Pucker up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pucker up?

By precisely following the sewing instructions for the Homespun Pattern Civilian Shirt, a pucker is created at the bottom of the placket and extends downward. The period photos I've seen don't support this result. Is this correct, a pattern problem or am I jus missin' sumpin?
    Jack Booda

Re: Pucker up?

Mr. Booda,

I am not sure what you mean by "pucker," but the General Weisenger (did I spell that right?) shirt has two very small pleats at the bottom of the placket according to "The CS Sketchbook." So if you mean a small pleat or what not, that's at least one example. Hope this at least somewhat helps.

Cheers,
    Adam Cripps
    [COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=4][FONT=Book Antiqua]Adam Cripps[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks Adam,

I guess you could call it a pleat, I usually associate the word pleat with a nicely pressed fold that looks like it was planned. The Homespun pattern instructs you to sew the edges and then pull one side over top the other by an inch, which gives you a gathered look, like you would see on a ladies skirt. Looks like crap to me, :confused_ and just wanted to check with others.
      Jack Booda

Comment

Jack,

This is not necessarily uncommon in period shirts. It originates from earlier shirts that had no placket. They, like a US issue shirt, just had a neck slit that was then folded over and sewn. I have seen this even on later shirts with a placket; however, it does not seem as common as a flat (for lack of a better word) front. You should be able to make the shirt w/o the gathers, although I am not familiar with the pattern the extra material is usually caused by having too large of a seam on the shirt front and placket. Does that make any sense? The front of the shirt before adding the placket looks like an upside down T. If the arms of the T are too long there will be gathers on the placket.

Hope this helps and is coherent

PS, Adam, you are exactly right. The General Weisenger [SIC?] shirt is an example of having the arms of that T longer rather than shorter. It is in both Echoes of Glory and the Confederate Sketch Book.
        Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
        Andrew Dangel,

Comment

I have never heard of the Confederate Sketch Book, would you please explain more about this book. Many thanks for your time.
          Mfr,
          Judith Peebles
          Mfr,
          Judith Peebles.
          No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
          [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Here is what my copy says:

"A Confederate Sketchbook, a collection of notes and observations on Confederate uniforms and accoutrements for the military collector and enthusiast." By Michael R. Thomas. Copyright 1980. My copy is from the 2nd printing in 1981. It is a book with sketches and notes on different uniform and gear pieces in the MOC. Supposedly it was out of print (or that was what I was told by some pards a long time back), but my friend and I found a copy at a farbfest for $4. Needless to say, we picked it up. I almost didn't notice it amongst all the other books there till my pard pointed it out to me.

Hope this helps,
            Adam Cripps

Originally posted by Drygoods
            I have never heard of the Confederate Sketch Book, would you please explain more about this book. Many thanks for your time.
            Mfr,
            Judith Peebles
            [COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=4][FONT=Book Antiqua]Adam Cripps[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X