Making Rose Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Rose Water

My roses are blooming and I would like to make a batch of rose water. Any suggestions?
    Barry Bowden

Re: Making Rose Water

Though I do not have any period accounts on how to create rose water, I was able to find a website that seems to have a recipe that may help you.

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/293

I'm sure there are those out there who are more knowledgeable than I on this subject, hopefully they will chime in
    Last edited by DixieLand1859; 05-13-2004, 01:19 AM.
    Dan Foster

Comment

Re: Making Rose Water

Originally posted by DixieLand1859
      Though I do not have any period accounts on how to create rose water, I was able to find a website that seems to have a recipe that may help you.

I'm sure there are those out there who are more knowledgeable than I on this subject, hopefully they will chime in
      I checked out some perfumery books and found some period rosewater recipes.

From _The Toilet in Ancient and Modern Times_ by Arnold J. Cooley (1866): "From the 'fresh petals' of the 'hundred-leaved [petals] or cabbage rose', 10 pounds; otto [rose essential oil] 40 drops.
      The ordinary 'best rose-water' of the shops, particularly of the wholesale druggists, who do largely in the article, is generally made as follows: - Take of
      'Otto of rose' ...... 3 drachms [a drachm is 1/8 of an ounce]
      'Rectified spirit [high proof alcohol, like Everclear or grain alcohol] ..... 1 pint
      dissolve, throw the solution into a 12 gallon carboy,, and add of
      'pure distilled water (hot, say at 180 to 185 degrees Fahr.) .... 10 gallons;
      at once cork the carboy (at first loosely), and agitate the whole briskly (at first cautiously), until quite cold. The product is really excellent, answers well as a vehicle and keeps well. It is superior to much of the trash carelessly distilled from a scanty quantity of rose-leaves, and sold as 'rose-water.' "

I have other period large quantity receipes for rose-water but they are very similar to the ones above.

One thing to be cautious of, is after making the rose water in the manner described on the webpage, sometimes the finished rosewater will sour or mold. Using high proof alcolol will help prevent this. Also, the otto of rose needed in the two above recipes, is expensive; for a good quality otto of rose may cost $300/1/2 ounce. If you find an inexpensive version, it is probably synthetic or cut with a fixed oil such as sweet almond oil.

I owned a mail order herb and potpourri business for 15 years and found it much easier to purchase rosewater ready made and never had any problems with it. Those of my customers that grew large amounts of roses, purchased their rose water and used the petals for other projects.
      Virginia Mescher
      vmescher@vt.edu
      http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

Working...
      X