Bleeding Kansas Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bleeding Kansas Event

I would definitely come to Order #11 and would be looking for the same things that Hank listed in his post.

As a Missourian who interprets Missouri history for a living, a common question when dealing with material artifacts is "is it real?" By that, the visitor means is it the real McCoy and not some copy, reproduction or an item from a different period and context being used to fill a gap or void in a collection. That would be the effect I would be seeking at this event - is it real, does it feel like the time period, can I lose myself in the moment and walk away with a better understanding of what it was really like during that period? It would fulfill me personally and also make my public education efforts dealing with the period much more effective.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

a funny

"The only way we will ever be able to pull off a sizeable authentic event is by getting people to cross the river."

Good luck with that Frank.

Sounds like the feet are already voting.
      Sorry, maybe this reply is more suited for the Sinks or even OTB.

I'd just like for some folks to meet Dave B. in all his border glory. I can pretty guarantee THAT doesn't happen several events a year.

Here be dragons,
      John Pillers
      John Pillers
      Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Re: how come we didn't sign up

How come we didn't sign up.....

Sister and I talked about this event a good bit, as to whether we could manage the trip, what with her Papa being ill. I signed for the yahoo group, printed off the file stuff, and we read it aloud. It was really good information and I appreciated the effort put into building the files. I signed up for the Lawrence newsletter as well, to see what if we could attend the lectures. We'd made some fine reenacting friends who lived in the area, and looked forward to spending some time with them at the site. Dear Husband agreed to arrange his truck driving schedule to transport us and minimal gear along with what whatever paying load he could find.

Bottom line was, the registration deadline came, we realized that it was unlikely that we could go, as Papa needed 24 hour care, and he wasn't taking kindly to strangers.

Its still a fine concept, and we hope you'll go forward with the Order 11 plans.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Re: Bleeding Kansas Event

I was really looking forward to this event, but was a slacker and did not mail my registration in until just before the cancellation was announced.

I visited with Dave Bears while at Spotsylvania a few weeks back, and we spoke about how fun this event was going to be. I mailed in my registration when I got back in town, but alas, I read of the cancellation a few days later.

My procrastination made things more difficult for the organizers, and I won't let that happen again, should another attempt at a citizen-driven event, such as Order #11, be made. Sometimes when events are in your own backyard, you kind of take them for granted (I live in the KC area). Order #11 is a fascinating piece of history, and its story worthy of an effort that you are putting forth, and I look forward to participating.

A smaller scale Order #11 event was hosted, for the edification of the public, by the Jackson County (MO) Historical Society at the 1859 jail on the town square in Independence last August. This jail building housed the provost marshal's office during the war years, and was witness to the many atrocities that took place after Gen. Ewing penned his infamous order. Many civilians who could not prove their loyalty to the Union were confined within the massive limestone walls and heavy iron doors of the cells.

Though small in scope, and only a few hours in length, the participants in this little event succeeded in creating a believeable scenario of chaos & martial law for the benefit of the curious & bemused spectators, many unfamiliar w/ this chapter of their region's history. Displaced women, some scared and timid in the presence of surly Federal officers and enrolled militia, others angry and indignant, gathered in the street around the provost marshal's office at the jail. Officers present were questioning citizens, and administering oaths of allegiance. The marshal's office was littered w/ contraband of war- confiscated civilian firearms, and misc. other personal belongings. I have photos from this event that I will try to scan & post here, in the interest of keeping a buzz going for this event.

The scenario being set forth for the event you are proposing would be much more ambitious than the small one I just described, but shows how well the real life drama that took place lends itself to a myriad of first person interpretations. I agree w/ Mr. Trent's assessment, though, that the very qualities that would encourage him to make the trip to attend, such as total immersement, would discourage others who aren't up for the challenge, either because they don't care to do it, or are intimidated by it. But that's what would make it all the more worthwhile, IMO. I've not yet had the chance a attend a total immersion event, but would welcome the opportunity to do the necessary preparation and research for such an event.

I'll watch w/ keen interest on how details for this possible event transpire in the coming months.

Dan Hadley
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
          X