Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a beginner reenactor

Hello to everyone out there !!

My name is Anna and im just getting started in reenacting !! I am orignially from Ohio and moved out to Montana a year ago. I guess I don't live in an area geared toward civil war reenacting (there were some battles out this way but very far and few. Most reenacting out there is the late victorian western involving cowboys and indians.) We moved out here and it wasn't until after the fact that that I discovered Civil War reenacting. I LIVED IN OHIO ughhhhh!!

I have had a facination with the civil war for as long as I can remember. My prom gown looked like something out of 1862 lol !! I had a hoop and everything. I love everything about the era, the clothes, the respect people had, the values and morales they held dear to them, the clothes (wink). My family swears that I lived back then and am "missing it now" I would wear clothes like that now if it weren't for the strange looks I would get for doing so. Some things I guess you could get away with doing. I have a cape (not period correct) that I wear alot and constantly get compliments on it. And everyone asks where I got my reticule (I carry one all the time). People love different classy things and enjoy seeing something out the norm. Petticoats are still worn and somewhat in fashion. hmmmmmm

Anyhow I am first of all looking for ANY reenactment groups out west (Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and nearby areas) I am also interested in groups in Ohio as well (I do go back and visit and would love to schedule them around reenactment events).

As far a clothing and gear goes I have none yet, I am working on a pinner apron. I am looking to protray a refugee impression while im in Ohio and perhaps something along the lines of simply moving west to avoid the war while im here (Montana) as that would explain the "accent" everyone tells me that I have (I don't hear it but they do lol) and would make myself a bit more believable. I can sew pretty well and intend on making everything myself. I do some crochet (very basic stitch) and want to learn to knit as well. Im also trying to learn to draft patterns and resize them and also recreate clothes I see in magazines.

Im interested on any information that would help me get started !!

Thank you everyone. Im looking forward to getting to know all of you.
    Anna
    Western Montana
    Anna Kraus
    Western Montana

Re: Hello from a beginner reenactor

Hi Anna,
    Welcome! I'm afraid I can't be of much help in terms of authentic groups in western Montana however if you do get the chance to come a little farther east on occasion there will be more (ie I live in Illinois). Or perhaps someone else will have information about groups nearer to you.

I'm glad you are so enthusiastic about the Civil War and especially/hopefully in portraying it authentically. I would suggest starting to make your basic undergarments right away as they are really the "foundation" to any civilian impression and can be worked on while continuing to develop your sewing skills (what a plus that you are willing and able to sew!). Many of the previous threads here will emphasize their importance as well.

If you have any other basic/beginning questions please feel free to email me off of the board. Also searching previous threads for specific topics is an excellent source of information.

Sincerely,
    Lisa-Marie
    Last edited by cwbelle; 05-18-2004, 01:41 PM. Reason: adding content
    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1]Miss Lisa-Marie Clark[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][I][FONT=Book Antiqua]Long, long years have passed, and though he comes no more,
    Yet my heart will startling beat with each footfall at my door.
    I gaze o'er the hill where he waved his last adieu,
    But no gallant lad I see in his faded coat of blue.[/FONT][/I] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Kraus
      I am also interested in groups in Ohio as well (I do go back and visit and would love to schedule them around reenactment events).
      Can't help with the west, but I'm from Ohio also. If your goal is to be able to live and interact during an event as much as possible like someone in the 1860s, I've personally found that with civilian reenacting, it works better to select by events, rather than groups. There aren't a whole lot of immersion/EBUFU/"hardcore" civilian opportunities in any given year, so a group may decide to go to a wider range of events, some of which may be more what you're looking for than others. Many of the events that offer the most opportunities for accurate civilian portrayals, accept or require individual registration, so being part of a group isn't necessary.

That's the good news, but the bad news is that there's not a lot of opportunity for civilians outside of mainstream-type activities in Ohio that I know of (would love for someone to show me I'm wrong, to save those long drives!). The closest event I've found in the near future, will be Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, Sept. 24-26, in central Kentucky. Here's the military homepage http://www.westernindependentgrays.o...llage_2004.htm but for civilian information and registration, contact Susan Hughes at Shaker Village (a link to the village website is on the above page).

Another, even farther from Ohio, is Burkittsville, Maryland, http://www.burkittsville1862.com/

You'd need to register for both of these fairly soon, if interested.

Though some civilian EBUFU-type events have camping written into the historic situation and thus everything can continue both day or night without too much suspension of disbelief, these two events have the extra difficulty of portraying citizens who may be living and eating at home or at least in buildings, so the nighttime accomodations and meals may require a bit more imagination. But the village settings are very nice, and in my opinion worth the trade-off.

Some examples of past events with cool civilian opportunities that I've enjoyed were Struggle for Statehood in West Virginia http://struggleforstatehood.homestead.com/Index.html
      Into the Wilderness in Virginia http://itw.homestead.com/index.html
      The Advance Guard in Tennessee http://www.westernindependentgrays.o...guidelines.htm

These kinds of events come around rarely, maybe three or four a year, and are pretty well scattered geographically.

Of course, there are lots and lots of events which have openings for civilians, that have varying degrees of emphasis on historical accuracy. Some are also less focussed on reliving history and more focussed on third-person out-of-context craft or educational demonstrations while wearing period clothes. Lots of reenactors find those kinds of events rewarding as well, they're just not my thing.

I can sew pretty well and intend on making everything myself. I do some crochet (very basic stitch) and want to learn to knit as well. Im also trying to learn to draft patterns and resize them and also recreate clothes I see in magazines.
      Even if you can't go to Burkittsville, the civilian authenticity standards at http://www.burkittsville1862.com/civ.../standards.php are very typical for the more accurate events, so they're good to go by, since if you can meet them, you can probably get into most any event you want to, with adjustments for social class, etc.

By the way, if you're on a trip back east and by some chance would like to try attending Burkittsville or Shaker Village, send me an email, and my wife and I would be glad to help with preparation or during the event if we can.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

There are some mainstream reenactments in Washington that are about 3-4 hours from missoula and I think there are some little things in Virgina city too.

Comment

"Thank you everyone. Im looking forward to getting to know all of you.
          Anna
          Western Montana"

Anna,
          I'm not a moderator but to save them some time...One of the rules of the forum is to sign your full name even if it is your "handle" on the Authentic Campaigner. I hope Elizabeth nor Kathryn feel like I'm going above my head, just trying to save them some time by being helpful. :-)
          Sincerely,
          Emmanuel Dabney
          Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
          http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

No gripes from me, Emmanuel! Yes, we do get persnickety about everyone signing their full name to every post... the User Control Panel has a section for making a customized automatic signature, which pops it in there automatically. Very handy.

Anna, welcome! As I mentioned, we're practically neighbors... and those with a progressive attitude are fairly rare in our part of the world, but they are there!

As Hank mentions, it's not necessary to "fall in" with any particular group as a citizen, most events using individual registration, etc... there's a small umbrella group out here in the PacNW called CHAPS as a nickname, and more formally, the Pacific Northwest Living History Association: http://www.willapabay.org/~chaps/ There is a small and growing contingent of citizens, and we're working on some event options for the upcoming months. One of the big things with the group is mentoring, so you're encouraged to ask for help!

And Lisa-Marie is right on track--there is quite a lot of great info right here on the forums, so either scroll backward, or use the search functions to focus your inquiry, and you'll have a world of knowledge at your fingertips! (And, don't be reluctant to share your own research here... good info with good documentation is welcome, no matter the "vintage" of the poster!)
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Wow thank you everyone for the welcome and great advice. First im sorry about the full name part. I should have known better (actually I was typing in a hurry and simply forgot to include my last name). I set the preferences {At least I hope I did} and that should be fixed. Checked and fixed. whew.

So there are events to don't require you to be a member of the group and you can attend them? That sounds great!! Actually I may give myself till next spring to allow myself to collect and make everything that I would need for events (Tent, clothes (undergarments and dresses), period accessories, outerwear and the like). But I would love to visit and look around to get an idea of everything that I would need and a feel for the atmoshere.

Now what is the difference between Mainstream and Immersion ? Im getting the impression that immersion is where you actually move around and "hide" where Mainstream is "camping out". Is that a correct assumption? Also the terms Mainstream and Progressive kind of got me confused in terms of ones impression.

Thank you Elizabeth for the link. I would have not found that on my own.

Also who offers the most accurate patterns for making dresses and outfits in general? Ive read past patterns mentioned quite a bit.

I forgot that to mention that I also quilt (although i have made two and a half ... i still consider myself a beginner) and would like to know more about what items were used to quilt with. I know a needle and thread but what did they store items in, were hoops used to quilt on.
              Last edited by Anna Kraus; 05-19-2004, 12:26 PM. Reason: addition to post
              Anna Kraus
              Western Montana

Comment

Now what is the difference between Mainstream and Immersion ? Im getting the impression that immersion is where you actually move around and "hide" where Mainstream is "camping out". Is that a correct assumption? Also the terms Mainstream and Progressive kind of got me confused in terms of ones impression.
                I think there's at least one article on the definitions in the FAQs or articles connected with this site, though it tends to approach it from a military point of view. There are a few differences between what civilians and military expect, though a lot is similar.

In theory, an immersion event is one in which everything possible is done by and for the participants, to make it seem like they're living for a couple days at a particular time and place in the 1860s. No modern spectators, no mention of modern things, no hidden modern items (except usually medication), no cameras, and ideally no modern things in the environment except the inevitable airplanes, starlings, multi-flora rose or whatever. Everything proceeds in real time (no stop-and-start scenarios with breaks in between) and for civilians, usually consequences carry through to the end of the event. For the military, the dead and wounded are often quickly resurrected or reincarnated as someone else. There's generally no schedule and very little if anything pre-planned, except for situations that will hopefully lead to something interesting (like putting a runaway slave, an abolitionist family and a slave-hunter in the same area).

The time, place and situation that's chosen could be anything, though for practical reasons, it's easier to select the situation to fit an available site such as woods or fields, rather than to reconstruct a city street, for example.

You'll hear the term "semi-immersion" used when there's some deliberate inclusion of the modern world, such as spectator tours.

The goal of "immersion" is achieved with varying degrees of success, but usually the downfall is participants who sneak in modern things (cell phones, cameras) despite a pre-event inspection, or who talk about modern subjects without enough peer pressure to stop them. However, the emphasis is on recreating the totality of period life as realistically as possible, with exceptions for safety.

"Mainstream" is a catch-all term for the most common civilian (and military) event. In general, civilians camp in tents, attend lectures, do craft demonstrations, shop, watch the scheduled battle, attend the ball, talk about modern things, and can bring whatever things they want, such as coolers, sleeping bags, etc., as long as they keep them hidden when spectators are present. There's often a schedule of different activities for different times. The emphasis is on pursuing the hobby of "reenacting," and doing what's typical of reenactments.

As an example, here are two events, held just a few miles away from each other and a week apart, both based on the same historic event (General Jenkins' 1863 raid into West Virginia).

The mainstream one advertized this:

March 26, 27, 28
                Civil War Reenactment Weekend
                Held at Valley Park, Hurricane. Re-enactors will commemorate the skirmish at Hurricane Bridge and the Scary Creek skirmish. Crafts, Sutlers, Storytelling, Night firing, Parade Drills, Ladies Tea, Historical Lantern Tour and Military Dance
                The immersion one advertized this:

1863 Civil War Immersion Event
                March 19-21
                The aim of the event is to enable military and civilian participants to experience the real life of their period counterparts, not knowing what will happen tomorrow. The unscripted nature of the overall event means that military-military and military-civilian interaction will be largely unscripted and unpredictable, requiring all participants to think on their feet and react in character as events naturally unfold... The Union will portray a detached party from Co. E 13th WV Inf. that is out looking for a deserter (Samuel Stineman -- age 16, drummer boy from Pennsylvania, enlisted Charleston deserted March 10, 1863)., while the Confederates will be stragglers from Co. E 8th VA Cavalry who have fallen behind with a wounded comrade and are trying to catch up to their company.... The Confederates will still forage for the chickens and fruits and vegetables, while the Union although well supplied with food may see the young pig and fresh (from the cellar) fruits and vegetables equally tempting. Each side will be supplied with a slaughter/butcherer who knows what he's doing to keep this as humane and sanitary as possible, while still keeping it accurate to period army life.
                And then there are also events which are hybrid examples of both, where different people are pursuing different goals and experiences at the same event. It works with varying degrees of success.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

Going to try this again (stupid computer and internet connection)

Also who offers the most accurate patterns for making dresses and outfits in general? Ive read past patterns mentioned quite a bit.
                  Steer clear of Period Impressions--more often than not they are very poorly drafted. I've had tons of fun trying to make pieces fit together

I've heard so many horror stories about Heidi Marsh patterns that I've never bothered with them
                  Kimberly Schwatka
                  Independent Mess

Comment

I've tried a couple Heide Marsh patterns and they do require a bit of adjusting and puzzling over, though I found them still manageable... however I'm sure specific patterns are much harder than others. Past Patterns seems to include fairly complete sewing instructions and I haven't had any problems with the ones I've used so far.

Good luck!
                    [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1]Miss Lisa-Marie Clark[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
                    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][I][FONT=Book Antiqua]Long, long years have passed, and though he comes no more,
                    Yet my heart will startling beat with each footfall at my door.
                    I gaze o'er the hill where he waved his last adieu,
                    But no gallant lad I see in his faded coat of blue.[/FONT][/I] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Comment

Greetings,

Thank you to Hank and Elizabeth for the information about the 'immersion' events. Those are just the sort of event that I wish for. I find the more authentic, the better the experience. For many years I found it rough as few other folks in my area were interested in authenticity. Thanks a million for the link to CHAPS.
                      my area= northern CA - behind the redwood curtain - PacNor West - State of Jefferson.

Mfr,
                      Judith Peebles
                      Mfr,
                      Judith Peebles.
                      No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
                      [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X