Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period Wedding Vows

Hello-
    I am searching for references to period wedding vows. I have found plenty of resources for period wedding ceremonies, dress, etc. but am looking at the vows in specific. One website stated that "traditional" vows were used, you know, the ones that still included the word "obey" in them. If there are references to anything other than those being used, I would like to be pointed in that direction. Primary source accounts are preferred, period secondary references are perfectly acceptable and if all else fails, modern websites and/or books that discuss Victorian era wedding vows. Thanks!
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Re: Period Wedding Vows

For the Episcopal Church, have a look at this site:

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/bcp.htm

Scroll down for older versions of the Book of Common Prayer. There is an 1871 version, and a 1792 version. The Form of Solmemnization of Matrimony for 1871 or 1789.

Also has Selections from the Book of Common Prayer for Civil War Soldiers.

and a section on The Book of Common Prayer for the Confederate States of America
    Last edited by JohnTaylorCW; 08-12-2007, 12:00 AM. Reason: Added stuff
    John Taylor

Comment

Thank you for your assistance, John! This was exactly what I was looking for.
      [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Could someone please point out the vows as they are located in the aforementioned links?

Comment

Miss Rose,

As the others have mentioned, your best bet to finding your period wedding vows is to simply look into an old bible. I had a period wedding, actually two of them, and went to the library and looked into their antique book section. There I not only found the vows, but had the good fortune to copy them right from the exact date period book. Generally libraries will not let you borrow the antique books, so a copy is the best you can get. Other sources would be to try antique bookstores. I don't recall our vows having 'obey' but it did have us 'plight our troughs.':D
          Mfr,
          Judith Peebles.
          No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
          [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Comment

Thanks, Judith. These were for an acquaintance who had since married. :-)
            [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by MissAnnaMae View Post
              Thanks, Judith. These were for an acquaintance who had since married. :-)

Well Miss Rose, that answers the questions, speculations, and hopes that
              had my phone ringing the last couple of nights............

Folks are lookin for a party .....:tounge_sm
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

No, it's not for me. :-( Who was it that said, statistically it was more likely that a woman over 40 would get hit by lightning than get married??? Of course, if you'd seen the likes of the guys that pursue me these days, you'd rather I'd get hit by lightning!! hehe
                [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by WoodenNutmeg View Post
                  Could someone please point out the vows as they are located in the aforementioned links?
                  Sorry for the delayed reply, I don't visit the civilian forums as often as I should.

Here's the direct link to the Solemnization of Marriage:

The vows begin on page 2, and continue on to page 3.

Hope that helps.
                  John Taylor

Comment

Miss Rose:

My being a women who did marry after 45 I can assure you there are a few princes among the frogs. Its like rummaging through a rack at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Every once in a while there is a treasure among the rubbish.

Cheers!

Vivian Harrington
                    Vivian Harrington

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
                    --Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
                    A happy life consists in tranquility of mind.
                    --Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

Thanks for the lively analogy, Vivian!!! :-)
                      [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Is the renewal of wedding vows a common occurrence in the Victorian era or is this a modern contrivance? I cannot seem to find any reference in my research. Any information would be appreciated.
                        Lewis M Robinson Jr
                        Armory Guards
                        Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

To current research, the renewal of vows is a practice of modern mind-set. To the 19th cent. mind-set, the vows took fine the first time... no need to renew something that won't loose it's potency... An anniversary supper party is another matter, they included the community more often at those than the 25th and 50th.
                          -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

In April the plantation is highlighting the wedding of the daughter to doctor who was at Ft Fisher. The family was/is Wesleyan methodist my question is there a diferance from 1861 vow and todays vows?

The plantation will be on the NC Historical Sites 150 Civil War activies. I have stuck neck out and rewriting the tours, I am trying to be as close as possible to the true happening of the time. There will a number of school groups. (And I thought this would be a snap) I belive this will be a gret chance to show the kids what truely happen instead of the movie.
                            So all help will be recived with loving arms.
                            Charles
                            Charles Watson
                            Guide/researcher at Bellamy Mansion and Poplar Grove Plantation all ways looking for info

Comment

Working...
                            X