Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dresses for little boys

Good morning,

We have a 5 years old little boy and a 2 years old girl.
    They goes on field with us since they born but, probably for a little laziness, their clothing was mostly on the farb side. But now, we wanted to improve their impression.
    Our biggest problem is with the boy : I had often read that until 5 to 6 years, boys must wear dress exactly like girls.
    I am absolutely certain that our boy doesn’t want to wore a dress !!! And to oblige it to «*be disguised like a girl*» will totally disgust him of reenactment !

How do you resolve yourself that problem ?
    Is it exact that rural and non wealthy family may «*breech*» their sons earlier ? Is it appropriate for a 5 or 6 years old boy ?
    Where can we find trousers, coats and shirts patterns, not too fancy, for 6 until 8 years old boys ?

Thanks for your help in that difficult question !
    [I]Gettysburg 1993
    Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Re: Dresses for little boys

Greetings,

The short answer to your question is, "It all depends." Correct me if I'm wrong but putting young boys in dresses tended to be a rather "upper class" thing. Either look through books of period photography or do a search through eBay (use key words like "dag," "ambro," or "cdv"). Here's a nice image to get you started:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by jma
      Our biggest problem is with the boy : I had often read that until 5 to 6 years, boys must wear dress exactly like girls.
      I am absolutely certain that our boy doesn’t want to wore a dress !!! And to oblige it to «*be disguised like a girl*» will totally disgust him of reenactment !

How do you resolve yourself that problem ?
      The dresses are not always "exactly like girls" so there is no "disguising" going on. For one example of a boys dress look at this page. My wife has made boys dresses for some friends using a pattern by Karen Crocker and they looked very nice. They will always look somewhat girlish to the modern eye but that's not the point.

As for the question of how to get your son to do whatever you determine to be correct, that's an issue about education and parental control. But I would definitely not approach it as "we're going to disguise you as a girl". Talk about being correct, and how he will have braggin' rights over all the other boys who might make fun of him in their ignorance. Show him pictures of boys from the period wearing their correct clothing. Talk about the fact that in another year or two he can move to new outfits. Show him pictures of kilts. (and as an aside, men wearing kilts was almost gone by mid 19th century. The kilt revival started with Queen Victoria's Scottish Fascination, and then others copied by putting their children in kilts as well.) It's all in the way you approach it, but education and attitude is key.

Also, in general, it is often the father who is much more worried about it than the child. "NO ONE is going to dress my kid up like a sissy" sums it up pretty well, and that's a common attitude. Not suggesting that you feel that way, but examine your own feelings and make sure that there is nothing there clouding the issue. If you decide to dress your son correctly then he needs to know (and sense) that you are in complete support.

And, if he's 5 now, it won't be very long until he can be out of dresses, so if all else fails, just wait a year!
      Bruce Hoover
      Palmetto Living History Assoc.

Comment

Thank you for the nice CDV and also you Mr. Hoover for the wonderful site and all your suggestions !

«*Correct me if I'm wrong but putting young boys in dresses tended to be a rather "upper class" thing.*»
        It is what I wanted to say. All those things for boys look a little expensive and fancy. Not appropriate for a daily rural life. Exactly like fine woolen frock coat and so on for men. Am I right or wrong ?
        Look at that famous picture below and how the boys are dressed. The boys are older than 5 or 6 but it is in that way I wanted to dress my children.

«*if he's 5 now, it won't be very long until he can be out of dresses*»
        Yes, he is 5 and in fact, he probably will be not too far from 6 until we bought patterns and fabrics, sewn all the garments and go on field with the new stuff. It is for that reason I asked for 6 to 8 years old patterns.

Can you recommend me some good patterns makers for this impression, please ?
        Attached Files
        [I]Gettysburg 1993

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Well, how about some pleasant news?

Boys are generally kept in skirts and petticoats until they are firmly toilet-trained. After that, trouser options open up.

As your boy is 5, he's past toilet training and may be accurately dressed in long or short trousers. The upper portions of his garments may be shirts and coats, or may be tunic-like garments (with "skirts" to the mid-hip). Plaids are common, as is the use of quasi-military trimming like braid, buttons, etc.

If he were two, and not to toilet training, I would recommend a frock; if he were three, and barely trained, I'd recommend a frock over trousers. At five, he's more likely to wear trousers full time, with tunics or shirts/coats.

I'm going to repeat the links above, with commentary on the clothing:

This is a tunic style worn over long trousers, and would suit any boy of upper working, middle, or higher classes. Usually done in wools.

These boys are also wearing tunics or coats over trousers; the younger boy in front appears to wear an embellished tunic belted over a white shirt (seen at collar and lower sleeves); the older boy wears a slim-cut coat over his white shirt (collar exposed.)

This style is rather typical for a small boy making the transition from petticoats and diapers to drawers and trousers. Short or long trousers in the same fabric can be added (perhaps with similar trim down the outside seams), worn with the frock as a tunic, and the coat as a finishing touch, or worn with a bodice (most likely white with this combination) and the coat.

Boy's "dresses" need not be feminine; while in infancy, there is little distinction between male and female dresses, by toddlerhood some differences emerge, and the clothing becomes rather tailored and boyish the further on we go.

Long story short: a shirt, a tunic/coat, and trousers (long or short), will be very appropriate and "manly" for a five year old. Add a peaked cap, and he's wonderful.
          Regards,
          Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Thank you very much, Mrs. Clarke for having taking the time to clarify all that.
            It is very kind of you.

We will follow your advice and go for shirt, coat and trouser.

Can you recommend some good patterns, please ?

Trousers, the most important
            Shirts
            Coats
            And peaked caps if possible...
            [I]Gettysburg 1993

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Clothing for little boys

Hi, Jean-Marc,

Elizabeth is probably too modest to say so, but she has developed some of the most well-respected children's patterns available. She also has free patterns for some items. Please see her website for more information. http://www.elizabethstewartclark.com She also is remarkably willing to answer questions and has a forum on her website for all to enjoy.

Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks,

Of course i know that wonderfull website but i don't find children trousers on it...
                [I]Gettysburg 1993

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Please try this link

and check this pattern.
                  HMP-221 Boy's Button Suit

Trousers that button to the shirt are great because they can be made with a little extra room to grow and because they don't need suspenders that always fall off little boys' shoulders.
                  Last edited by KathyBradford; 05-14-2004, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Another option for boy's styles is the Karen Crocker pattern here:

The research is excellent, and the styles are a bit different... she also has the "French Blouse" pattern, which is very nice on small boys. (It's a tunic style) 104 and 107 are great together.

I don't know of any ready-made boy's cap patterns; there are diagrams in A Workwoman's Guide, which can be found through the Old Sturbridge Village bookstore here: http://www.osv.org Workwoman's Guide was published 1838, and the boy's cap styles do not change significantly by the 60s... why change a good thing, after all?
                    Regards,
                    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Thank you Mrs. Clarke for all your kind help.

I think we will find all we need on all that.
                      [I]Gettysburg 1993

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethClark
                        The research is excellent, and the styles are a bit different... she also has the "French Blouse" pattern, which is very nice on small boys. (It's a tunic style) 104 and 107 are great together.
                        This is the pattern that I mentioned earlier. My wife has made outfits from it several times and the results have been very nice. Nothing "sissified" about it at all :-)
                        Bruce Hoover
                        Palmetto Living History Assoc.

Comment

Working...
                        X