Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perryville on the Farm

Originally posted by Deborah Hyland View Post
    Highlights: watching the the horse races and hearing minstrel music float up the hill, the pie & preservation auction (I'll have to step up my game to beat Miss Judy's fine work), the cordial, having period currency to spend, pooling it to help Miss Nettie win that fine horse she had her heart set on, and the burgoo.

We've never arrived home nearly so rested before.
    I enjoyed both of the auctions so much! Larry did a wonderful job as auctioneer. And got a bite or two of pie from the girls, too.

We're so glad you got to come.
    Emily
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Kind regards,
    Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

I just want to add that I also had a wonderful time. I got my first horse for my 16th birthday and instantly got into bloodlines. I was able to take her back to the likes of Sir Archy, Diomed, and Timoleon though at that time I had no idea that it was thanks to Colonel Bruce. :D Bloodlines became more important to me after I got married and we bred our own mare, our baby sold all the way to British Columbia, where he went on to be a star. Unfortunately we don't have any horses at this time, so obviously we didn't bring one.

Portraying Col and Labelle Combs Bruce was a chance in a lifetime, since he was the one who wrote and published the thoroughbred stud book. The horses we studied for this event were of the same bloodlines I studied years ago, and the ones that made Woodburn's horses great!

The event has made me re-enthusiastic about studying the Kentucky thoroughbred of the CW era, as well as, though to a lesser extent the Kentucky Saddler. In fact, I'm still reading everything I can get my hands on about Woodburn and other great Kentucky thoroughbred farms of the era. :) I'd love to stop back at Keeneland and also the Kentucky Horse Park sometime and study even more in depth, but that's probably not something I'll do anytime soon.

Thanks again to Joni, Chad, Bev and anyone else involved in planning the event, as well as all the participants who worked hard to make it a fun event! I had a great time!

Thanks!

Linda.
      Linda Trent
      [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
      It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Had a good time myself for the time I was there. Wish I could've stayed longer. I think Mr. "Barnhouse" needed a bit of competiton in the poker games.:wink_smil Maybe, next time! Did anyone check his sleeves????:D
        Thanks to Joni, Chad and the others who helped put this together.
        Micah Trent
        Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
        Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

All,
          I just wanted to say Thank You for making On the Farm such a success this year. It was nice to see new faces and spend time with so many old friends. I am posting several images that I received from folks. I have to admit I picked alot of the pictures with the horses. These are just a few and I am hoping they put a bunch more on the website.

Thanks Again!
          Joni House
          Attached Files
          [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joni House[/FONT]

Comment

Re: Perryville on the Farm more pictures

Here are some more pics.
            Attached Files

Comment

Re: Perryville on the Farm more pics

Here is a few more.
              Thanks,
              Joni House
              Attached Files

Comment

Those are great pictures, Joni! I'll try to get some more posted later.
                Last edited by Emily Burns; 06-23-2008, 03:19 PM.
                Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

Photos now loaded!!!

Emily Burns[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                  X