Merino Drawers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merino Drawers?

I know newspapers and advertisements during the war referenced merino drawers and undershirts, but what exactly did they mean by that? Did they simply mean drawers made from merino wool? Would they have been jersey knit or woven? 100% wool, or a wool and cotton blend?
    Michael Denisovich

Bookkeeper, Indian agent, ethnologist, and clerk out in the Territory
    Museum administrator in New Mexico

Originally posted by NMVolunteer View Post
    I know newspapers and advertisements during the war referenced merino drawers and undershirts, but what exactly did they mean by that? Did they simply mean drawers made from merino wool? Would they have been jersey knit or woven? 100% wool, or a wool and cotton blend?
    Interesting question. For what it's worth, both US army contracts and the annual General Orders noting clothing prices distinguish between "flannel" and "knit" drawers and shirts when both were offered. Before that "flannel shirts" were specified in the General Orders, but drawers were simply drawers. I lean toward assuming cloth unless "knit" was specified.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Merino wool was pretty new still and only introduced to North American around 1800. If unspecified, I'd lean toward woven Merino.

William Robbins

Comment

Working...
      X