X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Civil War Kansas Event June 25-27

For information about the Kansas 1855-59 event please visit our link

http://www.hometown.aol.com/campjacksonboy/indes.html

Guidelines, directions and registration will be added once we get the chance to finalize everything at our AoTM meeting this weekend.

Just wanted to let everyone know its still on.
    Frank Aufmuth

Frank, you need to sign your full name to each post on the forums - Mike Chapman
    Last edited by dusty27; 01-19-2004, 08:40 PM.
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: Pre-Civil War Kansas Event June 25-27

Your link doesn't open up.
    Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
    PO BOX 4849
    Midlothian, VA 23112
    www.richmonddepot.com
    (804)305-2968

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Depot
      Your link doesn't open up.

Try that.
      Steve Shepherd
      Veritas numquam perit

Comment

Information is coming out soon we are close-awaiting one more piece of information to add before we open the sites and go public.
        The links should work but please wait until we come out with the official announcement. Sorry for the delays but I assure you this event- Its gonna rock!
        Frank Aufmuth
        Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Don't know if this is belongs in this thread, but:

Do you know if the Park Service, I think its State of Kansas, still does reenactments of the Marrais de Cygnes Massacre, or anything along those lines?

Isn't Clinton lake where Mine Creek was staged a few years back?
          Fred Grogan
          Sykes' Regulars

Comment

Originally posted by va-yank
            Don't know if this is belongs in this thread, but:

Do you know if the Park Service, I think its State of Kansas, still does reenactments of the Marrais de Cygnes Massacre, or anything along those lines?

Isn't Clinton lake where Mine Creek was staged a few years back?
            There is a reenactment of the Marias de Cygnes Massacre done annually, I'm not sure who sponsors it.

The old Mine Creek events were held at Malvern Lake. Neither quite qualify for further discussion on the A-C.

Phil Campbell
            Phil Campbell

Comment

Its a loooooong way from Virginia but Ill be there doing wet plate.
              Last edited by ElizabethClark; 05-06-2004, 10:29 AM.

Comment

This event is shaping up to be one of the best this year and it so happens to be in the trans-mississippi. So now we have two of the years best out here, Mansfield and Bleeding Kansas. I know I have talked to guys and groups (and wet plate artists!)as far away as Virginia, Maryland and New York, they are planning to come so the rest of you have no excuse not to! Well other than, 1)Money, 2)Wife and kids 3) death. But couldn't 2and 3 be combined? I don't intend to find out anytime soon!
                Mitchell L Critel
                Wide Awake Groupie
                Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Registration for the Bleeding Kansas event will be opening very soon. Visit the link above for the registration form.

There is also a listserv for this event: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BK1855/ . There are several links to primary source material and useful files located on the YahooGroup.

I hope to see as many of you as possible out here in June.

Phil Campbell
                  Army of the Trans-Mississippi
                  Phil Campbell

Comment

Registration is open for the Bleeding Kansas event. Some very general information on the event and registration forms are at the the link provided by Frank (and corrected by Steve). The clothing guidelines and a good deal of primary sources are located in the "files" and "links" portion of the Yahoo group located at the link that I posted. Specific scenarios, etc. are being discussed in the organizing committee and will be posted (if appropriate) as they are solidified.

Phil Campbell
                    Phil Campbell

Comment

Here's an account from the Lawrence vicinity by Sara Robinson in "Kansas, Its Interior & Exterior Life":
                      -------------------------------------
                      There has been a good deal of cholera a few miles from here, mostly among Missourians. They lived in most abject filth, and drank of the stagnant water in the bed of the Wakarusa, when the water was at the lowest, from ten months' drouth. One instance of sickness seems almost incredible among civilized people, but there is no doubt of its correctness. The father and mother were ill -- very ill. The cabin was very small, untidy, and would of itself almost breed disease. Dr. A. proposed that the children, who were adults, should occupy a tent near by, for their own safety, and yet attend upon the sick. The next morning, what a sight met the kind physician's eyes, as he entered the cabin! One of the parents was lying on the bed, dead; the other was still living, though with little breath left. A little water was standing by the bed; and no one had been in but once since the time of the doctor's leaving the day before. Thus forsaken of their children, they died. Such heartlessness, such barbarity, we can scarcely believe would exist among any people.

6th. -- With a friend, who has been several days with me, I visited one of the early pioneers. She lived three months in a cloth tent, and now resides in a log house, which she renders pleasant, by her tact hiding every rudeness. She talked gayly of their tent life, and we learned much of the roughness of pioneer life at the outset.

We staid so long, that E. was fearful we were lost on the prairie, and was just about setting lights in the windows for our guidance, as we reached home. Getting lost on the prairie in the darkness is an easy matter; and it has happened here, several times, that persons have wandered around nearly all night, trying to find the town, when at no time they were more than half a mile from it.

7th. -- Mr. H. was very ill with an attack of pleurisy. Doctor being absent, I felt anxious, yet did the best I could. A mustard plaster and some simples removed the difficulty of breathing, and he slept quietly. He said he never was as sick before, but I was thinking he imagined himself sicker than he was just before night, and as I was wondering where E. could be, she came in, pale and almost breathless, with just enough left of life to say, "O, that rattlesnake!" I laughed at her at first; but being convinced that seeing a snake of some kind was a reality to her, and not quite liking the idea of their making a home in our neighborhood, we started out with shovel and hatchet for a battle. The spot where she saw him was very easily found, as the pail she had in her hand, while coming up the path from the spring, she set down when she came upon him. She had heard a buzzing noise, like that made by a large grasshopper, for some minutes; but her attention was attracted by a small bird flying backward and forward across the path, and no great height above it, and did not, therefore, perceive the snake until she was within a foot of him. Hastily setting down the pail, as he lay there coiled ready to spring, she took another path to the house. We looked along both paths, above and below, and far out on the hill-side, but found nothing. His fright was undoubtedly equal to hers, not being particularly partial to the cold bath she gave him in getting down her pail so hastily.

9th. -- Leave home early to spend the day with a sick friend; find her quite ill, lying on a straw pallet on the floor. One small window and door, at the other end of the room, afforded all the air there was; and about everything there was a general look of discomfort. Many a person in health has bravely battled with the ills and privations of Kansas life; but when the pulse throbs with fevered heat, and disease is making a wreck of one's self and every energy, the mind turns sadly backward to the pleasant home, and yearns for the kind friends there with an irresistible longing. With baking for the family in the sun's glaring rays, and taking care of the invalid, I was weary, and thankful for our own home-roof, which has more of comfort.

10th. -- Was awakened by a little tree-toad on my pillow this morning. He must have climbed up the low roof of the ell part, and in at the window. I found a mouse in the tub, and a swallow came into the kitchen flapping his wings wildly, and seeming much frightened, as we were at breakfast. I am wondering if all the "four-footed beasts and creeping things " have appointed a place of rendezvous upon our premises; and suggest, laughingly, that "the rattlesnakes will come next." Scarcely had we finished breakfast, before the cry from near the wood-pile was, "Here's a snake!" It measured about eighteen inches in length, was ugly looking, and had four rattles.

The people are talking much of what shall be done in view of the oppression forced upon us. Men armed with guns, revolvers, and bowie-knives, from another state, have carried the elections, driving the actual settlers from the polls with threats of certain death. A memorial, stating these facts, has been sent on to Congress; but no relief comes -- no promise of any. This Legislature soon proposes to hold its session, and enact laws for the people of this territory. They, many of them residents of Missouri, and all of them elected by Missouri votes, ignorant and brutal men, having gained their election at the point of the bowie-knife, intend to enact laws to govern an enlightened and intelligent people. The question is, shall the laws, whatever they may be, be boldly repudiated as no laws for us, the makers being not of us; or shall the matter be delayed until the so-called Legislature meets? A few days will decide the course to be pursued by our people; and whatever is done will be done thoughtfully, and with a view to the greatest and most permanent good of the country.
                      -----------------------------------------

Phil Campbell
                      Phil Campbell

Comment

The orgainizers are starting to panic but I know its that alot of you have put it off. For those of you that are interested the deadline for Bleeding Kansas was two days ago only 15 people have registered. If you are interested please register today. We need to order the foodstuffs and we will need more than 15 people if the town concept and scenarios are to work. The links are posted above.
                        Frank Aufmuth
                        Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Kansas Event June 25-27 Cancelled

"Due to lower than expected registration, the sponsors have cancelled this event. Your registration fees are being returned today. Thank you for your interest."

This pretty much say's it all.
                          Frank Aufmuth
                          Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Working...
                          X