty. (Perhaps they need aging in a dark place.)

Anyway, do any of y'all have any suggestions as to how I might get these trees identified? Should I contact the ag department of a state university and send them an example of the fruit and a cutting with leaves? I'm not really sure on how to proceed here, and would appreciate your input.

Thanks!
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Heirloom Pears

Look for your county extension service office. There's usually a day when the extension agent is in, and s/he can look at the fruit and probably identify it or would know who can. Here;s your state clickable list:
    Becky Morgan

Comment

Re: Heirloom Pears

Thanks Becky!
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Working...
      X