sheer dresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheer dresses

Recently I've noticed a good deal of attention has been put into the wearing of sheer dresses, and I would like to know if people think that this style of dress is most suitable on young women, or something for all ages? I've been searching through CDVs to get an idea of the age of people who wear this popular dress style but it has been rather inconclusive. I like the idea of wearing comfortable clothing but am worried that I might appear as mutton dressed as lamb. I have two originals myself, one made of a border print sheer wool, the other a cotton.

Robin Stokes has some fine examples on her sight, and the women look great, though middle aged. I would like to know if anyone has any diary notes of women who mention this style of dress, and an idea of their age. Please post your thoughts and ideas as I could use some perspective of what you think of them, even if you don't wear them. Many thanks for your time.

Mfr,
    Judith Peebles.
    No Wooden Nutmegs Sold Here.
    [B]Books![B][/B][/B] The Original Search Engine.

Re: sheer dresses

I've not noticed any age restrictions on sheers in period writing or photographs. Those worried about mutton can certainly use a slightly higher half-high lining, and very conservative trims, to reflect an appropriately mature dress style.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Thank you for your reply Mrs. Clark. I'm in the process of making one for my daughter, and have so much leftover that I considered one for myself, with a slight trim of just a waist belt and perhaps a ribbon on the sleeve. Here in CA you don't see many of these style of dresses, I can only recall seeing 2 in a 10 year period. It's one of those things that I think crops up in fashion cycles, like eyelet. I can't explain why everyone is suddenly making eyelet. I confess that after looking at Miss Benneke's site, that petticoat she has got me making two of my own!

I check the CDV ebay pages twice a week to get an idea for things that I'm working on, as it helps to have several original photos as your guide:wink_smil

Lordy, like I need another dress!:(

Today I am finishing up an outfit that I started 10 years ago, but I never wore myself because now I'm too old and have outgrown it. It's a Garibaldi suit with over 100 yards of 1/4 inch velvet ribbon. the blouse, the jacket, and skirt -- all being trimmed with the Grecian key pattern. Believe me, I am so sick and tired of this handwork that I can't wait to see it off of my 'to do' list! It now fits my daughter and is ideal for a young woman.:D
      Mfr,
      Judith Peebles.

Comment

Re: sheer dresses (new source for authentic fabric)!

Ladies --

Please pardon me jumping in here, but your mention of Robin Stokes' sheers couldn't have been more timely, as she has just announced that she is now taking pre-orders for a line of sheer cotton fabrics available for reproduction Civil War-period dresses.

Laurel Scott
        7th MD Co. A
        Last edited by ElizabethClark; 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM. Reason: redirecting directly to vendor resource
        Laurel Scott

"It is history that gives us hope."
        ~ Robert E. Lee

Comment

Can I ask if anyone can give me a little history of sheer dresses. Is this fabric correct for 1840's and 1870's as well?

Thanks,

Chris Fischer
          Fort McKavett State Historic Site
          &
          F-Troop

Comment

Chris, sheer dresses in cotton, wool, and silk show up in the 1840s, 1850s, 1860s, and 1870s, but the styles of motif do change through that time, as do the precise styles of the dresses made from the sheers. This particular fabric might well work for something in the 1840s, but you'd have to investigate the 1870s before committing to it for that use. Sheers tend to be delicate, and don't have a long useful life--a sheer made in the 60s would be unlikely to survive for remaking a decade later.
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

About the same time the Peach Tree Pattern for a Sheer Dress came out, I was visiting a southern Louisiana Sugar Plantation called "LAURA"...BTW a fabulous restored 1800's plantation to visit if you are ever in southeastern LA. I noticed on their brochure that the lady pictured was wearing a sheer dress of the exact same bodice pattern as the Peach Tree Pattern. I believe the photo was ca. late 1850's.

It stands to reason that wearing lighter weight sheerer fabrics in the heavy moist heat of summer could be pretty standard throught out the lower tier of states, no matter North or South.
              Women of any age, who would be out and about in the heat of summer, would no doubt want to be as comfortable as possible; still keeping with decorum.

Vivian Murphy

Comment

Mrs. Murphy,
                Yes, that Peachtree pattern is a beauty. I remember when it came out, I had some cloth that was just about identical to the original pattern, so saved the whole bolt to make a dress with the paper pattern for a shop mannequin.

Oddly enough, I cannot understand why there seems to be a 'craze' for sheer dresses all of a sudden, but I am glad of it because we need more flexibility in our period wardrobes. Myself, it's not my style, but since I had some excess cloth from my daughter's dress, I thought that I might do something useful and more than using the scrapes for sleeves, or tuckers.

Now all I need are a few black lace shawls to be worn over these dresses:wink_smil Hah! like I need another shawl.:D
                Mfr,
                Judith Peebles.

Comment

Perhaps it's because of the Past Pattern sheer dress pattern that came out in the last few months.
                  Annette Bethke
                  Austin TX
                  Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
                  [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Annette Bethke View Post
                    Perhaps it's because of the Past Pattern sheer dress pattern that came out in the last few months.
                    I looked at the site, but didn't see a sheer dress pattern, do you have a photograph or illustration?
                    Mfr,
                    Judith Peebles.

Comment

Whether it be a "craze" or simply through research documentation and patterns have become available as Annette suggests.
                      Many years ago, probably 1994 or 95, I found a wonderful piece of sheer cotton/linen blend and made a summer dress. Although it wasn't half-lined, it was considerably cooler than a regular cotton dress, and I wore it to death. It was a great plaid of pale gray/white with red/yellow lined plaid. It just seemed to make sense to me that softer more sheer fabric would be used in the heat of summer. The dress had very full gathered sleeves with a small cuff, and when relaxing in the shade, found that if I unbuttoned the cuff the dress was immediatly cooler! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one :) Kay Krewer has some wonderful sheer dresses, one of which I recall is an extremely loose weave, wool, I think, with not a stitch of lining anywhere!!

I did later on sell it to someone that could fit into it :( and hope they are still getting some good out of it.

Regards
                      Vivian Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by Drygoods View Post
                        I looked at the site, but didn't see a sheer dress pattern, do you have a photograph or illustration?
                        It's probably not on her site yet; my pattern is at home. I'll scan it and send you an image if I don't find it anywhere else.
                        Annette Bethke
                        Austin TX

Comment

I know Sandra Altman is working on a sheer dress pattern, taken from an original that I believe belongs to Glenna JO Christin, but I didn't realize it is now on the market ???
                          Vivian Murphy

Comment

Bought mine at the 1860s conference in Harrisburg this past March.
                            Annette Bethke
                            Austin TX

Comment

Yes, the pattern evidently will be up on the website later this week. It's very pretty and likely will be a popular style for many women around the country. Perhaps Miss Bethke is correct, the current popularity IS due to the PP new pattern.:D
                              Mfr,
                              Judith Peebles.

Comment

Working...
                              X