Paying for a Substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for a Substitute

I’ve seen the sites for researching your Civil War Soldier. Is there a way to research to see if your Relative “bought his way out” and paid for a “Substitute” to go in to The Army instead? (“Family Tradition” says that “WE” bought our way out of The Civil War. Would be interesting to confirm that!)
    Kevin Spangler

Re: Paying for a Substitute

This is what information that I found in our local newspaper of the time. This is a pretty interesting read about substitutes and men getting out of military service. The newspapers, I found to be a great resource as those who were drafted were printed in the paper and later their substitutes were printed as their replacements.

Waynesboro Village Record: March 06, 1863

“Only Poor Men To Be Drafted”

Summary: Countering “tory” allegations that the Union army is only drafting poor men, the piece argues that the conscription policy, which sets the limit for substitution at $300, “is actually for the benefit of the poorer classes.”

“Only Poor Men to be Drafted..”–The frequent allegations of the tory press throughout Pennsylvania, whose positions upon the question of Union or Disunion are perhaps not yet fully determined, that the conscription law compels only poor men to enter the army are ridiculous. It will be seen by reading the clause in relation to substitutes, that the fine provided for exemption is not fixed at any particular sum, but shall not exceed three hundred dollars. The drafted man is allowed to procure his own substitute, at any price he may agree upon, or, if he prefers, the Government will provide one for him at a price not exceeding $300. Did not the law contain this limitation, the price of substitutes would in all probability range much higher than that sum. The rich, being able to pay, would bid high, while the poor would be unable to pay the price to which over-bidding would raise the substitute market. Thus, instead of being an oppressive provision, the $300 restriction is actually for the benefit of the poorer classes. The provision under which the Government undertakes to furnish substitutes for a sum not to exceed $300, is in fact one of the best features of the bill.

Valley Spirit November 26, 1862

Waynesboro

Summary: Waynesboro, list of substitutes and draftees: James Ageu for Lewis H. Morrison; John D. Nead for Henry Stover; Peter McFerren for Frederick Tritle; John Bonner for Jacob H. Forney; Alex D. Morganthall for Charles A. Binkley.

John Miller, Operations Director Monterey Pass Battlefield Park
    John A. Miller, Director
    Monterey Pass Battlefield Park

Comment

My gg grandfather was called up in the first draft (August 1862) and placed in a Drafted Regiment (a practice which was later discontinued). It makes for interesting reading in the classified section any period paper of the era. You will see notices by private citizens and even brokers seeking substitutes. Some of these men were wealthy business men and offered quite generous compensation to any man willing to take their place. One I recall even guaranteed to take care of the wife and children of any man who would take his place and subsequently died in the service.
      Ryan Thornton

Comment

An article about draft and substitute records in the National Archives:

Winter 1994, Vol. 26, No. 4 | Genealogy Notes By Michael T. Meier Grover Cleveland, urbane, sometimes wise, and a future President of the United States, never served in the military during the Civil War. He was healthy, of the appropriate age, and educated. His Buffalo, New York, law practice provided him a comfortable living. George Templeton Strong, urbane, sometimes wise, and always opinionated, never served in the Union army. He, too, was healthy, of the appropriate age, and educated. His New York City law practice provided him a comfortable income. John D.
        Will Hickox

Comment

Thanks for the replys. Some interesting answers here for me to think about and work with
          Kevin Spangler

Comment

Working...
          X